Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When was 289 V8 first available in the Lark???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'60 Hawk V-8 Engines

Originally posted by avantilover View Post
    /Cut/I have information from my club member's data book that a 289 was optional in 1960 with engine numbers commencing (US) P70501 and (CAN) PC2201.

Was this correct? I'm sure that Rich knows his stuff and I can advise Daryl to correct his data if necessary.
    It's probable that Daryl typed out this data for the Hawk then added it to the Lark pages in error. Thoughts/comments
    You guessed correctly, John:

PC-2,201 1960 Hawk 60V (Canada) 289

P-70,501 1960 Hawk 60V 289 2

This is from our updated by (Skip Lackie) Studebaker V/8 Engine Identification breakdown list from the Mainpage Link:
    Studebaker Tech Tips, Specs and Data.

The note 2 says: "2. Also used in some Police Marshalls"
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
      Available to special people and for special purposes, as extra specially ordered, of course as always, "Studebaker aimed to please"!
      Yes, Rich, they DID!

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
        You guessed correctly, John:

PC-2,201 1960 Hawk 60V (Canada) 289

P-70,501 1960 Hawk 60V 289 2

This is from our updated by (Skip Lackie) Studebaker V/8 Engine Identification breakdown list from the Mainpage Link:
        Studebaker Tech Tips, Specs and Data.

The note 2 says: "2. Also used in some Police Marshalls"
        Interesting subnote about the 289 use in Hawks, at least in Canada, in the 1960 model year. (I used to have a 60 Hamilton Hawk, #48 off the line out of 220 built that year, ie PC 2248) The interesting thing is that Hawk production almost didn't happen in 1960, as the first one was built in March 1960 I seem to recall, which was a late start in the model year. I believe mine was built March 30th. I no longer have the car or a copy of the build sheet. March 23rd might have been the order date. The late start date for Hawk production in Canada ties in with the late year introduction of the 289. As far as I know, no Hamilton cars other than Hawks ever got a 289 in 1960.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim B PEI View Post
          Interesting subnote about the 289 use in Hawks, at least in Canada, in the 1960 model year. (I used to have a 60 Hamilton Hawk, #48 off the line out of 220 built that year, ie PC 2248) The interesting thing is that Hawk production almost didn't happen in 1960, as the first one was built in March 1960 I seem to recall, which was a late start in the model year. I believe mine was built March 30th. I no longer have the car or a copy of the build sheet. March 23rd might have been the order date. The late start date for Hawk production in Canada ties in with the late year introduction of the 289. As far as I know, no Hamilton cars other than Hawks ever got a 289 in 1960.
          Many years ago, you sent me a scan of your build sheet for that car, but the image was VERY small, and did not enlarge very well. This is the best I was able to get it.

Craig

Comment

Thanks Guys, much appreciated.
            John Clements
            Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

I see that the 1960 Hawk build sheet refers to the model as a "SILVER HAWK COUPE". Did Canada still refer to the 1960 Hawk as a Silver Hawk (the USA did not)?
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                I see that the 1960 Hawk build sheet refers to the model as a "SILVER HAWK COUPE". Did Canada still refer to the 1960 Hawk as a Silver Hawk (the USA did not)?
                The only place I've ever seen a post-'60 Hawk refered to as a "Silver" Hawk is on a Canadian build sheet up and that was up until 1962. Perhaps Mr. Chapman can enlighten us as to why Studebaker of Canada did this.

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by Skinnys Garage View Post
                  I'll try to get the 7 page special deviation papers scanned and posted to my '60 Marshal update thread.
                  http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...arshal-Updates
                  Have you had time to scan them yet? I'd sure like to see these!

Thanks,

Craig

Comment

Working...
                  X