No announcement yet.

n00b to the forum...newb to studebakers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If thie truck is a 2R10, Serial # from E-bay auction Rt0-8352, mistook the I a Studebaker one for a T, Shouldn't it have a 170ci inline 6? It looks like it has a 259 V8 installed. IIRC a 2R10-22 is a 1/2 ton with a 122" wheel base and the R11-22 was the same size but with the big 245ci inline 6. I don't think any of the 2R's had a V8. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
    Kelly, do you know if the prevous owner installed the V8 or was it someone before him? It looks like the rear suspension has been heavily modified, I don't think the rear axel could handle as much weight as those leaf spring can.

Mike

Comment

There is a swap meet in San Diego Oct. 21-23. The Zone meet at the Town and Country Resort and Hotel.

Comment

welcome aboard!!! from a former so-cal motocross racer with a 4 level spinal fusion (among other titanium parts here and there.

be sure to join the Studebaker Drivers Club - the magazine "Turning Wheels", is worth "the price of admission"...
        Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

So this is what I see: The front wheels are very big and heavy duty not just the rear springs, so my feeling is that it is a factory HD model somewhere between 3/4 and 1 ton ish. I agree the rear diff looks a bit odd for an HD truck but I dont know enough about Studes to know for sure. The rear end also appears to have very large drums and the front as well so again that gives me the impression of an HD original model.
          The 2 plaques are sort of readable her is what I see, plaque inside door:
          Model 2R-C2
          Can No. S2265
          Trim No, T-6 0{?} 33
          Paint No. P- 2202

The plaque under the hood reads:
          Model 2R 10-22
          Gross weight 6100
          Serial # RIO- ? 8352

I put 2 question marks where there looked like a number but I could not read it.
          What do you guys think?

Comment

Thought you might like this picture

Jon Stalnaker
            Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Comment

That pic is really cool Sdude, thanx for the ideas.
              Update: I am leaving friday morning in a borrowed truck with a borrowed trailer to Hayward. I will grab some cheap, read CHEAP hotel up around there and meet my seller saturday AM and load it up and head home. I will stop at a spray and wash first thing and vacum out all of the leaves and trash so it does fly out on the hiway. While Im there I will spray it off to get a good look at things like the glass and the engine compartment and chassis. Then rush home and get it parked beside the garage in a safe spot so I can start tinkering with asap. First up, check out the motor to see if there are any huge issues, i.e. a rod hanging out of the block or rocker that are rusted solid, bent push rod..... fresh fluids, ignition pieces and crank it over????
              Keep you posted next week

Comment

Kmac I love your ideas for the truck. It will be a really cool shop truck. I think that if the V-8 that has been put in your truck is in good shape, you have a great start on a reliable vehicle. Do not be afraid of that engine as there are lots of parts of information out there for/about it. A good looking stake type bed is not a bad idea, although once in a whle a bed for that truck does come up for sale. Maintaining the "patina" is a great idea as far as I am concerned.

Welcome to the world of Studebakers it is good to have you with us. Keep us informed as to how your project truck is coming along.
                Joe Roberts
                '61 R1 Champ
                '65 Cruiser
                Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

She made it home all safe and sound. The engine is for sure a transplant and not original, which you were all quite sure of already.

The Good: The wheels turn so the drums and diff are not locked up and rusted solid. The steering turns. I dont see any rods sticking out of the block, but I was in a hurry and didnt get underneath it. All of the glass except the door glass is in useable shape, not show quality of course, but daily driver worthy for sure. Passanger door window glass is down but looks like there is a crack, driver door glass looks to be missing. Hood ornament is there and intact, a bit pitted but, I love it. It looks quite straight over all.

The Bad: A bit rustier in a few spots that he had stated, not terrible, but more. Not sure if this fits in the "good" or the "bad" column but the trans has oil all over it, could mean it still has oil in it-good, but could mean an issue also.. 2 tires will not hold any air. but that is fine, Radiator hoses are mickey mouse.

Overall: a good starter project and mostly complete.

Pics coming...if I can figure that smugmug/photobucket bologna...

Comment

i think you got a good deal.

will it be worth more than the $$$ (not counting your labor) you put into it? maybe, but probably not.

just have fun with the rebuild, and proud of your accomplishments when finished!
                    Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

I sold my Jeep TJ today, well I put it on ebay and I am well over my reserve price already so it will be sold in 6 days, so now I think I will have a few bucks to get started on my truck. In the mean time I have been tinkering on it and mostly inspecting things.

Good news so far, the rear end seems to be in good order. I pulled out the drain plug and the diff oil looked exceptionally well for sitting for 35 years. I pulled a brake drum and the drum and shoes looked great, I may even re-use the shoes since they seem to be in perfect shape. Of course the wheel cylinders were frozen up after so long of sitting but look to possibly be rebuildable.

So that is one item that looks to be useable and not in need of alot of expensive rebuilding. Remember I plan on building this truck as a vintage old style truck with all of its original patina in place as much as possible, with only neccesary updates to make it safe and resonably reliable.

On further inspection the trans and motor have a fair amount of oil on the outside and show no signs of rust or rot on them so hopefully when I drain them down they will be clear as well. Also I found NO unwanted engine block ventilation. Good sign.

Comment

That truck has the small six radiator in it.. in your area, you might want a bigger radiator. Check with Vintage Air as Jack has come out with a BRAND NEW radiator that fits right in the shell & is cheaper than getting one re-cored. He had the first one on display in Glendale at the SDC meet last year.

Comment

Working...
                        X