Knowledgeable Opinions Wanted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gordr View Post
    The only reason I can see to remove the engine is if there was a frost plug in back face of the block that was leaking, and I don't think there are any there, save for the one behind the distributor tower, and it goes into the crankcase, not the water jacket.

I'd say incompetence played a role here, but the guy should have known better than to take the car to such a shop in the first place. Modern shops simply aren't geared to working on collector cars, even if they are vastly simpler mechanically.

I agree that the flat rate guide is next to useless. Once you factor in lack of relevant experience, corroded fasteners, and years and years a dirt, it all goes out the window.
    Originally posted by JDP View Post
    What you may not think about is the time guide does not address 50 year old parts, a 30 minute estimate to replace a heat riser could turn into a 4-8 hour job. i.e the stud breaks, so you have to remove the manifold, but the manifold to head bolts are rusted solid so you have to pull a head, bust the manifold with a hammer and remove the bolts with a torch and a pipe wrench. BTW, I actually had to do that more than once over the years.
    I guess I should add that this particular Lark is an example of a time machine dating back to 1962. It spent most of it's entire life in a climate controlled museum and I doubt there is a rusty bolt anywhere on this car. When the owner took possession of this car it had roughly 6000 miles on it. Today I would imagine it is hovering around 12,000 miles. It still has that new car smell used only to go to local cruise night in the area.

Allen
    1964 GT Hawk
    PSMCDR 2014
    Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
    PSMCDR 2013
    Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

Comment

I find myself working on old cars (Studebakers included) at least once a week. I did front wheel cylinders, brake hoses and shoes on a rusty 63 T-Bird yesterday. I had to deal with rusty bolts and brake lines (and the grumpy old fart that owns the car). Only a couple of hours worth of work.
      The last front cover I pulled off of a Stude was in a Champ truck. Only a couple of hours,including converting the front seal.
      Granted, I spend more time on these cars and trucks than I should, but I tend to slow down to keep from breaking stuff. Patience has become my friend.
      This poor guy with the Lark got bent over pretty hard. I could not, with a good conscience charge anyone labor prices like that. I think I tend to under charge a bit, but I don't rely on working on old cars to support myself and my family. Fedex does that.
      Jamie McLeod
      Hope Mills, NC

1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
      1958 Commander "Christine"
      1964 Wagonaire "Louise"
      1955 Commander Sedan
      1964 Champ
      1960 Lark

Comment

Hey I am qualified to answer this question. In my knowledgeable opinion after reading all the facts . They saw him coming and thought that they had a patsie . My father had an auto repair business all my extra time was spent helping down at the shop. They just flat ripped him off. I would have a nice talk with the owners of the establishment on his behalf. If it wasn't resolved by the talk then I would have him demand a partial refund. If they failed then small claims court , Better business bureau, California dept of Automotive repair complaint. Well you see where this is going. We have got to stand up beside our friends and neighbors and say this ain't right. Be a part of the solution or you are part of the problem. Feel free to print and take this with you. Thank you for helping him. If I was closer I would in a heartbeat.
        Mabel 1949 Champion
        Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
        Gus 1958 Transtar
        The Prez 1955 President State
        Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
        Daisy 1954 Regal Commander Starlight Coupe
        Fresno,Ca

Comment

Working...
        X