Brake linings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brake linings

A friend of mine insists that I have to replace the brake shoes on my truck. He says that because it has sat for many years they have to be bad. I dont see why. They are old, but they are not bonded style so there is no glues to go bad. They do not contain a moist or oil based product in them that can dry out.

The shoe plates themselves are not rusty, the rivets are not loose or corroded. The lining material is not cracked or peeling or curling up on the edges.

I dont see any valid REASON why I have to change them. Can anyone give me a valid reason?

If you had a truck you drove for 1 mile every day for 30 years, it would only have 10-11k miles on it and I doubt anyone would just choose to change the shoes "because".

It sounds to me like you are correct, but be sure to refresh or replace all of the old hydraulic units and flex hoses, with a through flush and blead of the system. Also check steel brake lines.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

You are correct. There's nothing in the brake shoes themselves to go bad with time.

While the shoes may be fine, the remainder of the system is suspect until proven good. If it were my truck, I'd flush the brake system completely and then drive it cautiously for the first few trips. The rubber seals in the wheel cylinders can fail with age. Water can be absorbed into the brake fluid and rust the bottom of the wheel and master cylinders, indeed, even the inside of the brake lines.

jack vines
      PackardV8

Comment

+1 This is how I felt about it.
        And yes, all of the fluid containing components will be changed including the brake tubing and flex hoses, wheel cylinders, and MC. The springs are the only thing I am debating over. I cant find a hardware kit anywhere, but they dont look bad so Im conflicted. I have a GREAT old school auto parts store in my town and may be able to find something I can mix and match and make something that will work. After I pull them apart and clean them up I will make a final decision.

Do you guys know if any rust converters like naval jelly or por 15 or a spray converter will hurt the springs. Seems like they etch the metal so I wonder if they will weaken the spring tension?

Comment

Working...
        X