A quick re-cap...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A quick re-cap...

I want to order my car shipping documents from the museum and they want my vin, I tried doing research, but it isn't making sense... in one post it says commanders start with an 8 in their vin....

Here is what it says under my hood, one is on a tag riveted to the fire wall, I forget where the other was as I posted this info a long time ago:

Serial # 4I65773
    Tag: 10AW-3 15189

On the door pillar drivers side.

Comment

Thank You much. I hadn't seen anything there yet, however the paint plate, etc... is on the driver side door well. I will be using that to figure out what the original color was.

Comment

What is commonly called a 'VIN' today, was known simply as the serial number back when Studebakers were being built. Your serial number identifies a 1940 Commander, and this is what the museum needs to locate your car's info.
        A '40 Commander ENGINE serial number does start with a number 8, and many states used that number instead of the car serial number on their titles back then.

Comment

Originally posted by new2drive View Post
          Serial # 4I65773
          By the way, Studebaker always used the Roman numeral I to designate a one. So, your Serial Number, which should also be your registered VIN, is 4165773.
          "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

Doesn't that mean it is a 41 then? I will also find the engine id... haven't found that yet.

Comment

Working...
            X