No announcement yet.

H.a.m.b.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kudos to Churchill and Egbert for their valient attempts at turning things around. Their persistence resulted in us being blessed with some cool products in style and performance.
    Completely agree, but add Brooks Stevens, Bill Bourke and Raymond Loewy. That we have the Hawks, Super Larks and Avanti was a superhuman accomplishment in the face of insurmountable obstacles.

After that, it was just a matter of goin' thru the motions of a slow death.
    As stated earlier, getting everyone here to agree on this subject will never happen.

And at that, the company didn't go out of business. They only gave up on building vehicles.
    Again, agree. My research indicates the decision to get out of the automobile business was made in 1955. It just took ten years to wind down all the dealer contracts, labor contracts, offload the pension obligations, move assets into acquisitions and steal silently off into the night.

jack vines
    PackardV8

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
      \Again, agree. My research indicates the decision to get out of the automobile business was made in 1955. It just took ten years to wind down all the dealer contracts, labor contracts, offload the pension obligations, move assets into acquisitions and steal silently off into the night.

jack vines
      Maybe so, but then why go to all the trouble of creating and marketing the whole Lark line up, and then the Avanti? Even taking the time and funds to update the Hawk to the GT seems like too much trouble just to wind down...no matter, would not happen like that in today's world. Junior.
      sigpic
      1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

agree with junior... don't think Egbert would have pressed on with the avanti if the corp.
        was winding down the auto line.

was 1955 the start of diversification?
        Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

There was what I think, an obvious disconnect between the board members and their automotive division cheif(s). If you've read about Egbert's achievements BEFORE he was tapped to take the helm at Studebaker, you have to conclude that he wasn't hired to wind things down. Possibly the Lark's momentary flash was enough to convince a majority of board members that further pursuit of auto production might add to the bottom line.
          No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Working...
          X