fuel pump cross-over?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fuel pump cross-over?

My brother picked up a new in box Carter fuel pump is M835SB equivalent to AC4459 printed on the box, and I was wondering if it worked for any Studebaker applications.

Judy

There are no direct crossovers from a Stude. V-8 pump to any other make, and that Carter? number is not for a Stude. IMO.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Check with Phil Harris at Fairborn Studebaker. If it is a 318/340/360 MoPar pump, he can bend the arm just right to make it fit a Studebaker V8, and they work well.

BTDT; I have one of Phil's MM (Modified MoPar) pumps on my 1964 Daytona sedan and it cured the vapor lock problems with which it was plagued. BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
      "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
        Check with Phil Harris at Fairborn Studebaker. If it is a 318/340/360 MoPar pump, he can bend the arm just right to make it fit a Studebaker V8, and they work well.

BTDT; I have one of Phil's MM (Modified MoPar) pumps on my 1964 Daytona sedan and it cured the vapor lock problems with which it was plagued. BP
        I gave Bill Cathcart a whole case of these NOS fuel pumps and he said that he had no use for them. I mentioned their use on Studebaker V8s and he wasn't familiar with that. I guess that he is really a six cylinder guy.
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I have used the 318 pumps on Stude Trucks with no modifications. But the lines won't hook up on a hawk because of the frame. Havn't tried it on a Lark.
          Neil Thornton

Comment

Somehow this turned into a conversation about Mopar fuel pumps - but the reality is that the Carter and AC numbers given cross to a International Truck 6 Cylinder engine.

Comment

Well, now we know that. Earlier-on, no one knew the application of the subject pump. BP
              We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
              "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Thanks. I'll tell him it's likely strictly International application.

Comment

Bought The modified mopar pump from Phil Harris at the meet in Springfield, Got it running saturday, Really woke up my 259, pulls harder than ever. I also changed my fuel lines to 3/8".
                  101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

Regarding the Carter pump: before discarding it, check and see if it is the same size, diaphragm-wise, as the Carter pump from your Studebaker. Maybe it could be gutted, and the internal parts used to rebuild your Stude pump.
                    Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post

Is this the High-performance Edelbrock pump or the Airtex pump? (Both Available At FLAPS)

Comment

'Looks like a "regular" Airtex pump to me. BP

Ayn Rand:

Comment

Good to know about the Mopar 318 pump being that the Stude V8 unit may soon be NS1
                          --------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

Working...
                          X