X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '57 President at Mecum St. Charles auction 9/15

'57 President at Mecum St. Charles auction 9/15

http://www.mecum.com/auctions/lot_de...4&entryRow=582

It will be interesting to see what this car sells for, if it sells. They may have gotten some high expectations with selling the 1955 Commander hardtop for circa $60,000 here in Indianapolis in May. They're about to find out there's a BIG difference between hardtops and sedans! BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Hi

Nice President, recall seeing it at South Bend in '07, initially thought it was the car with factory air that made the arounds a few years ago. Lovely restoration, correct even to the "Kitchen Natural Sponge" patterned fabric. They must have bought that fabric cheap, it's the only reason I can think of why they would use it! It ain't pretty, creepy in fact!

Steve

Comment

I attend several car auctions each year and make the annual pilgrimage to Phoenix in January. I go with a friend who last January took and sold 7 cars and a bike. As a seller unless you really know the auction game and have the constitution to say no under very high pressure, plan on being disappointed and having a big hole in your pocket. They are great theater and a wonderful place for car lovers to slobber on themselves. Mecum and Silver are the most fair to the seller. Barret Jackson is no reserve but lets you bid/buy back your own car after paying entry fee, seller commission and buyer commission..... ouch !!

Orphan cars can be given away or go through the roof. Their bids are not nearly as predictable as Big 3 Muscle cars. Hope this owner is not disappointed.

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
          It will be interesting to see what this car sells for, if it sells. They may have gotten some high expectations with selling the 1955 Commander hardtop for circa $60,000 here in Indianapolis in May. They're about to find out there's a BIG difference between hardtops and sedans! BP
          I REALLY like this car. I do not plan on bidding on it from here and I can't be there by tomorrow.
          I think that the Thursday sale placement will hurt the price achieved. Brand X people that may bid high based on its condition and rarity will not be there.
          Most all 1957 Presdient Classics that I have seen have front bumper guards. I looked it up and they were optional.
          I guess that the no front bumperettes goes along with standard shift and no clock in a President Classic. Probably a customer ordered car.
          Last edited by studegary; 09-14-2011, 01:02 PM. Reason: added
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by 56H-Y6 View Post
            Hi

Nice President, recall seeing it at South Bend in '07, initially thought it was the car with factory air that made the arounds a few years ago. Lovely restoration, correct even to the "Kitchen Natural Sponge" patterned fabric. They must have bought that fabric cheap, it's the only reason I can think of why they would use it! It ain't pretty, creepy in fact!

Steve
            To each his own. That upholstery was one of the things that I really liked about my 1957 President Classic. To me, it looked like a much higher level than the upholstery in most Studebaker sedans. I always referred to it as snakeskin and I have heard others refer to it that way also. You are the first that I have seen with that "Kitchen Natural Sponge" label and try as I might, I can't see the connection. I lived with that upholstery, even in the same color as this car, on an everyday basis.
            Note the big bolster at the top of the front seat back to provide safety protection to the rear seat passengers.
            Last edited by studegary; 09-14-2011, 01:04 PM. Reason: added
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
              I REALLY like this car. I do not plan on bidding on it from here and I can't be there by tomorrow.
              I think that the Thursday sale placement will hurt the price achieved. Brand X people that may bid high based on its condition and rarity will not be there.
              Most all 1957 Presdient Classics that I have seen have front bumper guards. I looked it up and they were optional.
              I guess that the no front bumperettes goes along with standard shift and no clock in a President Classic. Probably a customer ordered car.
              I'm wondering if it has overdrive--can't quite see lever. Auction companies often forget to mention this item, I find. Hard to believe it didn't. No guards and no clock on a President, now that is frugal.
              I like that fabric too...and have (power) President seats to put into my overdrive Champion.

Of course, of all fabrics, I have to say I like the totally unexpected Marie Nicholls fabric/door panels that was in 1953 Kaiser Dragons.
              Last edited by Jim B PEI; 09-14-2011, 01:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                To each his own. That upholstery was one of the things that I really liked about my 1957 President Classic. To me, it looked like a much higher level than the upholstery in most Studebaker sedans. I always referred to it as snakeskin and I have heard others refer to it that way also. You are the first that I have seen with that "Kitchen Natural Sponge" label and try as I might, I can't see the connection. I lived with that upholstery, even in the same color as this car, on an everyday basis.
                Note the big bolster at the top of the front seat back to provide safety protection to the rear seat passengers.
                Hi Gary

I'm not crazy about snakeskin patterns either, so that might be where my distaste comes from. I had it in my '57 President Classic in the same color as well. While the fabric looks considerably richer than the el-cheapo stuff they put in Commanders and Champions, it didn't seemed to be durable and definitely wasn't stain-resistant. The pattern instantly reminds me of natural sponges I've seen in National Geographic. Even the man-made sponges under my kitchen sink look like it!

As you say, "To each his own".

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Jim B PEI View Post
                  I'm wondering if it has overdrive--can't quite see lever. Auction companies often forget to mention this item, I find. Hard to believe it didn't. No guards and no clock on a President, now that is frugal.
                  I like that fabric too...and have (power) President seats to put into my overdrive Champion.
                  Jim: Take another look at that interior shot. There does seem to be a chrome T-handle under the dash to the lower left of the steering column, so I believe the car has overdrive. Since 1957s had external hood releases, there would be no hood release "T" handle anywhere to confuse the issue, and it wouldn't have been located right there anyway.

A 1957 President Classic with overdrive has got to be a rarity in and of itself; 'can't imagine but a small percentage of Classics not having Flightomatic.

(BTW: I, too, like the 1957 President Classic fabrics. Very period.) BP
                  We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
                  "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

They must have bought that fabric cheap, it's the only reason I can think of why they would use it! It ain't pretty, creepy in fact!
                    Perspectives are a funny thing; I liked the car until I saw the seats, then fell in LOVE with it!

Wonder if JDP can make me up a set of covers in that pattern for a '60 Lark...
                    Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth—let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                    Romans 15:13
                    Deuteronomy 31:6
                    Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

The seats look like the same material that was in a 57 Golden Hawk that I owned quite a few years ago

Denny L

Comment

Denny is correct. The 57 Golden had the same material standard. It was used as an insert with a vinyl surround. I have seen at least two with that combo and one was a consistent first place winner at all the Stude zone and International meets. The blue Classic you see when you log onto the forum is one I used to own. It had 34,000 original when I sold it, came out of ND and was produced in early August 1957 and yes, Bob it had OD. The car got over 20 miles per gallon on the road verses the 17-18 my Flightomatic currently gets. The two cars were produced two weeks aprt and the blue one may have been one of the last of that model run. It currently is still in the MPLS MN area. The upholstery certainly gets comments and grows on you.
                        Brian Millette

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                          A 1957 President Classic with overdrive has got to be a rarity in and of itself; 'can't imagine but a small percentage of Classics not having Flightomatic.
                          (BTW: I, too, like the 1957 President Classic fabrics. Very period.) BP
                          Just think about how small the number of '57 Packards ordered that way must be!!! Unfortunately- the parts car I have had been picked pretty clean (and rotted in some key areas) before I got to it. Can you imagine the following~ OD, TT, PS, PB and AC on a grey '57 Packard? That's how it was built as best as I can tell...

I know of a few other '57 Packards nearby- but man-o-man what a project!!!

Oh yes- add me to the list of 'digg it' as to those President seats, too!!!!
                          Last edited by StudeDave57; 09-15-2011, 11:15 AM. Reason: added info
                          StudeDave '57
                          US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                          SDC Member since 1985

past President
                          Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                          San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                          San Diego Chapter SDC
                          North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Hi Gary

I'm not crazy about snakeskin patterns either, so that might be where my distaste comes from. I had it in my '57 President Classic in the same color as well. While the fabric looks considerably richer than the el-cheapo stuff they put in Commanders and Champions, it didn't seemed to be durable and definitely wasn't stain-resistant. The pattern instantly reminds me of natural sponges I've seen in National Geographic. Even the man-made sponges under my kitchen sink look like it!

As you say, "To each his own".

Steve
                            The 1957 President Classic with those seats was my everyday driver. I traded the car in at the local Mercury dealer in late-1962-early 1963. The seats showed no wear. They had a little soil darkening at the driver's entry area. The head mechanic at the Mercury dealer bought the car from the dealership for his own family use. He tried to clean the seats with something powerful, like gasoline, that he admitted was a mistake. He kept the car for regular use for many years.
                            Gary L.
                            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Originally posted by 57 Classic View Post
                              Denny is correct. The 57 Golden had the same material standard. It was used as an insert with a vinyl surround. I have seen at least two with that combo and one was a consistent first place winner at all the Stude zone and International meets. The blue Classic you see when you log onto the forum is one I used to own. It had 34,000 original when I sold it, came out of ND and was produced in early August 1957 and yes, Bob it had OD. The car got over 20 miles per gallon on the road verses the 17-18 my Flightomatic currently gets. The two cars were produced two weeks aprt and the blue one may have been one of the last of that model run. It currently is still in the MPLS MN area. The upholstery certainly gets comments and grows on you.
                              Brian Millette
                              Brian - Is the car in the auction the car that you owned? Gary
                              Gary L.
                              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Working...
                              X