Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HELP PLEASE! Why are these bolts here?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • HELP PLEASE! Why are these bolts here?

    I took apart the 63's steering column and painted it. During disassembly I noticed the 2 square headed bolts are just there. They don't seem to do a thing,hold anything in place and were not real tight either. So I ask,why are they there? Am I missing something? You can see the bolt in question pointed out with a ink pen,and its companion in place on the other side.Anyone have an exploded view of a steering column in a PDF file or a picture they can post? I would be very grateful!
    Attached Files

  • #2
    The heads on those bolts catch into the rectangular holes in the sides of the column. In your 2nd picture you can see one of them near the end of the tube. They hold the bearing support onto the end of the column. They are a BEAR to get back together. Basically the bolts must be loose enough for the heads to spread out and slip over the end of the tube and then catch in those holes.
    sigpic
    Jeff in ND

    Comment


    • #3
      They are necessary.
      "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

      Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

      Comment


      • #4
        I just took apart a '53 steering column that uses the same bolts. The bolts were taped to the column tube with friction tape (still holding after all these years!). So, maybe, if you taped the bolts in place, leaving the nuts off, you could slide the switch housing assembly down over the bolts, and then spin the nuts on.
        Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

        Comment


        • #5
          fifty years ago, as a little boy i watched my uncle wayne and his father (my grandpa, Cal Brown) put these bolts in by wrapping a rubber band around them as they sat in the notches in the the column. last year, when i replaced the turn signal switch in my lark, that memory came flooding back to me. i sat in the front seat of the car, amazed that i had just remembered such a thing. those guys were great mechanics and i miss them dearly.
          61 lark cruiser
          64 daytona 2dr hardtop

          Comment


          • #6
            In addition to what others have mentioned...

            ...once you do get those two special bolts & special nuts engaged in the steering column jacket slots ...do NOT over-tighten them or you will distort those "slots" in the outer jacket. The correct nuts are refered to as "prevailing torque nuts." They do NOT need lockwashers and do NOT need to be tightened more than just a few lbs. ft. torque to do their job!

            Hint: I've installed and removed these bolts/nuts several times in the past few weeks on mine. Works best for me to install the bolts in the gear shift upper bracket and start both nuts approx. 2 threads. then slip the assembly over the streering column post jacket. And oh, yes, make sure your turnsignal wiring harness is installed before you do the above!!!

            Good Luck!!!
            Last edited by Welcome; 09-09-2011, 07:05 AM.

            Comment


            • #7
              To all :THANK YOU!! This is what makes a forum great. I will now go add to my frustration level....

              Comment


              • #8
                I have taped and glued the heads into the slots and thenpushed the head onto them,attached the nuts and tightened them up-- avoids a lot of frustration

                Comment


                • #9
                  Wow! What great information! I've got to replace my switch as well and was wondering about how to do this. Thanks everyone!
                  Clark in San Diego
                  '63 Standard (F2) "Barney"
                  http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Update: After fruitlessly searching for a rubber band I used the "tape method" mentioned by Gordon and it worked perfectly.Thanks again to all.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X