Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jngregory
    replied
    Yep, I echo Joe's comments. I have used the Turner kit and the Steeltech/Levesque kit, and both work fine once they are installed. Turner's is a little better finished, and the Steeltech kit often requires some grinding to the bracket to get it to fit - nothing too radical. I like the larger rotor on the Steeltech setup (with 15" rims) since I race my coupe, but the Turner smaller rotors are just fine for street use. I upgraded the MC to a firewall mount, dual MC and never had a problem. Still got drums in back on the coupe, but put rear discs on the sedan - I think the rear discs are probably unnecessary, since 70%+ of the stopping power is up front.

Gary, after a few years, I replaced the GM calipers with a Howe dual piston caliper on the Steeltech bracket - lighter, a little more clamping power, but pricier of course.

Leave a comment:

• JoeHall
    replied
    I'm thinking its the same kit. The AutoZone part number I listed also uses the OEM Stude inner & outter wheel bearings, and needs no modification, but an extra washer below the castle nut is handy, since the rotor is about .100" narrower than the OEM drum.
    Yes Gary, there are more modern kits available, by Turner and another guy (forgot the name). Both of theirs use the later, smaller "metric" calipers that came into vogue in the late 1970s. The DL kit uses the earlier calipers that were popular in the late 60s to late 70s. After around 1978, about the only cars still using the large calipers were police cars, and Caprices. The Turner and other guy's kits also use later rotors.
    As for installation, the DL kit is almost too much hydraulics for the 1" MC, mainly due to the enormous caliper pistons. Everything must be setup perfectly. But they work good once installed. I have no first hand experience with the other kits, but a kajillion Stude owners can't all be wrong in their praises of those kits.
    Joe

Leave a comment:

• studegary
    replied
    Are there any kits that use modern parts, rather than these 1960s-1970s antique parts mentioned?

Leave a comment:

• 55coupe
    replied
    If you don't mind me jumping in. The steeltech kit I have uses 12" gm rotors 1977 Impala or Caprice redrilled for a Studebaker pattern. The bearings are 1975 Cordoba. I still haven't installed this kit yet and was wondering how you like yours? I was going to use the stock master cylinder for now. The instructions seem stright foward enough any tips that any of you have to make this a more enjoyable install would be apprecated.

Leave a comment:

• sweetolbob
    replied
    Originally posted by jngregory View Post
    Dave Levesque tells me that the rotors he used are Raybestos 6012, which interchange to Bendix 141025 and NAPA 4885522. These are a one piece rotor that fit a 69 Ford Galaxie 500 and use bearings BR2 and BR6. I've ordered a pair locally and will let you know if there is a problem. Very pricey, at $159 a piece.
    John
    Originally Posted by Bob Johnstone

$75.00 Here!!!

http://www.finditparts.com/products/...bestos-60-12-r
    One heck of a difference from locally to mail order, but you gotta have what you gotta have to go racing quickly.

Bob

Leave a comment:

• kmac530
    replied
    I am not positive what size bolt pattern a Stude car has {my truck has 6x7.25..yikes} but Chevy made cars in 5x4.75" and 5x5" so there may be chevey rotor that fit unless the stude cars use 5x4.5" which is small fords and most imports like Toyotas and porsches...others as well of course.

Leave a comment:

• Michidan
    replied
    Judging from all this info, there was another steeltech kit. I do have Chevy rotors on mine.
    I have the info that came from him in a box somewhere, if I could ever find it.

Leave a comment:

• jngregory
    replied
    Dave Levesque tells me that the rotors he used are Raybestos 6012, which interchange to Bendix 141025 and NAPA 4885522. These are a one piece rotor that fit a 69 Ford Galaxie 500 and use bearings BR2 and BR6. I've ordered a pair locally and will let you know if there is a problem. Very pricey, at $159 a piece.

As near as I can determine, Dave's website is wrong. The 70-72 big Chrysler rotors (Newport, etc) do not fit - the hub is 4.97" and is too long for the Stude spindle. The 69 Ford Galaxie 500 rotors are slightly smaller (11.72" x 1.19" v. 11.75" x 1.25") use the same bearings (BR2 and BR6), but have a hub that is almost 1/2 inch shorter than the Chrysler rotors at 4.53".

Joe, I don't know if the Autozone 5405 rotors would fit - they seem to be the same size as the 69 Ford Galaxie 500 rotor, but they use BR12 and BR13 bearings, and I know the correct bearings for the Stude spindle are BR2 and BR6.

John

Leave a comment:

• JoeHall
    replied
    If you need wheel bearing seals, National #473010 fits nicely.
    Joe

Leave a comment:

• JoeHall
    replied
    The rotors are 70-72 full size Ford, and 70-71 T'Bird (AutoZone # DL 5405). The calipers are 79-91 Suburban (1.5X1mm threaded banjo bolts), and 71-76 Impala (7/16X20 threaded banjo bolts).

Leave a comment:

• jngregory
    replied
    Originally posted by sweetolbob View Post
    John

More data from the rockauto website. RAYBESTOS Part # 6012R {#6012} Professional Grade;(Bendix 141025 equivalent) And Hub; 11.72" / 5 Bolts (Rebate/Promotion Available! See Promotions & Rebates Page for Details.)

Looks like the correct size although not cheap at $110/each.

Thanks JN

Bob
    Thanks Bob and everyone else who chipped in. Dave Levesque responded to my email today and promised to send me the part number today, so I'll post it for future reference. He says they are not Mopar rotors. I wish he would update his website!

John

Leave a comment:

• Gunslinger
    replied
    Originally posted by Michidan View Post
    I'm guessing I have the same kit, bought in 1997. (how many did he have?) I should not post as I cannot remember for sure. I am positive the calipers are 78 Impala. I thought the rotors were also 78 Impala.
    Can't be the Chevy rotors...wrong bolt circle.

Leave a comment:

• 64V-K7
    replied
    $75.00 Here!!!

http://www.finditparts.com/products/...bestos-60-12-r

Leave a comment:

• sweetolbob
    replied
    Originally posted by jnormanh View Post
    Bendix 141025 is listed as '69 Ford Galaxie.
    John

More data from the rockauto website. RAYBESTOS Part # 6012R {#6012} Professional Grade;(Bendix 141025 equivalent) And Hub; 11.72" / 5 Bolts (Rebate/Promotion Available! See Promotions & Rebates Page for Details.)

Looks like the correct size although not cheap at $110/each.

Thanks JN

Bob

Leave a comment:

• jnormanh
    replied
    Bendix 141025 is listed as '69 Ford Galaxie.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X