Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine year make model....?

Hey guys n gals,
    I am digging deeper and deeper into my '52 2R10 C-cab truck. It of course should have a L6 flat head in it, but mine has been swapped out with a V8. Fortunately for cool sake it is a Stude V8.

For parts and service reasons I need to ID the exact stuff I have. My engine numbers are in the back right hand corner {right as seated in truck-of course} near the road draft tube. The numbers are odd shaped like most VIN and ID numbers are, so I am not familiar with some of them. Some I look like 1 and 6 looks like a b etc..
    So here is what it looks like to me:
    V I 6 B 2 1 1
    Could be V I b 8 2 1 1 or V 1 6 8 2 1 1 or .....

Thanks for the help.

From http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com/V8EngineID.asp Studebaker used "I" for "1" and there wouldn't be alfa characters in the middle of the number, odds are it is V168211. So it is likely to be a 232 from a 52 Commander. Because my original 232 didn't come with my project I had to check to see if you had it, but no. Hope this helps.
    V-123,001
    1952 Commander 3H
    V-207,001
    1953 Commander 4H

Comment

Should also have a 2 piece dist. 232 pieces are easy to come by.

Comment

I havent gotten into the Dist. yet. I am trying to systematically sort thru things one at a time. I started at the back...not sure why. Started with the diff and rear brakes, then drive shaft, then trans n OD, then clutch, currently front brakes and trying to turn over the engine...starter is bad and I dont have a 1-1/2" socket to turn the front crank nut...there is always tomorrow right?

Still looking for 2R10 wheel cylinders, front and rear, and a starter. Any idea on what starters will work with my 232 and 3 speed OD trans?

Comment

Originally posted by Alan View Post
          Should also have a 2 piece dist. 232 pieces are easy to come by.
          What part is 2 piece? The shaft its self or some part of the cap is 2 piece?

Comment

51-52's had a housing that sat in the block and was held in by 2, 5/16" X 18 bolts. The dist. sat in that, looks like a Pontiac dizzy. If you need part nos. can dig them up for you. Or if you need a pic. that is worth 1,000 words.

Comment

Originally posted by Alan View Post
              51-52's had a housing that sat in the block and was held in by 2, 5/16" X 18 bolts. The dist. sat in that, looks like a Pontiac dizzy. If you need part nos. can dig them up for you. Or if you need a pic. that is worth 1,000 words.
              My motor does have the 2 piece distributor, so combined with link FBL posted, '52 232 it is.

Alan, I will be happy to type you a 1000 words if you get me pics of relevant pics and part numbers.

Comment

51-52 V8 distributors had a separate shaft that went down to drive the oil pump. The distributor sits on top of that. The distributor drives the oil pump shaft. The newer ones work the same way, but the oil pump drive shaft is pinned to the distributor. Hence, two parts, the distributor and the oil pump drive shaft.

Comment

On page 107 in the Chassis Parts Cat. of the 2 piece it is 601-1. Here is a pic. of the 2.

Comment

Working...
                  X