Camshaft help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camshaft help!

Okay, Sandi's 289 was droped off at the machine shop yesterday for hot tank and measuring. The plan is to buy one of those "Deluxe Engine Rebuild Kits" listed on ebay??? Has anyone had any experience with one of these?
    Also I would like to run a little hotter "camshaft".
    I have been reading a lot posts on this subject. But now that I ame ready to get on with it, I can't seem to find all this good information! The search function on this forum has never been friendly for me!!!
    There was good info on a cam grinder in the Portland Oregon area I beleive. Does anyone rember this thread?
    Thanks for any help or info you can provide me with.
    Good Roads
    Brian
    Brian Woods
    woodysrods@shaw.ca
    1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Buy the R2+ cam from a Studebaker vendor, and have them make you up a better and cheaper "kit".
    JDP Maryland

Comment

There is Colt cams up on the island there in B.C.

Comment

The on-line "cheap" kits are partially or completely off-shore made parts, if you are happy with unknown quality materials and quality control then go for it.

Or I or "some" Stude. Vendors could send you the best North American made quality parts available, your choice.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

The guy in Florida sells offshore junk. I had a bad experience withhim on cam bearings. He also hawks Harley parts, and lots of Harley guys have had bad experiences with him. He is considered bad news by most every Harley guy who has dealt with him..

Comment

We've covered it several times here, but the best buy on a hotter camshaft is and always has been an ST5 direct from Iskenderian.

jack vines
            PackardV8

Comment

Here's a source several Stude racers use...

http://www.oregoncamshaft.com/

(copy)
              We are old car collectors and restorers, too. It's our hobby - a way to unwind after a hard day of grinding cams! We understand your concerns as a classic car owner and we're here to help you restore your car's engine correctly and economically by providing you with the most cost-efficient solution to your camshaft problem.
              Need a quote on a cam grind, remanufacture or new camshaft for a 1936 Lincoln K-series (like the one pictured above)? A 1948 Studebaker Commander? A 1957 Oldsmobile with the J-2 Tri-Power engine? A 1963 Mercury Marauder? A 1975 Corvette? Contact us - we can help.

Oregon Cam Grinding, Inc.
              5913 NE 127th Avenue #200
              Vancouver, WA 98682
              Phone: 360-256-7985
              Fax: 360-256-7465
              HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Thanks Guys
                This is why I am hooked on the Forum.
                Great input, and fast! Definitely helps with the project decisions!
                Good Roads
                Brian
                Brian Woods
                woodysrods@shaw.ca

Comment

Thanks Guys
                  Engine rebuild kit has been purchased from reputable Studebaker vender (all USA made parts). Went with shallow dished pistons.
                  Now back to the cam.
                  I am looking to perchase a new Isky E-4 or ST5 camshaft. ASAP
                  Anyone have any leads.
                  Good Roads
                  Brian
                  Brian Woods
                  woodysrods@shaw.ca

Comment

Iskenderian no longer has new cams for Studebakers, but they can regrind a good core to the ST5 or E4 specs. The Isky factory is about 15 minutes from me so I take a couple of cores to them when I want a cam ground. Their phone is 213-770-0930 and they are located in Gardena, Ca. I have an ST5 cam in my Avanti and I'm very happy with it. Bud

Comment

OR............jump into the roller cam arena with those of us doing so.
                      You can go as mild or as wild a cam as you please.
                      Two pluss's -
                      1. Even with a mild cam, you'll have more power thAn the same grind in a flat tappet design.
                      2. No more worries/concerns about the lack of "anti-wear" properties in the current oil.

Yea...it'll cost a little more...but....

See the Studebaler Racing site (Stude powered section) if interested.

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Bud View Post
                        Iskenderian no longer has new cams for Studebakers, but they can regrind a good core to the ST5 or E4 specs. The Isky factory is about 15 minutes from me so I take a couple of cores to them when I want a cam ground. Their phone is 213-770-0930 and they are located in Gardena, Ca. I have an ST5 cam in my Avanti and I'm very happy with it. Bud
                        How do you determine that you have a "Good Core"?
                        Would that mean I would need under sized cam bearings??
                        Brian
                        Brian Woods
                        woodysrods@shaw.ca

Comment

Thanks Mike
                          But too rich for this build????
                          Brian
                          Brian Woods
                          woodysrods@shaw.ca

Comment

Brian, Isky will reject a core is there is pitting on the cam lobes as they say that the regrind could fail. Fortunately most of the cams I've sent for regrind are useable. I would recommend the E4 grind for a 259 used on the street as it still gives good vacuum and a decent idle. I've used the e4 cam in several engines with good results. As an added note, I've never had a core rejected because of the bearing journals. Bud

Comment

My motor is a 289 with shallow dished pistons. What was the cost of your last regrind if you don't mind??
                              Good Roads
                              Brian
                              Brian Woods
                              woodysrods@shaw.ca

Comment

Working...
                              X