stripped thread - helicoil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stripped thread - helicoil

Just pulled heads off 63 289 R2. Six of the bolts came out with more than usual resistance due to helicoil being inserted in block by previous owner off center (not 90 degrees) to block. Will take to machine shop for usual rebuild shop work and, hopefully, correct helicoil alignment. This is the first (of about 6 289 rebuilds) that I have encouontered helicoils, any advise would be appreciated. Ken, Deltaville, Va

Wow, helicoiled head bolts?? No way I'd feel comfortable doing that! In my mind, a helicoil is a band-aid, not a fix.

Personally, on a rebuild I would go the extra distance to get another block. But since yours is an R2 I'm not sure what I'd do. It's a real quandary.
    Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth—let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
    Romans 15:13
    Deuteronomy 31:6
    Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

I would recommend using these except using the WD40. CRC 3-36 would be my choice. Also would not use pink Loctite. I would use the high temp 620. http://www.timesert.com/

Last edited by JJWMACHINECO; 09-24-2011, 06:01 AM.
      sigpic

J&JW Machine Co.
      Bubbaland South
      Resident Machinist

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Andrews View Post
        Wow, helicoiled head bolts?? No way I'd feel comfortable doing that! In my mind, a helicoil is a band-aid, not a fix.

Personally, on a rebuild I would go the extra distance to get another block. But since yours is an R2 I'm not sure what I'd do. It's a real quandary.
        R2 does make this more complicated as I would otherwse junk it; there is a machine shop in Richmond that says they can weld block, so that's a possibility, but some videos I found yesterday claim helicoil fix is stronger than original block threads but I view that with some skepticism. My engine rebuilded is a former NASCAR engine builder and I will see what he says but I will not see him for a couple of weeks. Ken

Comment

I wish I'd watched that video before attempting to put helicoils in the block of a Harley (actually an S&S, 107") motor that had stripped threads in the cylinder studs. I got one pf them just a hair off center, and it caused problems.
          Joe H

Comment

I have successfully used "Keenserts" and thread inserts many times on industrial engines with good success.
            Talk to an engine shop to see what they use, or to see what they suggest.
            Might be easier to let them install one for you.
            Don't let it stop you in your tracks, Ken!
            Jeff
            HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

I agree with Jeff on Keenserts. they require a larger hole, (will wipe out the crossthreaded Helicoil threads) and lock in place. They need a machine shop to put them in, though. No shade tree mechanic may apply.

Comment

Working...
              X