The Lamberti papers #15

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by studegary View Post
    Bob P. - I have to disagree with part of your post #28.
    I purchased Studebaker stock during the period of time under discussion. I remember the stock becoming worthless when automobile production ended and a new stock was issued for the "new" corporation. A similar thing happened with my Rolls Royce stock.
    How long did you wait after production ended in South Bend? I have heard of some who did make money on the sale of their stock in 1964.

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
      How long did you wait after production ended in South Bend? I have heard of some who did make money on the sale of their stock in 1964.

Craig
      Yes, you were okay if you sold in 1964. I was referring to after car production ended (1966).
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I agree with you Bob, Shortsighted is another word for Union IMHO and experience.

Originally posted by Bob Andrews View Post
        Interesting. That's the first time I've heard Mr. Egbert accused of being anything but a guy who was instrumental in prolonging Studebaker for a few more years; who might have turned it around had he not fallen ill; and would have stood up to and corrected the greedy, arrogant attitude of union management had he survived. Everything I've found in my desire to study and learn the history of the Studebaker Corp. unanimously backs this up, starting with the fact that Studebaker employees did in fact have contracts that were unsustainable if the automotive division was to survive. The Union sealed the fate of the company with a strike that killed production at the most critical time, and screwed themselves out of their own members' livelihoods. That has the ring of truth, because we see unions doing that all across the country today; and either the company moves out of the country, or simply closes down. And, the unions prefer to actually kill the company over being rational.

As always, I state that I'm new to the Studebaker world, having only been involved since about 2004. So I defer on the facts of the history to the better-versed.
        Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain !

http://sites.google.com/site/intrigu...tivehistories/

(/url) https://goo.gl/photos/ABBDQLgZk9DyJGgr5

Comment

Working...
        X