Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The street-legal Plain Brown Wrapper....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The street-legal Plain Brown Wrapper....

...last week at The 2011 Pure Stock Muscle Car Drag Race, posted a better ET (12.664, to be exact) than the last three cars in this million-dollar drag race:

http://www.wimp.com/dragrace/

Hmmmm.....so much for almost 50 years ofadvanced technology....<GGG> BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

LOL. People under estimate the Wrapper...and Ted, too. My little 55 HT LOOKS better than those modern HiPo offerings, at least in my opinion
    Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

$225,000 starting price for a 2 year old car that is only 1 second quicker than the wrapper and it came in second. Just doesn't make economic sense. Must be the CASTF in me.

Comment

Originally posted by Alan View Post
        $225,000 starting price for a 2 year old car that is only 1 second quicker than the wrapper and it came in second. Just doesn't make economic sense. Must be the CASTF in me.
        "Only one second" when you are talking going from the 12's to the 11's is a major deal BTW. Maybe a 200 extra HP deal. The Brown wrapper wrapper is a amazing car, but you can't deny 50 years of technology. i.e. that Nisson has AC, cruise and all the amenities, corners like it's on rails and gets decent fuel economy. A better comparison would be the Mustang that's the same money in 1964 dollars as the wrapper, but goes a bit faster and has all the modern goddies.
        JDP Maryland

Comment

On top of what John pointed out, also consider the actual production numbers of the PBW type cars (1?). Add the fact that these cars were probably driven to the track and back home or wherever, and that they were running on an airport runway versus a prepared drag strip and the comparison fades a little more. As impressive as the Wrapper is, modern technology definitely has the edge. Still an interesting observation.

Pat
          Pat Dilling
          Olivehurst, CA
          Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Some people have commented to me privately that it is occasionally difficult to imagine this being a pro-Studebaker forum, when folks fall all over themselves to prove how "cool" they are, doing their darndest to undermine what was obviously posted as a little fun.

The phrase "lighten up" comes to mind. BP
            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
            "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

WOW that is a great video .. I would love to be able to drive any one or all of them cars . I have a couple SVT fords that are fast and handle like a dream and with all the ammenties . Id rather drive them on longer trips then my old 64 Daytona .. Still driving the Studebaker is fun with all the peoples stares the sound of that V8 and all the comments it makes my day .
              Love my Lark

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                Some people have commented to me privately that it is occasionally difficult to imagine this being a pro-Studebaker forum, when folks fall all over themselves to prove how "cool" they are, doing their darndest to undermine what was obviously posted as a little fun.

I'm very pro Studebaker, but perhaps having grown up in South Bend I don't put them on quite as high a pedestal. Since I spent a lot of time on the drag strip, I felt I had to point out that a one second difference in ET when you are in the 11-12 second range is a big deal. Not taking a thing away from the R3's, they were amazing, but so is a lot of modern iron. I grew up having to live with my Studebaker being called a South Bend Vibrator and having a girl friend ask "Why did you buy a Studebaker ?", put stayed pro-Studebaker for 50 years. I don't love them because I think they were the finest car ever built, I love them in spite of the fact that they weren't.
                JDP Maryland

Comment

I have to agree with Bob on this one. It just appears that there are some members who have to pour ice water on any flicker of pride a Stude owner comes up with. Given the size of Studebaker corp, the amount of money they had available and the size of their engineering team; they gave more performance per $, per engineer and per the size of the company than ANY production automobile company on the globe.... then or now!!

Comment

Originally posted by Jett289 View Post
                    WOW that is a great video .. I would love to be able to drive any one or all of them cars . I have a couple SVT fords that are fast and handle like a dream and with all the ammenties . Id rather drive them on longer trips then my old 64 Daytona .. Still driving the Studebaker is fun with all the peoples stares the sound of that V8 and all the comments it makes my day .
                    I feel the same way about driving a R2 Avanti on a summer day. All the discomfort is worth it when I see the cars reflection in a store window or get a thumbs up from another driver.
                    JDP Maryland

Comment

Hmmmm.....so much for almost 50 years ofadvanced technology....<GGG> BP
                      Hmmmmm . . . Bob, don't forget to add the PBW is the only one which will carry six passengers and with enough headroom for the driver to wear a homburg. I mean really . . . .

Yes, the PBW is a certified Studebaker legend. We should be eternally grateful to George and Ted for keeping the flame alive.

No, the 12.664 sec PBW is a drag-strip-only race car. Cuts a quick, fast quarter mile, but a real, usable car, no. Driving 4.56 gears on the highway at 75 MPH for a long trip at 4,000 RPMs, a toss-up as to which would happen first - the driver would go deaf from the noise, go broke paying $4 gal @ 8 MPG or the R3 would toast some irreplaceable components.

Maybe, comparisons of Studebakers with the best of modern cars is a losing battle. Today's cars are quick on the drag strip, fast on the top end, handle on a road course, stop on a dime, quiet on the highway, decent fuel economy, pass current emissions tests, very safe and comfortable to drive. Let's just appreciate Studebakers as unique survivors with unique attributes.

jack vines
                      PackardV8

Comment

I have an Acura Legend Coupe, the second top $ Honda sold at that time (the NSX was just too wild for me). It goes like stink, handles like a dream and looks good, too. Still, if I leave the Stude at home and take the Acura instead, the girls at the drive-through are always disappointed. One asked: Ahh, what happened to your SPORTS car?
                        Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
                          Hmmmmm . . . Bob, don't forget to add the PBW is the only one which will carry six passengers and with enough headroom for the driver to wear a homburg. I mean really . . . .

Yes, the PBW is a certified Studebaker legend. We should be eternally grateful to George and Ted for keeping the flame alive.

No, the 12.664 sec PBW is a drag-strip-only race car. Cuts a quick, fast quarter mile, but a real, usable car, no. Driving 4.56 gears on the highway at 75 MPH for a long trip at 4,000 RPMs, a toss-up as to which would happen first - the driver would go deaf from the noise, go broke paying $4 gal @ 8 MPG or the R3 would toast some irreplaceable components.

Maybe, comparisons of Studebakers with the best of modern cars is a losing battle. Today's cars are quick on the drag strip, fast on the top end, handle on a road course, stop on a dime, quiet on the highway, decent fuel economy, pass current emissions tests, very safe and comfortable to drive. Let's just appreciate Studebakers as unique survivors with unique attributes.

jack vines

On a related note, I have to think Studebaker would have been lucky to survive even a few more years with it's limited engineering funds needed to keep up much beyond the 70's. They performed almost impossible feats to hang in as long as they did, imagine the budget needed just to comply with emission and safety regulations. How likely would they be to be able to be competitive today without being say a re-badged Mercedes ?
                          JDP Maryland

Comment

Yes: the new stuff is more pleasant to drive (most of the time); but, the Old School vehicles def receive a lot more thumbs-ups!

And on a more pragmatic note: I'm rather tall and the ergonomics of many current production vehicles 'suck', to be polite.
                            Last edited by 1962larksedan; 09-27-2011, 03:18 PM.
                            --------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

Jealousy and trying to pull the rug out from someone that does their darndest to promte our marque is not in everybodys blood. Serves no purpose other than causing ill will. Poor taste at it's best. Thanks Bob and keep on keeping on. jimmijim. I for one commend you for your efforts. No fun allowed here without repercussion from the bean shooters. jimmijim
                              Originally posted by BobPalma View Post

Last edited by jimmijim8; 09-27-2011, 03:46 PM.
                              sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Working...
                              X