Speedster on ebay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kdancy View Post
    You don't know him or me so quit making assumptions as if you do. I never bid on a car until the last day, why should I ? It was my call to make and I don't play games with some one else's money. When I didn't get a timely answer from the seller (actually none at all) I moved on. Communication means a lot to me on a big ticket item, but there are plenty of other cars out there and I doubt we will have a problem finding him a different one to go with the others in his collection.
    If a person has a car on auction, why would he divulge the reserve. It seems to me there would be no reason to have a reserve if you was going to tell anyone where it was set. I've never auctioned a car and I was just wondering.
    Jerry Forrester
    Forrester's Chrome
    Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Forrester View Post
      If a person has a car on auction, why would he divulge the reserve. It seems to me there would be no reason to have a reserve if you was going to tell anyone where it was set. I've never auctioned a car and I was just wondering.
      Some bidders will place say a 100K bid just to find the reserve than retract their bid. I got wise to that maneuver and just add them to my blocked bidder list. If one bidder knows your reserve, he has a big advantage over the other bidders.
      JDP Maryland

Comment

Please explain how one would have a big advantage by knowing the reserve.

Comment

Originally posted by LStratton View Post
          Please explain how one would have a big advantage by knowing the reserve.
          Say you knew the reserve was $28K, you could just wait until the last few seconds and bid 28K, make reserve and not fear being in a real auction. If we had a 28K reserve on the Speedster for example and shared the reserve we might have a half dozen bids in the last ten seconds within a few dollars of that figure and lost over 6K in bids. It also would encourage bidders to try and bypass ebay on cars with a extremely low reserves. If I found a nice GT Hawk had a 2K reserve, you can guess that I'd offer double that to sell me the car and end the auction early before it received enough bids to make the reserve.
          As others have noted, I've never heard of a auction where the reserve is shared with just some of the bidders.
          JDP Maryland

Comment

JDP, you are a patient man. People are still badgering you for explanations, even now that the car is sold.

Originally posted by JDP View Post
            It's against ebay rules to disclose the reserve since it gives a big advantage to the bidder that knows it. They consider it like "inside trading"
            My experience with Ebay works like this: If a Buyer is motivated, make your top bid then shut up and wait to see if it’s enough. Sometimes you win, sometimes you don’t. Please stop pestering JDP, he only put together this great ad for Jeff’s sister. A job well done.

Comment

Originally posted by studefan View Post
              KDancy, I was simply commenting on the your concerns about not being told the reserve before the auction ended and therefore you didn't place a bid. My only point is that most serious bidders bid without knowing the reserve price. That's the way it's suppose to work on ebay and most other auctions. Like you, I also wait until the last day to bid. I think that's a good strategy.
              No hard feelings on my part, I just made a simple statement about the auction and complete lack of communication when asking a question after it first posted on Ebay. Another bidder would have been added on the last day if the facts were known. Doesn't guaranty he would have won the action but the selling price would have been higher for sure.
              If the buyer wants more than I am willing to spend, why waste my or his time with me bidding ? Move on to something else. Nothing strange for a buyer to give his reserve when asked, in my experience it is the exception not to give it when I've asked sellers. In my opinion the auction should start at that price anyway. Why bid early and just push the auction price up for the next guy? It's one thing to do it at a live auction that takes a few minutes of time, quite different on an on line auction that can take up to 9 days. In this case, I needed to let the potential buyer know that the reserve was in his budget. If not, no sweat, just move on and don't waste time like I am doing on this thread!---------
              Last edited by Kdancy; 09-06-2011, 01:33 PM.
              64 Champ long bed V8
              55/53 Studebaker President S/R
              53 Hudson Super Wasp Coupe

Comment

Working...
              X