No announcement yet.

Studebaker connection: Friends, Tradition, 43 years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good information there, Mark; I had not seen your Wikipedia entry. Well done.

What did your Dad do in Studebaker's body plant through the years?

When did you graduate from Purdue, Mark; in what years were you an active member of The Purdue Reamer Club? I ask because you reference driving BMSIII when you were there; the same BMS I drove a decade+ earlier. You must have been on the tail end of BMSIII; when was it retired?

Do you have a copy of the Second Edition of A University of Tradition: The Spirit of Purdue? Did you work on the original by chance? Those are extremely well-done books; I have both of them. (Don Armbruster and I are pictured in the Second Edition on Page 265. Don is on the far right as we participated in "Lions" during that October 1, 2011 dedication referenced in Post #12. I'm right next to him; the photo is good enough that you can read my name tag from the day.)

Again, Mark; it's great to have confirmed a third Reamer in The Studebaker Drivers Club. Are you aware of any others? BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I apologize in advance if this is a bit off topic...
      I remember seeing and being very interested in what may have been one of the Boilermaker Specials.
      We had a cabin in upstate New Hampshire on Big Diamond Pond.
      On the many trips up Rt. 3 we would pass through a little lumber mill town of Groveton NH.
      On the north side of town there was, is, a American Legion Post.
      One of these Locomotive cars was parked behind this building for years. Always wanted to stop and check it out but, regretfully never did.
      sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
      Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
      "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

Nothing off-topic in your post, Bill (57pack); we're talking about Boilermaker Specials, here, since the first one was built on a new Studebaker Champion chassis.

Places like American Legion and VFW Posts often have little (or not so little) public road locomotives to promote their post in parades and such, so you probably saw one of those. However, "never say never," because the whereabouts or disposal of most prior Purdue Boilermaker Specials aren't documented. BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Bob, I'll send you a personal message later so we can continue our conversation, since our continuing discussion may become a sidebar to the forum.

Mark L
          Mark L

Comment

As Bob Palma mentioned in post #12 of this thread, for many years he and Tom Lawlis had been looking for any other members of the SDC who were also active members or alumni of the Purdue Reamer Club. This past September, as my daughter and I were checking into the International Meet in Indianapolis, Bob Palma stepped up and introduced himself and Tom. It was the first time all three of us had met in person since we realized our connection to the Reamer Club in posts #11 and #12 ( I had previously met Bob and his wife at the IM in Tacoma).

My daughter took this photograph. From left to right: Mark Laskowski, Bob Palma, and Tom Lawlis. On a side note, today I just noticed that my 1962 Lark Daytona hardtop is visible through the window just over Tom's left shoulder. My daughter and I parked it there so we could check in before we drove out to the show field.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Three_SDC_Reamers_r_rot.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	123.5 KB
ID:	1921951
            Mark L

Comment

It looks like we buy our clothes from the same stores.
              Mark L

Comment

…so, you can tell the good guys by their white socks; yes?
                Great photo!

Comment

Originally posted by skyway View Post
                  …so, you can tell the good guys by their white socks; yes?
                  Great photo!
                  Very funny, Gary!

Mark: Great photo indeed. Thanks for the post. That is indeed your blue '62 Daytona hardtop visible over Tom's left shoulder.

If anyone else ever encounters a Purdue University graduate who was a member of The Purdue Reamer Club at Purdue University and is also a member of The Studebaker Drivers Club, please let us know. So far, the three of us are "it." BP

Comment

Working...
                  X