X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Lamberti papers #18

Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Now I have REALLY figured out why Studebaker got into Difficulties . In the last
    instalment of the Lamberti Papers , Number 17 , I remember doing the Math
    and coming up with Shipments of vehicles to date totalling just over 60,000
    units , so here we are a further week onwards and Shipments to date are
    only getting to about 53,000 units . What is going on , Have I missed some
    thing or can things like this sneak through at upper Management level .

CRUISER

Comment

Interesting that at this date, Studebaker's upper level knowledge of the Ford Mustang was limited to a facelift for the Falcon, if it could be done on time.
      Jim
      Often in error, never in doubt
      http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

____1966 Avanti II RQA 0088_______________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152____________http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

Comment

As the meetings of the department heads progresses during 1963 without too many positives I wonder how Sherwood Egbert's health holds up in this negative enviroment?

\"QUIGLEY DOWN UNDER\"
        MELBOURNE.

Comment

Originally posted by jlmccuan View Post
          Interesting that at this date, Studebaker's upper level knowledge of the Ford Mustang was limited to a facelift for the Falcon, if it could be done on time.
          'Not sure about that, Jim. If you remember, the 1964 Falcon was a major facelift/redo of the 1960-1963 Falcon. I don't think the reference here is to the Mustang; the Mustang's introduction was almost a year away as of the date of this meeting. They were more concerned, at this moment, about what the 1964 Falcon and Comet would look like.

It looks like their fears were realized, in that Ford did get the major redo of the Falcon out for the 1964 model year.

And talk about whistling in the dark past the graveyard: They were thinking they'd be in high cotton "with GM out of the compact picture." Ha! The all-new Chevelle and dramatically and well-styled B-O-P cars were head-to-head against the new 1964 Studebaker...with disastrous results, in retrospect. BP
          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
          "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

One more item that'll make judging way easier at a Stude meet....
            No docking points because the floor is all beat to snot!
            HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Depending on how you count them, I see seven references to the issue of "going out of the automobile business." This does not bode well, although we now know what many of them probably knew back then, reading the writing on the wall. AFAIK, this is the first time the issue has been so frequently mentioned in these papers. Nothing succeeds like success, and the reverse is true as well.

'Looks like the flanged axle possibility across the line was still up in the air as of this meeting...and getting further up in the air, it would appear.

They mention eliminating 50 options for 1964 to simplify things. We ought to try to list here, as many as we can think of. 50 seems like a large number, so I'll start by listing the only two I can come up with right off and see who can come up with more. (I doubt I could find 50 items, some must have been so obscure. Maybe that's why they were eliminated! <GGG>)

1. Sun Roof
              2. Bumper Wing Guards

Others, anybody else? BP
              We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
              "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Hi

pounding the floor pan down on a unit to get clearance and then taking that cab down to get it okayed. We’re not sure we’ll be able to do that this year. ......"

Just a fine example of doing whatever necessary to sell one more car......however stopgap!

"....... Dr. Lamberti noted that in many respects, we could be walking into a very nice field. With B-O-P out of the compact picture, we will be in there with the Rambler, Falcon, and Comet."

Whew! Out of the '63 meatgrinder compact market! Sure am looking for forward to a cakewalk for '64!

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by 56H-Y6 View Post

"....... Dr. Lamberti noted that in many respects, we could be walking into a very nice field. With B-O-P out of the compact picture, we will be in there with the Rambler, Falcon, and Comet."

Whew! Out of the '63 meatgrinder compact market! Sure am looking for forward to a cakewalk for '64!

Steve
                  Good one, Steve <GGG>. BP

Ayn Rand:

Comment

Originally posted by cruiser View Post
                    Now I have REALLY figured out why Studebaker got into Difficulties . In the last
                    instalment of the Lamberti Papers , Number 17 , I remember doing the Math
                    and coming up with Shipments of vehicles to date totalling just over 60,000
                    units , so here we are a further week onwards and Shipments to date are
                    only getting to about 53,000 units . What is going on , Have I missed some
                    thing or can things like this sneak through at upper Management level .
                    CRUISER
                    Don't know if this may help answer your question, but some manufacturers divided "Shipping" figures into at least two categories.

One being, "Ship to DealerShip-in-place." Basically "shipping" the car in their zone/storage lots. They do not get paid, but it's simply an exercise to get that car off one book and onto another. For example; this Ship-in-place action would get a car off Studebaker CorporationStudebaker Sales CorporationShipment" figures could be reported

Comment

Originally posted by HAWK64 View Post
                      As the meetings of the department heads progresses during 1963 without too many positives I wonder how Sherwood Egbert's health holds up in this negative enviroment?
                      Studebaker Corporation (1911-1967)
                      [In 1967, Studebaker Corporation was bought by Wagner Electric Corporation]

Sherwood H. Egbert (1920-1969)
                      [In 1964, Egbert started a management consulting firm in Los Angeles. He died July 30, 1969, in Los Angeles]

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                        1. Sun Roof
                        2. Bumper Wing Guards
                        Others, anybody else? BP
                        3. Automatic 'No creep' control
                        4. Inside contol antenna
                        5. Aero-Strut wheelcovers

Craig
                        Last edited by 8E45E; 09-12-2011, 09:59 AM.

Comment

Did you note that there were some rust problems an cars store for 5 months? Might have been a clue to the factory.
                          Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
                          50 Champion 2 door*
                          53 Commander K Auto*
                          53 Commander K overdrive*
                          55 President Speedster
                          62 GT 4Speed*
                          63 Avanti R1*
                          64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

Originally posted by ddub View Post
                            Did you note that there were some rust problems an cars store for 5 months? Might have been a clue to the factory.
                            I just noticed a few days ago that the new diesel VW wagon in the driveway has an electronic "anti-rust" device (duh--don't think I'd looked under the hood before--what's there I can do myself?) Studebaker could have used one of these!

Comment

its amazing that there is no confirmation that the folks in attendence confirm auto cessation....

Comment

Working...
                              X