X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charlie D
    replied
    Brian,

I sent the cam & lifters out of my 259 to Oregon Cam this past February. They charged me $50 for the cam and $64 for the 16 lifters. They had to take a little over .0005 off each of the larger lobes and .00125 off the smaller #5 back bearing surface to clean them up. With standard cam bearings that threw the clearance on the back one up near the .00275 maximum per the shop manual and # 4 just barely over at .0028. It cost $19 each way from Tulsa & back for UPS. I am very pleased with how the grinding of the cam and resurfacing of the lifters turned out.

Charlie D.

Leave a comment:

• woodysrods
    replied
    My motor is a 289 with shallow dished pistons. What was the cost of your last regrind if you don't mind??
    Good Roads
    Brian

Leave a comment:

• Bud
    replied
    Brian, Isky will reject a core is there is pitting on the cam lobes as they say that the regrind could fail. Fortunately most of the cams I've sent for regrind are useable. I would recommend the E4 grind for a 259 used on the street as it still gives good vacuum and a decent idle. I've used the e4 cam in several engines with good results. As an added note, I've never had a core rejected because of the bearing journals. Bud

Leave a comment:

• woodysrods
    replied
    Thanks Mike
    But too rich for this build????
    Brian

Leave a comment:

• woodysrods
    replied
    Originally posted by Bud View Post
    Iskenderian no longer has new cams for Studebakers, but they can regrind a good core to the ST5 or E4 specs. The Isky factory is about 15 minutes from me so I take a couple of cores to them when I want a cam ground. Their phone is 213-770-0930 and they are located in Gardena, Ca. I have an ST5 cam in my Avanti and I'm very happy with it. Bud
    How do you determine that you have a "Good Core"?
    Would that mean I would need under sized cam bearings??
    Brian

Leave a comment:

• Mike Van Veghten
    replied
    OR............jump into the roller cam arena with those of us doing so.
    You can go as mild or as wild a cam as you please.
    Two pluss's -
    1. Even with a mild cam, you'll have more power thAn the same grind in a flat tappet design.
    2. No more worries/concerns about the lack of "anti-wear" properties in the current oil.

Yea...it'll cost a little more...but....

See the Studebaler Racing site (Stude powered section) if interested.

Mike

Leave a comment:

• Bud
    replied
    Iskenderian no longer has new cams for Studebakers, but they can regrind a good core to the ST5 or E4 specs. The Isky factory is about 15 minutes from me so I take a couple of cores to them when I want a cam ground. Their phone is 213-770-0930 and they are located in Gardena, Ca. I have an ST5 cam in my Avanti and I'm very happy with it. Bud

Leave a comment:

• woodysrods
    replied
    Thanks Guys
    Engine rebuild kit has been purchased from reputable Studebaker vender (all USA made parts). Went with shallow dished pistons.
    Now back to the cam.
    I am looking to perchase a new Isky E-4 or ST5 camshaft. ASAP
    Anyone have any leads.
    Good Roads
    Brian

Leave a comment:

• woodysrods
    replied
    Thanks Guys
    This is why I am hooked on the Forum.
    Great input, and fast! Definitely helps with the project decisions!
    Good Roads
    Brian

Leave a comment:

• DEEPNHOCK
    replied
    Here's a source several Stude racers use...

http://www.oregoncamshaft.com/

(copy)
    We are old car collectors and restorers, too. It's our hobby - a way to unwind after a hard day of grinding cams! We understand your concerns as a classic car owner and we're here to help you restore your car's engine correctly and economically by providing you with the most cost-efficient solution to your camshaft problem.
    Need a quote on a cam grind, remanufacture or new camshaft for a 1936 Lincoln K-series (like the one pictured above)? A 1948 Studebaker Commander? A 1957 Oldsmobile with the J-2 Tri-Power engine? A 1963 Mercury Marauder? A 1975 Corvette? Contact us - we can help.

Oregon Cam Grinding, Inc.
    5913 NE 127th Avenue #200
    Vancouver, WA 98682
    Phone: 360-256-7985
    Fax: 360-256-7465

Leave a comment:

• PackardV8
    replied
    We've covered it several times here, but the best buy on a hotter camshaft is and always has been an ST5 direct from Iskenderian.

jack vines

Leave a comment:

• JoeHall
    replied
    The guy in Florida sells offshore junk. I had a bad experience withhim on cam bearings. He also hawks Harley parts, and lots of Harley guys have had bad experiences with him. He is considered bad news by most every Harley guy who has dealt with him..

Leave a comment:

• StudeRich
    replied
    The on-line "cheap" kits are partially or completely off-shore made parts, if you are happy with unknown quality materials and quality control then go for it.

Or I or "some" Stude. Vendors could send you the best North American made quality parts available, your choice.

Leave a comment:

• Alan
    replied
    There is Colt cams up on the island there in B.C.

Leave a comment:

• JDP
    replied
    Buy the R2+ cam from a Studebaker vendor, and have them make you up a better and cheaper "kit".

Leave a comment:

Working...
X