Engine Trivia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Deaf Mute View Post
    I give up. So when you gonna give me the answer?
    I thought that one week would be a reasonable amount of time for everyone that wants to weigh in to get involved. Everyone is not on the SDC Forum every day (I know that some are on more than once per day.).
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
      What was the largest displacement passenger car engine used by Studebaker (bonus - year/years)?

I believe that I remember the correct answer, but I am open to correction.
      What I believe to be the correct answer is the 6.5 litre six cylinder engine in the chassis provided to Studebaker by Garford, Elyria, Ohio in 1911.
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Gary; There is no evidence that a Six cylinder Garford engine ever powered a car with a Studebaker name on it (nor was it available). In fact there is no evidence that a 1911 Studebaker Garford was ever built. Studebaker severed its relationship with Garford in late 1910 or early 1911. After that date Garford continued to market cars under its own name. The last Garford automobile was built in 1913 though truck production continued to 1930 or so. They did offer a Six cylinder engine briefly but again this was after the business relationship with Studebaker had ended. The Four cylinder used in the 1910 Studebaker Garfords had a bore and stroke of 4 3/4 X 5 1/4." I believe this computes to around 372 c.i. During that era the standard of engine measurement used in all advertising was in terms of horsepower and never cubic inch displacement. Of course the metric measurement of "litres" was never used. Curious as to why you would use the metric measurement of 6.5 litres? I believe that translates to 396.6 c.i. I would welcome comments.
        Last edited by Studebaker Wheel; 09-18-2011, 10:35 PM.
        Richard Quinn
        Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel View Post
          Gary; There is no evidence that a Six cylinder Garford engine ever powered a car with a Studebaker name on it (nor was it available). In fact there is no evidence that a 1911 Studebaker Garford was ever built. Studebaker severed its relationship with Garford in late 1910 or early 1911. After that date Garford continued to market cars under its own name. The last Garford automobile was built in 1913 though truck production continued to 1930 or so. They did offer a Six cylinder engine briefly but again this was after the business relationship with Studebaker had ended. The Four cylinder used in the 1910 Studebaker Garfords had a bore and stroke of 4 3/4 X 5 1/4." I believe this computes to around 372 c.i. During that era the standard of engine measurement used in all advertising was in terms of horsepower and never cubic inch displacement. Of course the metric measurement of "litres" was never used. Curious as to why you would use the metric measurement of 6.5 litres? I believe that translates to 396.6 c.i. I would welcome comments.
          Thanks Richard. I was expecting you to chime in somewhere along the way. You know MUCH more about prewar cars than I do.
          I tried to be carefull in my wording of the question. I said "...engine used by Studebaker...", not "...with a Studebaker name on it..."
          My understanding, from Garford information, is that Garford made chassis for Studebaker to body.
          I used litres because that is what the Garford information used.
          I believe that Garford was acquired by Willys-Overland in 1912 and built Willys-Knight cars 1913-1915.
          As I initially stated, "...I am open to correction." Thanks for your input.

I got into Garfords because one of my nephews just learned of a barn find Garfield that has been tucked away for a long time until the owner died (famiiar story).
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Working...
          X