Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

LHD on the LHS

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • LHD on the LHS

    Went for a cruise on the weekend in Bruce, (The '51). At least I don't have to watch out for traffic when I open the driving side door to get out, just pedestrians.





    Reverse parking is 'interesting'........
    Last edited by Aussie Hawk; 09-09-2011, 07:12 PM.
    Matt
    Brisbane
    Australia
    sigpic

    Visit my Blog: http://www.mattsoilyrag.blogspot.com.au/

  • #2
    I recall that Oz used to prohibit RHD vehicles on its roads. When did they change the law?

    I have rented cars in several countries, including Australia, where LH driving is the rule. I've found that having the steering wheel on the right keeps me aware that the rules are different from what I've been used to. On a number of ex-British Caribbean islands, the rental cars are LHD, even though they continue to drive on the left. It's a recipe for disaster, as the layout is familiar and those of us who learned to drive in North America tend to keep right in an emergency situation.
    Skip Lackie

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Skip Lackie View Post
      I recall that Oz used to prohibit RHD vehicles on its roads. When did they change the law?

      I have rented cars in several countries, including Australia, where LH driving is the rule. I've found that having the steering wheel on the right keeps me aware that the rules are different from what I've been used to. On a number of ex-British Caribbean islands, the rental cars are LHD, even though they continue to drive on the left. It's a recipe for disaster, as the layout is familiar and those of us who learned to drive in North America tend to keep right in an emergency situation.
      I'm sure our Australian friends will cite the date, but I know when I visited Charles Schwerkolt in Melbourne in '77 he took me for a ride in his RHD R-2 Avanti and he told me that it had to be converted to be able to drive it in Australia.
      I did my first LH driving in New Zealand in a rented Datsun (tells you how far back that was). Traffic was generally light so it wasn't bad driving on the "wrong" side. Only once, at a remote intersection on South Island did I turn into the wrong lane. No one was near and the traffic monitor in the left seat got me corrected quickly. My biggest problem was turning on the wipers when I wanted turn signals. When I got back to Hawaii and rented a car, I had the same problem (controls reversed). By the time I drove in UK I had no problems except on the motorways where the fast lane was on the wrong side. Even with my throttle foot to the floor in the Ford Fiesta I kept having cars zoom up behind me and flash their lights for me to get over.
      What was really fun though, was driving my RHD GT Hawk in the US. I could sure see the side of the road nicely and seeing the reaction of people seeing a "driverless" car was priceless.
      Last edited by 53k; 09-08-2011, 08:02 AM.
      Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
      '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by 53k View Post
        I'm sure our Australian friends will cite the date, but I know when I visited Charles Schwerkolt in Melbourne in '77 he took me for a ride in his RHD R-2 Avanti and he told me that it had to be converted to be able to drive it in Australia.
        I did my first LH driving in New Zealand in a rented Datsun (tells you how far back that was). Traffic was generally light so it wasn't bad driving on the "wrong" side. Only once, at a remote intersection on South Island did I turn into the wrong lane. No one was near and the traffic monitor in the left seat got me corrected quickly. My biggest problem was turning on the wipers when I wanted turn signals. When I got back to Hawaii and rented a car, I had the same problem (controls reversed). By the time I drove in UK I had no problems except on the motorways where the fast lane was on the wrong side. Even with my throttle foot to the floor in the Ford Fiesta I kept having cars zoom up behind me and flash their lights for me to get over.
        What was really fun though, was driving my RHD GT Hawk in the US. I could sure see the side of the road nicely and seeing the reaction of people seeing a "driverless" car was priceless.
        Paul,
        Whatever happened to that RHD '64 GT Hawk of yours?

        \"QUIGLEY DOWN UNDER\"
        MELBOURNE.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by HAWK64 View Post
          Paul,
          Whatever happened to that RHD '64 GT Hawk of yours?
          In 1993 I sold it to a man in Detroit who wanted it for a small personal museum he planned to build. I drove it out to him and flew back. Within a year he died of cancer and the car sort of disappeared. Supposedly it sat out in a field for some time. However, 2008 it turned up on a Craigslist ad in the Detroit area. A Forum member in Kentucky bought it in pretty much project form. I sent him quite a bit of info about the car, but haven't heard any more recently.
          Attached Files
          Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
          '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Skip Lackie View Post
            I recall that Oz used to prohibit RHD vehicles on its roads. When did they change the law?

            I have rented cars in several countries, including Australia, where LH driving is the rule. I've found that having the steering wheel on the right keeps me aware that the rules are different from what I've been used to. On a number of ex-British Caribbean islands, the rental cars are LHD, even though they continue to drive on the left. It's a recipe for disaster, as the layout is familiar and those of us who learned to drive in North America tend to keep right in an emergency situation.
            I'm not sure of the dates, but nowadays so long as the car is 30 years old it can be driven LHD. I remember when I was a kid seeing some LHD cars with ' Caution Left Hand Drive' signs on the back, maybe that was just my state.
            Matt
            Brisbane
            Australia
            sigpic

            Visit my Blog: http://www.mattsoilyrag.blogspot.com.au/

            Comment


            • #7
              Matt, did you take those photos? They are absolutely georgeous! Fantastic black and white photography. Just perfect.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by BobGlasscock View Post
                Matt, did you take those photos? They are absolutely georgeous! Fantastic black and white photography. Just perfect.
                No Bob. the buddy of mine who is the budding photographer took them. He does some great work. Here's his Blog page with some more of his work, a few car ones as well.


                http://www.photophilanthropist.blogspot.com/
                Matt
                Brisbane
                Australia
                sigpic

                Visit my Blog: http://www.mattsoilyrag.blogspot.com.au/

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Skip Lackie View Post
                  I recall that Oz used to prohibit RHD vehicles on its roads. When did they change the law?

                  I have rented cars in several countries, including Australia, where LH driving is the rule. I've found that having the steering wheel on the right keeps me aware that the rules are different from what I've been used to. On a number of ex-British Caribbean islands, the rental cars are LHD, even though they continue to drive on the left. It's a recipe for disaster, as the layout is familiar and those of us who learned to drive in North America tend to keep right in an emergency situation.
                  Our US Virgin Islands mandate driving on the left------------with left hand drive vehicles. And the irony is a few right hookers are available new here in the USA; the Jeep Wrangler comes to mind, 100% US spec (MPH speedo, emissions, etc.) except for the steering wheel being on the right.
                  --------------------------------------

                  Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

                  Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

                  "Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Hi Matt,
                    I just love the black and white photos.Reminds one of the better times.My father was a camera operator for the Sunday Times and back then,it was all black and white. It certainly has a period charm to it.
                    Hi Paul. I'd be really curious to know if your 64 G.T. was one of the cars with a London destination,but ended up in Australia instead.Their were a few cars that came into Australia like this. I can't remember if it was Needhams of Sydney or the Canada Cycle Co of Melbourne who did the order for the 64 G.T.s that were diverted to Australia.
                    A.C.Moisley

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      For some years now, someone has been importing RHD Japanese vehicles into our area. They are all used vehicles, Mitsubishi, Toyota, Honda and Nissan mostly. All of them are ones which are not sold normally in North America with the exception of the Toyota Land Cruiser. The Mitsubishi Delica diesel 4 wheel drive van is very popular.

                      Terry

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Tony, I seem to recall Jim Quigley once mentioning that Canada Cycle were offered the oppoprtunity to purchase those Hawks.
                        John Clements
                        Christchurch, New Zealand

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Chantony View Post
                          Hi Matt,
                          I just love the black and white photos.Reminds one of the better times.My father was a camera operator for the Sunday Times and back then,it was all black and white. It certainly has a period charm to it.
                          Hi Paul. I'd be really curious to know if your 64 G.T. was one of the cars with a London destination,but ended up in Australia instead.Their were a few cars that came into Australia like this. I can't remember if it was Needhams of Sydney or the Canada Cycle Co of Melbourne who did the order for the 64 G.T.s that were diverted to Australia.
                          This GT was actually delivered to London. That's where the man I bought it from purchased it (Hensley(?), I belive). He may have ordered it though because he did order a '64 Avanti which was delivered by the same dealer in London.
                          Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                          '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by 53k View Post
                            This GT was actually delivered to London. That's where the man I bought it from purchased it (Hensley(?), I belive). He may have ordered it though because he did order a '64 Avanti which was delivered by the same dealer in London.
                            The production sheet indicates that RHC Bermuda Brown '64 Hawk was completed in September 1964. No doubt a direct order by Henleys of London who were the main Studebaker Distributor for England. Later on in 1963 Henleys placed an order for II Studebakers in RHC, 8 Hawks, 2 sliding roof S/Wagons plus a Bordeaux Red two door Daytona, all with disc brakes. These cars were completed during the third week of December 1963. I suspect Henleys cancelled their order with the grave situation with Studebaker at that time & subsequently these 11 units were offered to Canada Cycle & Motor Co here in Melbourne. We alerted our Dealer Network & then placed an order for 5 of the 8 Hawks at a discounted price. These cars arrived by ship into Melbourne during August 1964 & sold quite quickly. Three of them survive in Melbourne, two in Laguna Blue plus one in Strato Blue whilst I believe the Bermuda Brown may be in Perth these days. Alas, the Jet Green unit was wrecked many years ago.

                            \"QUIGLEY DOWN UNDER\"
                            MELBOURNE.

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X