Almost hidden Studebaker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Almost hidden Studebaker

Saw this picture on the H.A.M.B. and while drooling over the Jaguars in the foreground I almost missed what seems to be a Golden Hawk in the background.

Joe Roberts
    '61 R1 Champ
    '65 Cruiser
    Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Funny - even with all those D-type fins, the first thing that caught my eye was that K-body roofline.
    (my Studebaker condition is now officially terminal)
    Andy
    62 GT

Comment

Yes, a 1956 Golden Hawk. The newest street car that I see there is a 1957. The picture was probably taken then. In 1957, I looked a lot like the guy with the crew cut/flat top standing there.
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

There is no explanation with the picture, but I wondered with the paint scheme on three of the Jags if these were a part of the Briggs Cunningham stable.
        Joe Roberts
        '61 R1 Champ
        '65 Cruiser

Comment

Were the jags metal bodies or fiberglass?
          I like the 56 hawks best of all years. I am not a big fan of the bigger fins.
          \"Ahh, a bear in his natural habitat...a Studebaker!\"

51 Land Cruiser (Elsie)
          Jim Mann
          Victoria, B.C.
          Canada

Comment

Originally posted by StudeMann View Post
            Were the jags metal bodies or fiberglass?
            I like the 56 hawks best of all years. I am not a big fan of the bigger fins.
            Aluminum bodies I believe. I like that 3 of those Jags are numbered in series...a race team Im sure. Mid-Ohio raceway maybe circa late 50's

Comment

Well my interest continures to be peaked with this picture so I looked around a bit and found this picture and link. It seems to suggest that the Jags that are blocking the view of that Golden Hawk were indeed part of the Briggs Cunningham team. The picture is of Briggs Cunningham in the #60 Jag seen in the orginal picture I posted here.

http://www.briggscunningham.com/home/racing-in-america/
              Joe Roberts
              '61 R1 Champ
              '65 Cruiser

Comment

Working...
              X