No announcement yet.

At the PSMCD...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow, George. Thanks for the shots. My little hardtop ran like a trooper all the way there and back (broke the Speedo cable about 150 miles from home). Lots of people offered to upgrade me from a 2 bbl, but I'm sure I got about 25 miles per gallon (Imperial) and that's fine with me. Watching the "muscle" Studes run was a thrill. Watching them win was like icing on the cake. Looks like my car will make South Bend in May. My owners manual has some great autographs. What a hoot!
    Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Video 11 of 17 is a heartbreaker. I believe that was Friday night (I didn't get there for that). Richard Poe did his differential in, and I think that was what was shown in the video. Lots of people offered to look for parts but none were found in time for him to compete in the shoot outs. Allen Anderson received some timely advice from Ted and his later runs were great. Nice to see a black 64 SuperHawk working fine. Peter Sant's Avanti R2 did well. I had never riden in an Avanti and Peter let me ride shotgun on the warm up paths. Needless to say, I want one of those too! Great videos 2R5. The longest distance travelled award (Bob Petersen included) should go to Petka from Norway. Some may have read his article in TW about building a Stude powered hotrod in Norway. Nice fellow.

Comment

...oh ya, on my way back home, maybe 100 miles from the Canadian border, who should pull up beside me but Peter Calaguiros in that LS1 powered, yellow 53 coupe land speed racer he wrote about in TW. He wasn't beside me for long. I sped up to about 80 mph and he floored the 53. Nice tail lights, Peter!

Comment

Originally posted by warrlaw1 View Post
          Video 11 of 17 is a heartbreaker. I believe that was Friday night (I didn't get there for that). Richard Poe did his differential in, and I think that was what was shown in the video. Lots of people offered to look for parts but none were found in time for him to compete in the shoot outs.

The longest distance travelled award (Bob Petersen included) should go to Petka from Norway. Some may have read his article in TW about building a Stude powered hotrod in Norway. Nice fellow.
          Dave: 'Good that the '55 was up for the trip; that's a nice car.

Video #11 isn't that dramatic; that's not when Richard broke the axle. The car simply stalled on that run and he had to dump the clutch and get it going to get back in the contest. "It" happens.

The fellow shooting all the photos for his Finland and Sweden writing was Pekka Polvinen. (Don't feel bad about the spelling; I had to look it up myself to verify.)

Pekka flew over just for this event! He flew back to Finland Sunday right after the drags. 'Talk about commitment, eh?

As you say, Pekka is a great guy and had a wonderful time. BP
          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Thanks, Bob. My fact checking is a little lame. Too much exctiement! But it was a great road trip.

Comment

Video #11 isn't that dramatic; that's not when Richard broke the axle. The car simply stalled on that run and he had to dump the clutch and get it going to get back in the contest. "It" happens.

Bob,
              That was the run that the number 8 spark plug blew the electrode out. The top of the plug was in the spark plug boot with the rest of the plug still in the engine. It sounded like a shot gun going off so I pushed in the clutch. It still ran so I just took off down the track and I was running on only seven cylinders, but it pulled real hard as you can see.
              It started to make a tapping sound so I got out of it as you can see and maybe hear down track. The AF meter was going nuts. That turned out to be compression leaking out the plug that was left in the engine with a hole in it. It ran so good on 7 cylinders we didn’t even notice it until we looked at the plug wire just laying over to the side.
              Richard
              The annual all Studebaker Nationals and Orphan Car Drag Race is Saturday May 27th 2017 9:00 am at Brown County Dragway in Bean Blossom, Indiana. "Studebaker Drag Racing you can't beat it" For more information contact Richard Poe

Comment

Ah, Richard, so it was that run on which the great spark plug blowout occurred. I remember the incident, so appreciate the clarification. BP
                We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Working...
                X