49 Studebaker Pickup vin location

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by xtrmes View Post
    The number on the sticker is the 1r number so i guess it was by the motor. The step area has no rust in that area were the tag should be and it doesn't look like there ever was one there. I found a couple different sites saying not all the trucks had a serial number on them.
    So I guess I'll use the same number.
    I agree with your approach of stamping the old 1R engine number on a serial plate. However, for the historical record, it is not true that Studebaker built some trucks without serial numbers. They ALL had serial numbers, at least since the early 1930s. The company kept records of annual production and exactly how many serial numbers were used each year.

Admittedly, the location of the serial plate changed over the years, and Canadian-built trucks had them in a different place from US trucks. It is also true that while most serial plates were spot welded, some apparently were held on only with a couple of sheet metal screws. But there were no trucks without serial numbers.
    Skip Lackie

Comment

Originally posted by Skip Lackie View Post
      I agree with your approach of stamping the old 1R engine number on a serial plate. However, for the historical record, it is not true that Studebaker built some trucks without serial numbers. They ALL had serial numbers, at least since the early 1930s. The company kept records of annual production and exactly how many serial numbers were used each year.

Admittedly, the location of the serial plate changed over the years, and Canadian-built trucks had them in a different place from US trucks. It is also true that while most serial plates were spot welded, some apparently were held on only with a couple of sheet metal screws. But there were no trucks without serial numbers.
      Well that may be the case I have checked the truck from top to bottom and have found no evidence of it ever having one. Looked everyplace. But it's really not that big of a deal for me as long as I can get it registered.

Comment

^^That right there is the #1 most important thing to do, getting the registration complete. I have heard too many stories of people building vehicles without getting it in their name first, only to find a paperwork nightmare awaiting them when they try. A car that can't be registered isn't worth putting a nickle into.
        Travis..

Comment

If you need some help, let me know. I did a lot of work to redesign and print a VIN plate for my 1953 2R11. I found a place that did a laser etching, using a very well detailed *.jpq file that I created from the old plate. My new plate is exceptional.
          Larry King
          Saratoga Springs, NY
          1953 2R11

Comment

Larry that would be cool. I ordered the new plate and I was going to ask how the numbers are stamped in the plate. Plus your only about 45 minutes away from me.
            I certainly want to get all the paper work done before I do anything to it.

Comment

Send me your email address and I"ll send you my jpg files. I was able to order my VIN Plate from a place called Industrial Nameplate, Inc. I communicated through email with "John" whose email address was ini@tds.net. The plate was a 5.25" x 2.375" satin finish stainless steel plate. You can also get a mirror polish finish, but I stuck with satin to be as original as possible.

My jpg files are nearly perfect. The old plate serial number was inscribed into the metal. I used my scanner to get an image from the old plate and the etched serial number. When you look at my new plate, there is no etched/inscribed number, but the image looks like the real thing. Really sharp.

Also, go to http://www.studegarage.com/REFDATA/2R_sernum.htm for more info on serial numbers.
              Last edited by larryking52; 09-24-2011, 05:42 AM.
              Larry King
              Saratoga Springs, NY
              1953 2R11

Comment

i'd be happy with any plate that will work.

Comment

Working...
                X