power steering/auto trans. fluid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• power steering/auto trans. fluid

hello, can anyone TELL me what to use to replace TYPE A-Suffix-A. HAVE 1963 R1 AVANTI AND 63 LARK. HAVING BEEN USING WRONG PRODUCT FOR POWER STEERING/ PROBLEMS!!! SHOP MANUAL SAYS TO USE THIS. AVANTI IS 289/W POWER ASSIST AUTOMATIC. LARK AUTOMATIC ALSO.
    Last edited by CHERYL; 09-01-2011, 09:40 PM.

All 1956 and later Studebakers use the Type "F" for 1968 and older Fords, it is made by Valvoline and can be ordered or found at O'Rielly's Auto Parts, some NAPA Stores etc.

If you are unable to get the "F", you could use Type "FA" or even Dextron II if you can find that, avoid all of the "New Car stuff".

The important thing is to flush the Power Steering and drain all of it out of the Trans. including the Torque Converter in front of the Transmission (it has a drain plug) and do not mix Mix types, I like to keep a Qt. or two in the trunk so I remember both the type and Brand used in both units for adding or future changes.

Do you know what type is in your car?
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

B&M Trick Shift is a good replacement for Studes, and is the best thing also to run in a supercharger.
      Not the synthetic stuff though.
      It works best with the stock brass trans clutches.
      If your trans has been rebuilt with paper clutches, then Dexron III is recomended.
      The power steering system should be flushed and one type of fluid used, but not mixed.
      Some cheap store brands will foam and cause noises in a power steering system.
      I have goo.d luck with Dexron VI synthetic fluid
      Last edited by bezhawk; 09-02-2011, 05:52 AM.
      Bez Auto Alchemy
      573-318-8948
      http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Studerich; thanks, you saved the day. Hope i didn't kill the car. Had help from howard brown to guide me thru. Power steering insert design is tuff to get at, but was successful,this was for the avanti. Will get to the lark soon.

Comment

Studerich; cheryl again, the prior fluid was off the shelf and clear, oops. must pay closer attention to these things.THANKS again

Comment

Working...
          X