• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Lamberti papers #20

Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

INTERNATIONAL.
    3. Australia. Mr Chapman is Alex Chapman, General Manager of Canada Cycle & Motor Co here in Melbourne, Australia. The extent of his testing of the 6 cyl market in Australia amounted to the importation of one RHC 6 cyl four dooor model into Melbourne for evaluation but we went no further, opting to remain with the V8 engines on all our saleable Studebakers for Australia.

\"QUIGLEY DOWN UNDER\"
    MELBOURNE.

Comment

Interesting #3 and #6.

As well, I just realized that the 'non-functional parts' on my Studebakers must have been made in Canada! (I'm so embarrassed for my country)

Comment

The first time we did tire/wheel maintenance (I don't remember the actual need) on our '64 Daytona, we discovered that the hubcaps were made in Canada. A surprise, but my dad made it seem like a positive thing. He had wanted to get one of the last cars made in South Bend, and if the hubcaps were foreign made, it must have been real close to the last. He was very proud of that car.

Comment

slippery stuff on the rubber to make the doors slide into place
          Mr. Minkel is checking on a couple of men for the job.
          No women need apply?
          sigpic

Comment

geesh Bubba, I thought "rubber" was the technical term. I have a lot to learn from the masters on this forum.

Comment

Not knowing much about the '64 & '65 models, did they install the emergency foot brake?

Comment

Originally posted by Guster View Post
                Not knowing much about the '64 & '65 models, did they install the emergency foot brake?
                Yes; 1964-1966 "Lark-types" with Left-Hand Drive all had a foot-oprerated emergency/parking brake. BP
                We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Persistence pays off big time!!!

Fast forward 5 years ...and Cummins would be back in South Bend working with former Studebaker Engineers, in a former Studebaker plant installing their NHC-250 Diesel Engines in M-54 Series, 5-Ton Military trucks for Kaiser Jeep Corporation. Once Cummins got their foot in the door, they kept sending engines up to South Bend for the next 20 years!!!

Comment

So, does that settle the "where do the mirrors mount" question? Evidently, prior to this meeting May 21, 1963, the factory guys thought they mounted on the fender. Then they decided they should be reachable from the window. I'm assuming this means on the door. Or do some still argue that they were both until this meeting and then 'only' on the door?
                    Jim
                    Often in error, never in doubt
                    http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

____1966 Avanti II RQA 0088_______________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152____________http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by HAWK64 View Post
                      INTERNATIONAL.
                      3. Australia. Mr Chapman is Alex Chapman, General Manager of Canada Cycle & Motor Co here in Melbourne, Australia. The extent of his testing of the 6 cyl market in Australia amounted to the importation of one RHC 6 cyl four dooor model into Melbourne for evaluation but we went no further, opting to remain with the V8 engines on all our saleable Studebakers for Australia.
                      And that one Commander 6 4 door sedan survives against the odds in the hands of a club member.

Comment

Working...
                      X