Saving Flooded Seats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saving Flooded Seats

I retrieved a set of Speedster seats from my friends basement after the little rain we had here in Binghamton. They soaked for about about a week before we were allowed back in and they finally got his basement pumped. The web doesn't have a lot on cleaning flooded leather seats. A taxidermy friend who go flooded on the same street said to dry them off with no heat and condition them from the back. He also said to keep them on the frames or they will shrink when they dry. That's the Catch 22. They will never dry out on the frame. I have the front seat covers hanging on my clothes line drying but am trying to keep the others on the frames and dry them from the back side. This group knows everything. Anybody got any ideas? A favorite conditioner?
    Bill
    http://www.rustyrestorations.org/index.php
    sigpic

I just bought a car that was totally submerged in a flood for a week. The only way to really dry them out is take them apart. If you don't they will get mold growing inside them. Just let the leather dry first then take them apart so the foam can dry.

Comment

Lots of leather conditioners and treatments out there but us old motorcyclists that get our leather suits wet riding in the rain use cod liver oil to restore and feed the leather to like new. Yep, the same stuff your Mother used to make you take. No..it doesn't smell like fish on the leather.

Comment

Originally posted by clarkwd View Post
        >>>This group knows everything. Anybody got any ideas? A favorite conditioner?
        Bill
        About 10 years ago I bought a Brand X that had fallen through the ice and was retrieved. I bought it several months later after a shop dried it out and got everything working again. However, I did ask them how they dried it out. They put it in their paint booth, turned on the heat AND put a dehumidifier (like you'd used in a damp basement) inside the vehicle. The seats were cloth & vinyl, not leather though.

Just a thought ...If you have a smaller enclosed area where the seats & a dehumidifier all can fit into, you may want to go the route.

Comment

The trim shop has told me, (on cloth seats) to pull the covers off, and wash them in the washing machine, dry them & put them back on.

Jim
          "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
          their Memorials!

Comment

Saving Flooded Seats

Its been a year and a half since the big Susquehanna River flood. We dragged a set of Speedster seats out of my friends basement where they had soaked for a week in river water, silt, chemicals and sewage. They set on his lawn for a week or so to let the water drip out of the frames and I took them home and took them apart. One of the grossest tasks I ever took on. I pressure washed the seat frames, but pressure washing does not remove the silt. You have to wipe it off. I threw the leathers on my clothes line and hosed them down. No pressure wash, just a water hose. The only soap I used was Lexol cleaner. I probably washed each one five times until the water started to run clear. When I thought they were clean we had a few nice fall days and I left them hanging to drip dry. When they were past dripping, I moved them inside my garage where they would be out of the weather. Its not heated, but it was comfortable warm. As they dried, I sprayed them down with Lexol Conditioner and tried to keep them wet with Lexol on both the inside and outside. The sewed in foam did not come apart, so I just hosed the foam down with Lexol. Every night I would come home and my garage would smell like the flood, until one night a couple weeks later my garage started to smell like leather. They hung there for almost a year until I moved them inside this fall. My upholsterer had time to do them last week and I took him the frames and leather and he put them together. They are just as supple as a new leather coat. They have some stains that should clean up with more cleaner or with some dye, but I'm pretty happy with how they came out.
            Bill

Last edited by avantilover; 03-17-2013, 07:37 PM.
            sigpic

Comment

Great to see it worked out! I also agree removing the covers and washing them is the only way to properly do it and elimate mold growth. Hopefully this gives some incentive to Sandy victims to do the same with water soaked seats.

Craig

Comment

god, those are nice

Comment

Originally posted by clarkwd View Post

Comment

Bill, that is a wonderful job you did on those. Such patience!

Congratulations on a well-executed plan that paid off.

Cool beans! BP
                    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
                    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Wow! patience indeed. The final result is fabulous. Good work.
                      Joe Roberts
                      '61 R1 Champ
                      '65 Cruiser
                      Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Are those original seat covers or are they Renee's re-pops?
                        Jerry Forrester
                        Forrester's Chrome
                        Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Forrester View Post
                          Are those original seat covers or are they Renee's re-pops?
                          Jerry
                          These seats came out of a car restored somewhere in the midwest maybe 15 years ago. I'm not a Speedster seat expert, but I'm pretty certain they are not Rene'es and I don't think they all original. They may be reworked originals. I know Renee's have one piece of leather in the front, not seamed like these. I don't recall which way the originals are, but I'm guessing they were one piece. If you look at the awkward seam on the outside passenger side back, Renee has that seam parallel with the edge, not wappyjaw like this one. I'm still happy with them.
                          Bill
                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X