Propeller Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Propeller Project

I asked a friend of mine if? and he is giving it a try. These are the first two out of the mold.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0163.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	1734036Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0164.jpg
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	1734038Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0165.jpg
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	1734035

Name:	IMAG0169.jpg
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	1734039Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0162.jpg
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	1734037
    These are original, which was/is used as the pattern and the first draft. Machining and finishing to follow.

Pretty neat!
    Jeff
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

I have owned a 51 champ for 20 years and the propeller questions comes often at shows.
      Did Studebaker actually offer such and option ?
      Thanks Ron

Comment

These were not an official Studebaker accessory, however a couple of companies made different versions of these and sometimes the dealer would sell them. I know of no one who likes them. Unless it is balanced and mounted perfectly on center of the bullet, it would set up a terrible vibration on the front of the car. It causes the fragile (and expensive) plastic bullet to crack and craze. People I know who have them have made a little wire holder to keep it from turning while the car is in motion. Then they remove the wire at the show, so the natural breeze can spin it.

Comment

Back in the day (when I was a kid) I seem to remember seeing more of them on Fords than Studebakers. That could be, because down here in the south, you just did not see that many Studebakers. Another thing I remember is seeing many front ornaments with a bare bolt where the propeller used to be. It did not take very long for the bearings to fail and the propeller fly off!
          John Clary
          Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

I live near M.O.N. so each time I take a drive I travel 100 miles or more, my prop has been on the car for several years and does just fine. Sometimes I can even feel it trying to lift off, I just let off the peddle when that happens.

Comment

I have a nos Lindberg prop still in the box. The paper work indicates either Studebaker or Ford.
              Klif
              55 Speedster/Street Machine
              63 Avanti R2
              64 Convertible R1

Comment

Originally posted by klifton1 View Post
                I have a nos Lindberg prop still in the box. The paper work indicates either Studebaker or Ford.
                Klif
                No mention in the paperwork of a 1951-52 Crosley? How rude of the manufacturer to disrespect Crosley!
                sigpic
                In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

I'm surprised that I have never seen 'tassel-like' twin spinners for Cadillacs....

Comment

There were a set of plastic covers for the 50 and 51 Studebaker head lites also. The were shaped like bullets. They fit any 7 in light but the Studebaker fender line was perfect. My Dad had them on his 51 Starlite.
                    Klif
                    55 Speedster/Street Machine
                    63 Avanti R2
                    64 Convertible R1

Comment

Originally posted by Jim B PEI View Post
                      I'm surprised that I have never seen 'tassel-like' twin spinners for Cadillacs....
                      That would be a real tribute to Dagmar!....whoever she was (a bit before my time).

That reminds me, when I see strippers with tassels like on TV (I've never been to a strip club...too young) , I think of P-38s.

Our very own Allen Barth had a prop mounted on the nose of a 51 Business Coupe...I think it was there when he bought it. He's since sold it.
                      63 Avanti R1 2788
                      1914 Stutz Bearcat
                      (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

"Whoever she was"? O God, I am among the heathen...

http://tinyurl.com/3qejwb2

OK. Now you know.

Comment

Originally posted by oltrknut View Post
                          ... Sometimes I can even feel it trying to lift off, I just let off the peddle when that happens.
                          Are you saying you feel the CAR start to "lift off" or the hood? Or what?

I'm thinking, the day I could feel that li'l ol' prop try to lift off ANYTHING would be the day I drank too much Dr. Pepper.

John

Comment

When I was a kid I saw the props on Crosleys.
                            The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

The best results came in cast aluminum. My friend found a foundry in Tacoma WA and they made him a casting which was better than any we had done. These are pictures of the polished/finished aluminum propeller which was cast in Tacoma. This one will go to the friend who loaned us an original tired example which was used for our pattern.

Name:	IMAG0305.jpg
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	1671436Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0306.jpg
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	1671437
                              Last edited by fatboylust; 12-20-2011, 06:27 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X