Saturday..... of Hawks and Biplanes!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saturday..... of Hawks and Biplanes!

I drove Pete up to the annual Antique Airplane Fly-In in Merced on Saturday. Pete ran up there - and back - without a hitch (of course, I didn't take a trailer along anyway![}])
    Got to see LOTS of beautiful old flying machines. Biplanes, warbirds, Piper cubs to Lockheed model 10s such as Amelia Earhardt got lost in.
    One of the honorary "chase vehicles" of the day was this FINE '63 Hawk owned by Mr. Ray Young. He's been a long-time SDC member and was quick to tell me that he has an Avanti and a 62 Lark convertible to keep the Hawk from getting lonely.
    You can see his Hawk's license plate. Ray told me his Lark's plate says "My Lark" and the Avanti says' "A Avanti". Pretty cool!

Also, here's a photo of a 1930 New Standard D-25 Biplane. This thing is a fairly recent restoration. It's a gorgeously impressive and WORKING part of aviation history. One to which a Studebaker driver could really relate to! This thing earns it's keep by giving folks a taste of Golden Age aviation, up close and personal! It's set up to carry 4 passengers as well as a pilot. $60 bucks for a ride, which I thought was a bargain. Consequently, I treated myself to a momentary step back in time.
    [img] http://images.andale.com/f2/115/106/...6/3/NSBipe.jpg [/img]

[img] http://images.andale.com/f2/115/106/.../BipeFlite.jpg [/img]

This is a BIG Bipe, and what was SO impressive about it was the ol' Radial engine never seemed to do anything but loaf along! There was no roaring snarl as the throttle was opened - no snap of the neck as the power came on. I could hear the engine RPM seem to pick up a bit and the fury of the propwash increased over where I set, in the frontmost cockpit. There was a young dad and his 3-year old son sitting in the seats behind me. Aft of them is the pilot's cockpit.
    As the blast from the prop rose in intensity - in what couldn't have been more than 200 feet - the New Standard's wheels lifted off and we quickly put distance between us and the ground.
    Sitting not much more than 2 feet behind that able radial engine, you can feel it's smooth grumble more than you hear it.[] Out over pastures and subdivisions, the air was warm and the skies were gleamingly blue. I'd have been perfectly happy to cruise on until we'd need to drop into some sleepy little airport for fuel. IN-toxicating experience![]

Heh... After our flight, I asked the 50ish pilot where "home" was. He came back that it was wherever he landed for the night! Man, WHAT a life![:0][^]

Miscreant adrift in
    the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Sounds like an awesome fun day!
    Jeff[8D]
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Sounds like an awesome fun day!
      Jeff[8D]
      HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Man, I would like to go up in a Biplane. I could afford the 60 bucks, but not the trip to CA.

I went up in a glider plane one time. It was a wonderful experience.

Leonard Shepherd
        http://leonardshepherd.com/

Comment

Man, I would like to go up in a Biplane. I could afford the 60 bucks, but not the trip to CA.

Leonard Shepherd
          http://leonardshepherd.com/

Comment

Thanks Jeff. Boy, it WAS a great day. It happened to be the 50th anniversary of this event. This year's also Pete's 50th year on the roads.
            Being 12 when Pete came to be, I can remember reading back then about the Ottumwa, Iowa antique airplane gathering of those days. I might even have read about Merced's first gathering.

I will say that having attended this event several times over the last decade, there was ALOT less fly-by routines than there was in the past. While I didn't ask, I'd be willing to bet it was in no small part due to the price of Avgas. If we're paying 3-something for regular, I KNOW Avgas' gotta be worse!

Miscreant adrift in
            the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
            1960 Larkvertible V8
            1958 Provincial wagon
            1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Thanks Jeff. Boy, it WAS a great day. It happened to be the 50th anniversary of this event. This year's also Pete's 50th year on the roads.
              Being 12 when Pete came to be, I can remember reading back then about the Ottumwa, Iowa antique airplane gathering of those days. I might even have read about Merced's first gathering.

I will say that having attended this event several times over the last decade, there was ALOT less fly-by routines than there was in the past. While I didn't ask, I'd be willing to bet it was in no small part due to the price of Avgas. If we're paying 3-something for regular, I KNOW Avgas' gotta be worse!

Miscreant adrift in
              the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
              1960 Larkvertible V8
              1958 Provincial wagon
              1953 Commander coupe

Comment

[quote
                [/quote]

For all the hours Ellen and I have, she would never go up in a glider, open cockpit, J-3, PA-140 even a Jet Ranger with doors open, but never a glider.

Looks like everyone enjoyed the day from the photos. Sad how gerneral aviation in this area has declined.

BG

Comment

[quote
                  [/quote]

For all the hours Ellen and I have, she would never go up in a glider, open cockpit, J-3, PA-140 even a Jet Ranger with doors open, but never a glider.

Looks like everyone enjoyed the day from the photos. Sad how gerneral aviation in this area has declined.

BG

Comment

Working...
                  X