Overdrive Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overdrive Question

If I am going up hill, pulling a trailer, is it okay to disengage my over drive while in motion?

If you mean pull out the OD handle.... No! Don't do that while you are moving. If everything is as it should be, pressing the accelerator to the floor will engage the kick-down switch and take it out of overdrive. Lots of people wire it up with a toggle switch under the dash.

Comment

What Matt said. DO NOT pull out the OD handle while the car is moving without flooring the accelerator first (like putting an auto trans car in passing gear). Doing that will disengage the od - you should feel the car "shift down" and engine revs will go up if everything is working right.

Terry

Comment

Everything doesn't appear to be working right. Putting the peddle to the floor doesn't disengage the OD. Terry made it sound like I can pull the OD handle after flooring the accelerator, and Matthew stated the OD automatically disengages when the peddle is floored. Mine does not automatically disengage. Is it a simple fix, should I pull the handle, or should I simply downshift? Thanks.

Comment

There should be a kickown switch attached to the throttle linkage. When the gas pedal is pressed to the floor, the switch disengages the OD (ie, puts you in straight 3rd gear). Yours may not be adjusted correctly; the Shop Manual discusses the adjustment.

Don't pull the handle out while you are driving. I have been told by some 'old timers' that the handle can be pulled out while in motion, but you must be in straight 3rd gear (not 3rd OD) and accelerating when you do it. I've never had the guts to try it myself.........<G>
          Paul
          Winston-Salem, NC
          Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

Are you sure the car is even in od? On level ground, above 30 mph with the od supposedly engaged, what happens when youy take your foot off the gas? If the engine drops to an idle, the od is not working. If the engine stays at road speed, let the road speed drop below 30 mph. You should hear a click from the od relay and the engine rpm will drop to idle.

Terry

Comment

Good thinking, Terry. Can't kick it down if it's already in direct.

We need to get somebody among us with good video-making skills to produce a few videos. A video showing normal operation of the overdrive, and how to get the most out of it would be a good start, followed by one that shows how to troubleshoot an inoperative overdrive.

Number three should be a video illustrating the proper words to use while operating a rear hub puller; oh heck, i mis-typed that!
              Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Gord I don't think there are Proper Words for using a Hub Puller. More like the most un proper words. Thats what it takes to get the job done. LOL
                Mabel 1949 Champion
                Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
                Gus 1958 Transtar
                The Prez 1955 President State
                Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
                Daisy 1954 Regal Commander Starlight Coupe
                Fresno,Ca

Comment

Definately in OD. Above 30 if I let of the gas then go, I can hear a large change in rpm. If I then drop below 30 I can feel and hear it disengage.

Comment

If you can't get the kick down to work, a simple down shift to 2nd will work. I agree with everyone else. Don't take it out of OD while moving. And I am an old timer.
                    Neil Thornton

Comment

check your private messages.
                      Russ

Originally posted by mrhingle View Post
                      If I am going up hill, pulling a trailer, is it okay to disengage my over drive while in motion?

Russ Shop Foreman \"Rusty Nut Garage\"
                      53 2R6 289 5SpdOD (driver)
                      57 SH (project)
                      60 Lark VIII 2dr sd (driver)

Comment

I have disengaged mine while moving. After kicking it out by flooring it, the handle should then be free to pull out. If you try to pull it while it's in o/d, the handle won't pull (I tried it once).
                        Travis..

Comment

If it doesn't kick down when you "floor" it, you might try a quigk double clutch while you have the pedal to the metal.
                          Neil Thornton

Comment

All the above indicates the kickdown switch isn't working.

Terry

Comment

Working...
                            X