Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

You canít own just one! Just bought a 1940 Commander.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You canít own just one! Just bought a 1940 Commander.

sigpic

Nice car. Good luck with it.
    Gary Sanders
    Nixa, MO

Comment

"When I woke up this morning, buying a car was the last thing on my to do list."

Studebakers happen when you're busy making plans.
      sigpic
      In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Thanks. We can't wait to tow it home and start to get an idea of what we have. We never really expected to own a prewar Studebaker so we don't know a lot about them. Time to start learning.
        sigpic

Comment

We found that out. In a big way today.
          sigpic

Comment

Not just a Commander, a Deluxe-Tone with overdrive! (Chrome knob left of the steering wheel).

Great score. If you weren't so far away and I had the garage space I'd try to buy it.

Comment

John,

Nice score!

Time to join The Antique Studebaker Club.
              http://theantiquestudebakerclub.com/

Maybe someone out there has a good photo of the model in show condition to give additional encouragement.
              "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
              sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

The paint is actually better than the other pics show. I would love to see a good photo of the model. I also would like to know where I could go just for some general reading about the model. We bought it without knowing a lot about it because the price was good and it was solid and clean.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mbstude View Post
                  Not just a Commander, a Deluxe-Tone with overdrive! (Chrome knob left of the steering wheel).

Great score. If you weren't so far away and I had the garage space I'd try to buy it.
                  Garage space? That's one of the little details we haven't worked out yet. We need to find one to keep our '53 in so we have a spot for the '40.
                  sigpic

Comment

Wow, nice find! Whats the plans for it? Just clean it up, replace whats needed, and run it? Full restoration? Etc?
                    Dylan Wills
                    Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
                    1961 Lark 4 door wagon #2 (Wife's car!)
                    1955 VW Beetle (Went to the dark side)
                    1914 Ford Model T

Comment

We really don't know. We don't have the money to do a full restoration. It just came along unexpectedly and we had to act. Probably try to at least do a cleanup, paint and make it drivable and enjoy it a little bit. We won't do anything that would cause a problem down the road for a full restoration. Our biggest modification might be non original paint.
                      sigpic

Comment

Looks like someone didn't know how to open the hood....
                        KURTRUK
                        (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

Very nice! Congratulations. BP
                          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
                          "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

thanks for removing my temptation. When I saw that the other day on Craigslist and saw the low price, I was very tempted. It looked very presentable and the additional pictures you posted confirm that. Good luck with the nice car
                            Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
                            1961 Hawk 4-speed
                            1967 Avanti
                            1961 Lark 2 door
                            1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

I know. It happened to me last week. I bought a Lemon/Lime Speedster. Should be here in the next few days. I don't know of any cure either.

Comment

Working...
                              X