Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another loss

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Another loss

    I just recieved a message that my long time friend Steve Roberts of Byron Ga. passed away today. I first met Steve in the mid 80's. He had a sweetheart of a wife in Miss Peggy and two little boys,a 57 Transtar and an Avanti. He had several other Studebakers but I can't recall them right now. Steve was a very interesting man with a powerful personality Sevaral years ago Steve's health began to fail and the doctors could not figure out why. As best I understand,Steve was finally diagnosed with a combination of ALS and Lymes disease. He spent the last few years of his life in a wheelchair. The last meet I remember him attending Was the Last Ga. State meet in Albany. He was preceded in death by one son. Please remember His wife Peggy and son David in your prayers.


    Thank you NT
    Neil Thornton

  • #2
    Will do. I may have met him in Albany. Was that 2008?
    Last edited by Flashback; 09-27-2011, 08:56 PM.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by rockinhawk View Post
      I just recieved a message that my long time friend Steve Roberts of Byron Ga. passed away today. I first met Steve in the mid 80's. He had a sweetheart of a wife in Miss Peggy and two little boys, a '57 Transtar and an Avanti. He had several other Studebakers but I can't recall them right now. Steve was a very interesting man with a powerful personality Sevaral years ago Steve's health began to fail and the doctors could not figure out why. As best I understand,Steve was finally diagnosed with a combination of ALS and Lymes disease. He spent the last few years of his life in a wheelchair. The last meet I remember him attending Was the Last Ga. State meet in Albany. He was preceded in death by one son. Please remember His wife Peggy and son David in your prayers. Thank you NT
      Gee, Neil; do you mean they were "two little boys" in the 1980s, and are thus now adults? I would hope so for their sake; sad enough to lose their Dad, worse yet if they are still youngsters.

      All the best to the family. BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

      Ayn Rand:
      "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

      G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
        Gee, Neil; do you mean they were "two little boys" in the 1980s, and are thus now adults? I would hope so for their sake; sad enough to lose their Dad, worse yet if they are still youngsters.

        All the best to the family. BP
        Yes, They were little when I Met them. I was at my shop recently when a Big Dodge diesel pulled through the gate. A young man got out and introduced himself as David Roberts
        I shook his hand and invited him in to look around and visit awhile. It's common for people to stop in to look at all the old cars when the gate is open. This man looked at me and acted as if I should know him. I gues it obvious that I didn't recognize him so he added "I'm Steve Roberts' Son." I had not seen him since he had become a man, but I shook his hand again, Told him I was so glad to see him, and asked about Steve.
        He said "I get that all the time. When I say I'm David Roberts, no one seems to care. When I say I'm Steve's son,It makes all the difference in the world."
        I was very impressed with the man he had become. This was shortly after his brother had passed away suddenly.
        Neil Thornton

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Flashback View Post
          Will do. I may have met him in Albany. Was that 2008?
          Yes I believe that's right. The young man pushing his wheel chair was the son that died recently. I'm sorry but I can't remember his name.
          Neil Thornton

          Comment


          • #6
            Steve was laid to rest today in Macon Ga. The services were held in the neighboring town of Byron Ga. at Peachtree Baptist Church.
            He was carried to the cemetary in his own 57 Transtar driven by his brother who finished the restoration for Steve. He was followed by 4 Hawks driven by members of the So.Ga. Chapter. The rest of the procession was longer than my rear view mirrow could see. He was given tribute by the Clergy, his family, and military honors.
            Steve suffered from the effects of ALS for most of the last decade, and asked that in lieu of flowers or other consideration, that contributions be made to the ALS Foundation 3300 East Sunrise dr. Tucson Az.85718.
            Neil Thornton

            Comment

            Working...
            X