Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bob Bryant
    replied
    While in Florida I would walk through a marina frequently just to see what was happening. It was noticed that there were often marine mechanics working on carburetors and fuel systems of two and four cycle engines. I asked the manager about the frequent servicing and he said it was because of ethanol. The heat and humidity and for some boats prolonged storage between seasons sets up owners for problems. The manager said that the mechanics love ethanol as it has provided a big boost in the need for their services.

Leave a comment:

• Kurt
    replied
    Originally posted by deco_droid View Post
    Is it spring yet? I was curious about which Sta-bil to use as well...
    I use the stabil product, and the Lucas product for ethanol fuel both. I used the stabil in my 66 commander and my John Deere lawnmower. I used the Lucas product in my51 commander, and my weed eater. Both worked as advertised. The Lucas product was better in my opinion though as the 51 and the weed eater started right up this spring. The 66 and the JD were a bit slower starting and the old fuel had a strange smell as it was being burnt. I forgot to treat my old tractor, and as such have had the carb off twice trying ot make it run decent.....

Leave a comment:

• 63 R2 Hawk
    replied
    I resolved the E-XX issue by fueling up with clear, non-E fuel whenever possible and not storing my car with any E-XX fuel for any period. I try to drive my car several times every month, summer and winter and if I am going to let it sit for any length of time, I store it with pure 100LL av gas which does not deteriorate or corrode. My R2 Hawk and I really like the stuff. Yes, 100LL is expensive but a lot cheaper than fuel pumps, fuel lines and carburetor repairs and a little lead now and then is good for her diet. When I am driving long distances, I try to fill up with premium fuels when available. SO FAR I haven't had any fuel related issues that I'm aware of. I had my tank sending unit out this past winter and examined the inside of the tank, it looks very clean and shiny.

Leave a comment:

• deco_droid
    replied
    Originally posted by Kurt View Post
    Yep that's the one. Don't know if it is any better.... I will tell you next spring
    Is it spring yet? I was curious about which Sta-bil to use as well...

Leave a comment:

• DEEPNHOCK
    replied
    Stated many times in earlier ZDDP threads...
    20W50 racing oil was exempted from the ZDDP removal laws.

I have been thinking about switching to this. It is about a dollar a quart cheaper than VR1. Yeah I am a CASO!

Leave a comment:

• okc63avanti
    replied
    I have been thinking about switching to this. It is about a dollar a quart cheaper than VR1. Yeah I am a CASO!
    ZDDP levels in this oil are much less than Valvoline VR-1 and other oils like Brad Penn, Classic Car and others.

Leave a comment:

• jts359
    replied
    Hi As a boat owner and classic car owner I read about these debates all over , One of the best articles I"ve read recently is in this months Boat US magazine , Its called Three Ethanol myths clarified , Interesting reading , Ed

Leave a comment:

• Bob Andrews
    replied
    Latest article with a little more info:

http://www.historicvehicle.org/Lates...ives-Follow-Up

Leave a comment:

• Kurt
    replied
    Originally posted by 2R5 View Post
    Stu , heres what the container looks like .

No it is not synthetic . I buy it locally here from a garage that carrys it mainly for us old car guys. Comes 12 in a case .

Leave a comment:

• Kurt
    replied
    Originally posted by 53k View Post
    Are you talking about the Marine Formula Stabil? On the bottle it claims to be formulated for ethanol fuel. I bought a quart last time I bought Stabil- twice the price, but use half as much as the regular formula.
    Yep that's the one. Don't know if it is any better.... I will tell you next spring

Leave a comment:

• 2R5
    replied
    Stu , heres what the container looks like .

No it is not synthetic . I buy it locally here from a garage that carrys it mainly for us old car guys. Comes 12 in a case .

Leave a comment:

• Stu Chapman
    replied
    Originally posted by 2R5 View Post
    Stu , I've been using Kendall GT-1 racing oil 20W-50 for about 4 years now , it has zinc added in already so you need not buy an additive.
    Forgive my lack of knowledge but is the Kendall a synthetic oil and where do you get it?
    Stu Chapman

Leave a comment:

• 2R5
    replied
    Stu , I've been using Kendall GT-1 racing oil 20W-50 for about 4 years now , it has zinc added in already so you need not buy an additive.

Leave a comment:

• Stu Chapman
    replied
    Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
    I don't have an e-mail addy for Ron, but you can contact him through Daytona Parts Company. Just google it and get the info from the Home Page, Stu. BP
    Bob, after reading all of the posts here, I have come to the conclusion that Sta-Bil should be added to a FULL tank of gas for winter storage. Do you agree? Also, our 64 Daytona convertible has had synthetic oil in it for some time. It should be changed next Spring before the car is back on the road. My question is...what should I be using, 5W30, 10W40 or what? I don't know what grade is in it at the moment. Should I use ZDDP as well? The car runs very well on E10.
    Stu Chapman

Leave a comment:

• Bob Bryant
    replied
    An article I read said that the Marine Sta-Bil was even more effective than the standard Sta-Bil product. Another source (HMVA) had high praises for Schaeffer's #131 Soy Ultra Gasoline Additive. Using the website I couldn't find any local sources for the product. Maybe the soybeans are an antidote for the corn! The local NAPA surprises me with what they can find in the backroom and I intend to ask if they have it or can obtain it. A batch quantity is not needed.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X