Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

VP Joe Biden and Studebaker (non-political)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VP Joe Biden and Studebaker (non-political)

October 2011 issue of Car and Driver interview with Joe Biden:

C/D: You're the son of a car salesman?

JB: For 34 years, my dad managed dealerships in Delaware. Mostly GM, but he did run a Chrysler operation and for a short time also sold Fords in Wilmington. He was bringing cars home all the time. I remember my senior prom, being able to take a 7000-mile Chrysler 300D off the lot.

C/D: Which cars do you most recall?

JB: I bought a '51 Studebaker. My dad thought it was nice and calm, but it had that overdrive, and it was fast. Then I bought a 1952 Plymouth convertible, candy-apple red with a split windshield. I think that was my favorite. I had a '56 Chevy, then in college I bought a 100,000 mile Mercedes 190SL with those Solex carburetors that never functioned. And I stil have my Goodwood-green Corvette, 327, 350-horse, with a rear-axle ratio that really gets up and goes. The Secret Service won't let me drive it. I'm not allowed to drive anything. It's one thing I hate about this job. I'm serious.

Then the interview goes into modern issues in the industry.
    KURTRUK
    (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Who knew Biden was a motorhead?

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Who knew Biden was a motorhead?
      If he was, I don't believe he is one now.

Of course, maybe he hurt his head in a bad wreck and didn't realize it.
      The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Interview continued:

C/D: Any car recently zing you?

JB: My brother has one of those 556-hp [CTS-V] Cadillacs with a manual. He brought it down for me to eat my heart out. So I got in. I have a driveway that's about 1700 feet long. I knew the Secret Service wouldn't let me drive it outside. So I jumped on that sucker and laid rubber. A great feeling. That thing could probably beat my Corvette.

And finishes with this:

C/D: Tell the president to read C/D.

JB: I will. And I do.
        KURTRUK
        (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

Wow, who knew? I always think he says the most oafish things, but I have a better appreciation for him now--seriously!
          Bill Pressler
          Kent, OH
          (formerly Greenville, PA)
          Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
          Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
          1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
          1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
          All are in Australia now

Comment

Sorry, but no sale. I doubt that dimwit could open a car hood, let alone appreciate any specific car.
            Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
            Romans 15:13
            Deuteronomy 31:6
            Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Apparently, some people can spell, but they can't comprehend.....I thought I read NON-POLITICAL in the thread topic??? But I guess SOME people just can't /wont help themselves from being negative at every oppertunity!
              Bez Auto Alchemy
              573-318-8948
              http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

How is mentioning the fact that someone is a proven dimwit political?
                Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

And calling someone a dimwitt isn't negative????
                  Bez Auto Alchemy
                  573-318-8948
                  http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

No wonder no one wants those jobs....can't see going 4 years without driving an old car <g>
                    sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

[QUOTE=Bob Andrews;574899]How is mentioning the fact that someone is a proven dimwit political?[/QUOTsut because His father sold used cars,that may have made him a c
                      guy.
                      JDP Maryland

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Andrews View Post
                        Sorry, but no sale. I doubt that dimwit could open a car hood, let alone appreciate any specific car.
                        I had the pleasure of meeting Joe Biden in the early 70s when I was living in DE, and I've met him several times since and followed his career. The good folks of DE saw fit to send him to represent them in the Senate for 36 years, and the citizens of the USA saw fit to elect him VP.

While Joe sometimes speaks before he thinks, he's a fine man of sterling character, and, I assure you, he's no dimwit. He rose from a humble working class background to the second highest elected office in the country.

Comment

Originally posted by jnormanh View Post
                          While Joe sometimes speaks before he thinks, he's a fine man of sterling character, and, I assure you, he's no dimwit.
                          I respectfully disagree with you. It's been one cringe after another with him. Some may not have paid attention, but it is not hard to find proof of what I said. Check out some of this wonderful guy's PUBLIC quotes (WARNING: Foul language):

http://politicalhumor.about.com/od/j.../bidenisms.htm

Those do not leave me with any conclusion of 'sterling character' or intelligence. How about asking a known wheelchair user to stand up:

http://politicalhumor.about.com/od/j...n-stand-up.htm

I appreciate your civil response, and am sorry to have to show you this.

And for the record, my comments were NOT political. Based on the evidence above, my opinion would apply to anyone of any political party. I cannot imagine that, given his public record, anyone paying attention would try to defend him.
                          Proud NON-CASO

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Andrews View Post

And for the record, my comments were NOT political.
                            Of course your comments were political. You pick a couple gaffes from 40 years of public service and call the man dimwit. Suppose I could review 40 years of your history; let me choose a few seconds and I can paint you or anyone else with whatever brush I like.

http://politicalhumor.about.com/library/blbushisms.htm

http://politicalhumor.about.com/od/r...ann-quotes.htm

http://politicalhumor.about.com/od/s.../palinisms.htm

http://politicalhumor.about.com/od/j...-10-mccain.htm

See how easy it is? I'm done with this, it doesn't belong here.
                            Last edited by jnormanh; 09-05-2011, 04:42 PM.

Comment

A few?

http://www.bing.com/search?mkt=en-US...oe+biden+gaffe

That's just a 15-second search. Look through the page after page of articles and video clips.

If you can discount everything, of course that's your right. I was called out on my comment, and posted the evidence that led me to it. If you have a list of brilliant comments and record of individual achievements, post them too. Then we can all decide for ourselves.
                              Proud NON-CASO

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

Working...
                              X