seperating drum from hub

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• seperating drum from hub

my grandpa was telling me a way to seperate the drum from the hub on my silver hawk. he said to drill alignment holes between the studs and countersink the drum then tap the hub when i got it apart so i could instal a couple of screws.but to get the hub off he said to get a small grinder and grind the swaged parts of the stud out as much as i could then drive out the studs. after i got the studs out he said to ream the hubs so they would slide over the studs easily. then when you wanted to change the brakes all you had to do was remove the tire and a couple of screws. just wanting to know if anyone else has ever done this?
    Kevin Phillips
    Jacksonville,AR

53 commander

You can use a hack saw to cut down the swedging on the lugs or a swedge cutting tool.
    Pressing ( or bumping ) the hub off has to be done carefully, as the thickness of the drum wall around the lugs isn't much to brag about.

Installing the hub on a new drum can be done by pulling it on with the lugnuts and a stack of washers on each lug...

Support the center of the hub from the bottom side and use a sharp center punch to ping the edges of the lugs to "re-swedge" them..

Your idea with the countersunk screws can be found on many cars today, but I don't think the wall thickness of the Stude drum would be that suitable for threading. It's only about 1/8"

Bob Johnstone
    64 GT Hawk (K7)
    1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

You can use a hack saw to cut down the swedging on the lugs or a swedge cutting tool.
      Pressing ( or bumping ) the hub off has to be done carefully, as the thickness of the drum wall around the lugs isn't much to brag about.

Installing the hub on a new drum can be done by pulling it on with the lugnuts and a stack of washers on each lug...

Support the center of the hub from the bottom side and use a sharp center punch to ping the edges of the lugs to "re-swedge" them..

Your idea with the countersunk screws can be found on many cars today, but I don't think the wall thickness of the Stude drum would be that suitable for threading. It's only about 1/8"

Bob Johnstone
      64 GT Hawk (K7)
      1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Even modern cars(ie Jeep Cherokee etc) that have countersunk screws holding them to the hub, have the threads in the hub flange, the counter sink is in the drum and first couple thousands of the hub flange.
        8E12 Champs have the drums secured with countersunk screws.

3E38
        4E2
        4E28
        5E13
        7E7
        8E7
        8E12
        8E28
        4E2
        59 Lark
        etc

Comment

Even modern cars(ie Jeep Cherokee etc) that have countersunk screws holding them to the hub, have the threads in the hub flange, the counter sink is in the drum and first couple thousands of the hub flange.
          8E12 Champs have the drums secured with countersunk screws.

3E38
          4E2
          4E28
          5E13
          7E7
          8E7
          8E12
          8E28
          4E2
          59 Lark
          etc

Comment