**it Happens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• **it Happens

So I'm driving home from Beachwood and I smell that smell, we have all smelled it......some type of oil based product burning off the exhaust. NICE!

Quickly enough I find a parking lot. I look under the Hawk. OH BOY> A big puddle of something is forming rapidly. I hope it's red... I think. I would rather deal with power steering, and / or transmission then engine.

Sure enough a power steering hose is (hide the wife and kids) pissing fluid like a race horse. UT OH!

Shut it off, cut the power steering belt, curse, re-enter car.

So first thing this morning (On Vacation) I remove the hose and find a local shop that makes hoses and I replace it.

But I can't fiqure out why that hose after only 25-30 years next to the exhaust would have failed. I sure hope this new hose is made to last. So in closing when YOU experience a slight blip in the STUDE WORLD just know **it happens to us all.

Hi Jim Thanks for coming to the show , If its any consolation , Years ago at a zone meet in Lancaster I had a throw out bearing fail , Luckily Old friends let me borrow their Stude to get home and a week later I went back out there with a trailer to get the 55 Take care , Ed

Comment

We had just sold Lark VIII girl's 56 Golden Hawk, and the next day I was backing it out of the garage and the power steering hose failed just as yours did. I had to get that replaced as the new owner was on his way from out of state to pick up the car.

husband of Lark VIII girl

Comment

You mean like sat. when I was on the way to a show n' shine, 3 blocks to go, and I smell antifreeze, then look at the temp gauge and the pointer is pointing to no-man's land north of 240 degrees? yup, know the feeling. (blown fuse for the electric fan) taking it in stride, what else can you do? regards, Junior.
        sigpic
        1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

Yup, and going to the TriState meet in NC a couple of weeks ago, the truck starts shaking pretty violently....with a cracked rear hub.( Axles are being magnafluxed this week too) Who'd think after 45 years or more, our cars would have some problems? I'm irritated enough when my body has 'em
          Ron Dame
          '63 Champ

Comment

The worst power steering hose failure that I recall was when Cathy was taking our 1963 Daytona Wagonaire down to New Jersey to pick up some rechromed bumpers and other parts for our 1953 Commander Starliner. The hose failed in New Jersey. Of course it couldn't fail close to home or when I was in the car.
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Gary,
              Don't blame New Jersey.
              On another note........I am going to Waterbury but I think now in a FORD!? Oh Boy.

Comment

Originally posted by jg61hawk View Post
                Gary,
                Don't blame New Jersey.
                On another note........I am going to Waterbury but I think now in a FORD!? Oh Boy.
                I am not blaming NJ, just pointing out that Cathy was far from home.
                How come the Ford? Is your Hawk sick?
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

We may need a Weasel that floats

Comment

Gary,

The Hawk is sick...it suffers from Aquaphobia.
                    Aquaphobiais an abnormal and persistent fear of water.[1] Aquaphobia is a specific phobia that involves a level of fear that is beyond the car's control or that may interfere with daily life.[2] Car's suffer aquaphobia in many ways and may experience it even though they realize the water in an ocean, a river, or even a bathtub poses no imminent threat., however, they fear RAIN. They may avoid such activities as car shows.[3] This anxiety commonly extends to getting wet or splashed with water when it is unexpected, or being pushed or thrown into a body of water. Stude's that have barely survived rust fear ever getting wet again. My Humble Opinion.

Comment

I am pretty funny. And yes Gary your blaming New Jersey because you are New York and you wish your football teams would stop using our real estate. (And I know not to start a sentence with And) And I will continue to do it anyways. (I mean anyway). And I know the over use of parenthies () (excuse my spelling) drives some people crazy.

Comment

Working...
                      X