No announcement yet.

Excellent Info RE: E-10 fuel & additive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just fueled up all three of my fun cars to get them ready for their winter nap! Sta-Bil in all of them plus the run to the gas station.
    Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Bob...we spend some time in the winter in the New Smyrna area and I would like to meet your friend Ron Hewitt. Do you have an email address for him?
      Stu Chapman

Comment

Thanks for the responses. After reading about the separation that can occur with E10 which can cause water in the bottom of the tank I wasn't sure. Concerned that maybe smaller amount of gas might be the lesser of two evils.
        "Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional." author unknown

Comment

I fired up my 59 yesturday, It has not run for a few months, and not a regular driver for a few years now. as soon as the electric pump turned on, several fuel lines sprouted leaks.

The hoses are only a few years old. That is my first problem with the stuff so far.

Side note: I had a car with sta bil in the tank for over 5 years and the gas was not the best it could be, but the car RAN on it just fine.

Side note# 2: Shop around for ZDDP next time Bob!

Comment

Originally posted by (S) View Post
            I fired up my 59 yesturday, It has not run for a few months, and not a regular driver for a few years now. as soon as the electric pump turned on, several fuel lines sprouted leaks. The hoses are only a few years old. That is my first problem with the stuff so far.
            Side note: I had a car with sta bil in the tank for over 5 years and the gas was not the best it could be, but the car RAN on it just fine.
            Side note# 2: Shop around for ZDDP next time Bob!
            There are so many "Bob's" on the forum I am not sure if Side note #2 was for me or not. (S) may be a Bob , also. I have addressed the ZDDP issue with Valvoline Racing Oil (silver container), as it contains an appropriate amount of the magic potion! The idea of being able to add a quart of oil without being concerned about adjusting the ZDDP ratio was attractive to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Stu Chapman View Post
              Bob...we spend some time in the winter in the New Smyrna area and I would like to meet your friend Ron Hewitt. Do you have an email address for him?
              Stu Chapman
              This message was for Bob Palma. Can you provide an email address?
              Stu Chapman

Comment

Originally posted by Stu Chapman View Post
                This message was for Bob Palma. Can you provide an email address?
                Stu Chapman
                I don't have an e-mail addy for Ron, but you can contact him through Daytona Parts Company. Just google it and get the info from the Home Page, Stu. BP
                We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
                "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Stabil has a product out that is specifically for ethanol blended fuel. I am using it for the first time this fall when I put the cars,tractors,lawnmower, and weed eater to bed. Regular Stabil made quite a difference, hopefully this product will be better.

On the ethanol debate, we have had it for 20 plus years in Illinois. The biggest problem I have seen with it is sitting. In Illinois we typically have high humidity. We also tend to have foggy days in wintertime, so this makes the whole gas collecting moisture thing even worse. Rusted beyond repair fuel tanks have been my biggest issue through the years. A close second would be needle and seat issues on carburetors. Once repaired though, fuel stabilizers, and keeping tanks full of fuel has helped a bunch.
                  1962 Champ

51 Commander 4 door

Comment

Originally posted by Kurt View Post
                    Stabil has a product out that is specifically for ethanol blended fuel. I am using it for the first time this fall when I put the cars,tractors,lawnmower, and weed eater to bed. Regular Stabil made quite a difference, hopefully this product will be better.

On the ethanol debate, we have had it for 20 plus years in Illinois. The biggest problem I have seen with it is sitting. In Illinois we typically have high humidity. We also tend to have foggy days in wintertime, so this makes the whole gas collecting moisture thing even worse. Rusted beyond repair fuel tanks have been my biggest issue through the years. A close second would be needle and seat issues on carburetors. Once repaired though, fuel stabilizers, and keeping tanks full of fuel has helped a bunch.
                    Are you talking about the Marine Formula Stabil? On the bottle it claims to be formulated for ethanol fuel. I bought a quart last time I bought Stabil- twice the price, but use half as much as the regular formula.
                    Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                    '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

An article I read said that the Marine Sta-Bil was even more effective than the standard Sta-Bil product. Another source (HMVA) had high praises for Schaeffer's #131 Soy Ultra Gasoline Additive. Using the website I couldn't find any local sources for the product. Maybe the soybeans are an antidote for the corn! The local NAPA surprises me with what they can find in the backroom and I intend to ask if they have it or can obtain it. A batch quantity is not needed.

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                        I don't have an e-mail addy for Ron, but you can contact him through Daytona Parts Company. Just google it and get the info from the Home Page, Stu. BP
                        Bob, after reading all of the posts here, I have come to the conclusion that Sta-Bil should be added to a FULL tank of gas for winter storage. Do you agree? Also, our 64 Daytona convertible has had synthetic oil in it for some time. It should be changed next Spring before the car is back on the road. My question is...what should I be using, 5W30, 10W40 or what? I don't know what grade is in it at the moment. Should I use ZDDP as well? The car runs very well on E10.
                        Stu Chapman

Comment

Stu , I've been using Kendall GT-1 racing oil 20W-50 for about 4 years now , it has zinc added in already so you need not buy an additive.
                          sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Originally posted by 2R5 View Post
                            Stu , I've been using Kendall GT-1 racing oil 20W-50 for about 4 years now , it has zinc added in already so you need not buy an additive.
                            Forgive my lack of knowledge but is the Kendall a synthetic oil and where do you get it?
                            Stu Chapman

Comment

Stu , heres what the container looks like .

No it is not synthetic . I buy it locally here from a garage that carrys it mainly for us old car guys. Comes 12 in a case .
                              sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Originally posted by 53k View Post
                                Are you talking about the Marine Formula Stabil? On the bottle it claims to be formulated for ethanol fuel. I bought a quart last time I bought Stabil- twice the price, but use half as much as the regular formula.
                                Yep that's the one. Don't know if it is any better.... I will tell you next spring
                                1962 Champ

51 Commander 4 door

Comment

Working...
                                X