M-B Ribbon Cutting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M-B Ribbon Cutting

Last evening, I attended a grand re-opening, ribbon cutting at the local Mercedes-Benz dealership. They enlarged the dealership building and changed their name.

I was a little more dressed up than usual, so I did not have any Studebaker themed apparel on. A salesman that I was talking to asked for my e-mail address. When I gave it to him, he asked if there was a Studebaker connection. It turns out that when he was a young child, his next door neighbor purchased a new 1956 (of course, but for those that do not know that was the only year) Sky Hawk. He liked the car so much that the memory of it has stuck with him. He was quite knowledgeable about Studebaker. His facts were accurate. He now has a friend with number 44 (IIRC) Avanti. I asked if it was a Studebaker or newer series. He said that it has round headlights (1963). He even brought up the Mercedes-Benz and Studebaker sales connection and Loewy Design Studios.

I was interested in seeing the new 2012 C class coupe. They didn't have any literature or cars in stock. While I was there, a transporter arrived with three of them on it for that dealership. He showed me one as soon as they got it off the trailer. I was a little disappointed. I thought that it would be a hardtop because the later CLKs were hardtops and the new E class coupe is a hardtop.

There are several C class sedans in the neighborhood and I see a lot of them in the area. Most are 4matic (all wheel drive). These are about $38K. The dealership must sell a lot of the more expensive models as most of the vehicles in the showroom and in front of it were in the $104K to $144K range.

They continuously served hors d'oeuvres from the fancy Italian restaurant next door and had an open bar with wine (corked bottles, not boxes).

There were many people there that I know. It was a fun evening for free.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Originally posted by studegary View Post
    Last evening, I attended a grand re-opening, ribbon cutting at the local Mercedes-Benz dealership. They enlarged the dealership building and changed their name.

I was a little more dressed up than usual, so I did not have any Studebaker themed apparel on. A salesman that I was talking to asked for my e-mail address. When I gave it to him, he asked if there was a Studebaker connection. It turns out that when he was a young child, his next door neighbor purchased a new 1956 (of course, but for those that do not know that was the only year) Sky Hawk. He liked the car so much that the memory of it has stuck with him. He was quite knowledgeable about Studebaker. His facts were accurate. He now has a friend with number 44 (IIRC) Avanti. I asked if it was a Studebaker or newer series. He said that it has round headlights (1963). He even brought up the Mercedes-Benz and Studebaker sales connection and Loewy Design Studios.

I was interested in seeing the new 2012 C class coupe. They didn't have any literature or cars in stock. While I was there, a transporter arrived with three of them on it for that dealership. He showed me one as soon as they got it off the trailer. I was a little disappointed. I thought that it would be a hardtop because the later CLKs were hardtops and the new E class coupe is a hardtop.

There are several C class sedans in the neighborhood and I see a lot of them in the area. Most are 4matic (all wheel drive). These are about $38K. The dealership must sell a lot of the more expensive models as most of the vehicles in the showroom and in front of it were in the $104K to $144K range.

They continuously served hors d'oeuvres from the fancy Italian restaurant next door and had an open bar with wine (corked bottles, not boxes).

There were many people there that I know. It was a fun evening for free.

I'd love a new C class, but my 1998 C280 just won't break down. Honestly, if it does I'll find another 100,000-120,000 mile example in the 2004-2007 range and drive the wheels off it. I paid 7K for my 98 2-3 years ago, and can't justify 35K for a new one that is not 5 time the car.
    JDP Maryland

Comment

I have only driven Mercedes as a daily driver since 1998. My present car is a 1997 E420. It takes off like a muscle car and is bullet proof. I justify driving Mercedes because of the Studebaker connection. And no, you do not have to be rich to own and drive one. I bought my 1997 in 2006 for $6,000.00 and do all the work on it myself. They are easy to work on and parts are cheap online. Plus it looks like a modern day Lark to me.

Comment

Even many Studebaker folks are not aware of the Studebaker - Mercedes relationship. We used to have a member of our chapter who owned a beautiful 1948 Land Cruiser, a wonderful '40's era Packard and a mid-'50's Mercedes sedan. He brought each of them to a Studebaker at one point or another. There was always a descussion as to why the Mercedes was appropriate and he simply would open the door and show them the plate that stated "Distributed by Studebaker- Packard Corporation."

Last edited by JRoberts; 09-16-2011, 06:57 AM.
        Joe Roberts
        '61 R1 Champ
        '65 Cruiser
        Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
          Obviously, the "hardtop" cachet has been lost to a generation. Mercedes Benz (and BMW when they were selling the 850i) refers to any two-door with a fixed roof as a 'coupe' whether its pillarless or not. And one NEVER sees all four windows open in any of their advertising.

Craig

Comment

I shared a bus ride with a young girl from Switzerland. She couldn't understand the hype about Mercedes. Quote: "We call then Taxis!" (lol)
            Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Working...
            X