Studebaker Artist out there?????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker Artist out there?????

I was wondering if anyone out there knew of an artist that did work with Studebakers. Back in the 1940's (according to my dad) my grandfather owned a Mobil service station in our hometown, and his service truck was a red M5 pickup. My dad always talks about that truck, but unfortunately a real M5 is probably not gonna happen. I thought it would be cool if someone could create a painting/picture of the truck instead. I know a lot of "artists" could probably do something if I told them what I wanted, but I'm looking for a "Studebaker" person whos heart will be in it. Any leads on someone who could do this would be appreciated.

Have just the man for you. Long time SDC member and professional artist Curt Sochocki (raised in South Bend but now in New Carlisle, IN). He does contract work. Samples of some of his work above. He can do oils or other mediums as noted. Can send other examples if needed. Send me a personal message or email me at rtq11@aol.com and I will forward his contact info.
    Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Another would be commercial artist Rick Moon of Lafayette IN. Rick is a long-time SDC member and Studebaker enthusiast, and a great guy to boot.

One of Rick's nice works is the reverant portrait of Ron Hall superimposed on a Bonneville Salt Flats background on Page 18 of the May 1996 Turning Wheels. (Sorry, no scanner: had to photograph the page and this does not do it justice):

Anyway, as with Dick's suggestion, above, PM me if you'd like Rick's contact information as well. BP
      Last edited by BobPalma; 09-01-2011, 03:58 AM. Reason: added photo
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
      "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

And I can supply photos of my red M5...
        Gary Ash
        Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
        ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
        '48 M5
        '65 Wagonaire Commander
        '63 Wagonaire Standard
        web site at http://www.studegarage.com

Comment

What kind of painting are you looking to have done ...small canvas? ...side of a building ...or ???

Jim Tweedy from the Michiana Chapter did all the Chapter's auto-art work & much more for many, many years would have been your go-to-guy. I commissioned him to do a painting from an old photograph of my Mother & Father in front of Dad's then brand new '41 Champion. Unfortunately, Jim passed shortly after the 2002 South Bend IM. Steve, currently best local would be a Grand-daughter of a former Studebaker employee. She is well known around South Bend for her "perspective/illusions” type paintings in & outside of South Bend area commercial buildings. She only paints part-time and is very selective of what works she will consider.
          Last edited by Welcome; 09-01-2011, 05:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by stevo5671 View Post
            I was wondering if anyone out there knew of an artist that did work with Studebakers. Back in the 1940's (according to my dad) my grandfather owned a Mobil service station in our hometown, and his service truck was a red M5 pickup. My dad always talks about that truck, but unfortunately a real M5 is probably not gonna happen. I thought it would be cool if someone could create a painting/picture of the truck instead. I know a lot of "artists" could probably do something if I told them what I wanted, but I'm looking for a "Studebaker" person whos heart will be in it. Any leads on someone who could do this would be appreciated.
            Bob Dudeck, a member of the Keystone Region Chapter, would be an excellent contact for you.
            Stu Chapman

Comment

Thank you for all the great suggestions...I'm following up on a few of them now.

Comment

Let us know how it works out!
                1957 Studebaker Champion 2 door. Staten Island, New York.

"Education is not the learning of facts, but the training of the mind to think." -Albert Einstein

Comment

I have always been passionate about Studebakers. My love for these cars and trucks started at age 16 with a 1949 3/4 ton Champion pickup and through the following 13 years, I owned nine. Currently, I have six Studebakers and do my own restoration work.
                  I basically learned art work on my own and have done many Stude paintings. The medium I use is watercolor. I have never sold my work and just enjoy doing it for those who are as passionate about these cars as I am.
                  Please let me know if you would like a picture of what type of work I do and I can be of help.
                  Sincerely,
                  Earl

Comment

There was a TW advert for a print of a painting of Roy Graham's garage. Could have been his daughter that was the artist? Check TW adverisers and you may find her. Very nostalgic rendering.
                    Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Check this artist - he did my red 64 Avanti.

http://www.classicautorenderings.com/avanti.html

Comment

Working...
                      X