Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JDP
    replied
    I did my Golden Hawk for 22K total. I farmed out the paint, chrome and interior (about 10K there) but did the rest myself. If I paid myself $50-$75 a hour it could have been 45K.

JDP/Maryland

63 GT R2
    63 Avanti R1
    63 Daytona convert
    63 Lark 2 door
    62 Lark 2 door
    60 Lark HT-60Hawk
    59 3E truck
    58 Starlight
    52 & 53 Starliner
    51 Commander

Leave a comment:

• JDP
    replied
    I did my Golden Hawk for 22K total. I farmed out the paint, chrome and interior (about 10K there) but did the rest myself. If I paid myself $50-$75 a hour it could have been 45K.

JDP/Maryland

63 GT R2
    63 Avanti R1
    63 Daytona convert
    63 Lark 2 door
    62 Lark 2 door
    60 Lark HT-60Hawk
    59 3E truck
    58 Starlight
    52 & 53 Starliner
    51 Commander

Leave a comment:

• jbwhttail
    replied
    The real problem is how to deal with Studebaker pricing today. Some want the pricing to remain low and this "orphan" to be affordable as a driver. Then we have the "investor/broker" who wants to buy low and sell high.

I'll say up front you can't begin to do a "quality job" on a Golden Hawk for under 45K. Pick them apart if you wish, but as long as you do you continue to depreciate the Studebaker you own.

Look at JDP, (and I'm not picking on JDP) he finds a good car and presents it in a posititve position. The car brings more than most of us believe is possible. It is not about a "book value" it is curb appeal.........

Cars sell at what "market value" is, if you pay more than that .......shame on you.......

Last time I do this,I promise

Leave a comment:

• jbwhttail
    replied
    The real problem is how to deal with Studebaker pricing today. Some want the pricing to remain low and this "orphan" to be affordable as a driver. Then we have the "investor/broker" who wants to buy low and sell high.

I'll say up front you can't begin to do a "quality job" on a Golden Hawk for under 45K. Pick them apart if you wish, but as long as you do you continue to depreciate the Studebaker you own.

Look at JDP, (and I'm not picking on JDP) he finds a good car and presents it in a posititve position. The car brings more than most of us believe is possible. It is not about a "book value" it is curb appeal.........

Cars sell at what "market value" is, if you pay more than that .......shame on you.......

Last time I do this,I promise

Leave a comment:

• 41 Frank
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by Green53

I looked at this car at BJ. It was nice but we said at the time it would get beat up in SDC judging. Several none authentic things done to it. I don't understand why these high dollar restorers don't do their homework before building the car.
    Denny L
    Ditto here,saw it with green53 and noticed someone had cut the dash and overlay and added a gage down low just to the right of the steering column u-shaped part of dash, don't remember what sort of gage it was. To me it looked like a #2 1/2 to a #3 car.

Leave a comment:

• 41 Frank
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by Green53

I looked at this car at BJ. It was nice but we said at the time it would get beat up in SDC judging. Several none authentic things done to it. I don't understand why these high dollar restorers don't do their homework before building the car.
    Denny L
    Ditto here,saw it with green53 and noticed someone had cut the dash and overlay and added a gage down low just to the right of the steering column u-shaped part of dash, don't remember what sort of gage it was. To me it looked like a #2 1/2 to a #3 car.

Leave a comment:

• studegary
    replied
    I looked at an excellent V-8 Studebaker at a Hershey Meet. I complemented the owner about the car and stated that I only saw one not authentic item. She was surprised and asked what. I said that three of the radiator hose clamps should be spring type and the other (lower, engine end) should be flat steel. She said that they knew that but the AACA judges would dock them if the clamps aren't all the same style.

Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)

Leave a comment:

• studegary
    replied
    I looked at an excellent V-8 Studebaker at a Hershey Meet. I complemented the owner about the car and stated that I only saw one not authentic item. She was surprised and asked what. I said that three of the radiator hose clamps should be spring type and the other (lower, engine end) should be flat steel. She said that they knew that but the AACA judges would dock them if the clamps aren't all the same style.

Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)

Leave a comment:

• lstude
    replied
    Where did they get those whitewalls? The look way too narrow, almost like the ones that Studebaker used on 63 Larks

Leonard Shepherd
    http://leonardshepherd.com/

Leave a comment:

• lstude
    replied
    Where did they get those whitewalls? The look way too narrow, almost like the ones that Studebaker used on 63 Larks

Leonard Shepherd
    http://leonardshepherd.com/

Leave a comment:

• Green 53
    replied
    Denny L

Leave a comment:

• Green 53
    replied
    Denny L

Leave a comment:

• JDP
    replied
    The guy sure loves his decals, one of many things incorrect on the car. I recall when I sold my show Golden Hawk for 26K years back, a few News Groupers suggested it was a "fake bidding", and it was a much nicer car. Barrett Jackson is to ebay, what ebay is to typical Studebaker buyers, different levels of perceived value.

JDP/Maryland

63 GT R2
    63 Avanti R1
    63 Daytona convert
    63 Lark 2 door
    62 Lark 2 door
    60 Lark HT-60Hawk
    59 3E truck
    58 Starlight
    52 & 53 Starliner
    51 Commander

Leave a comment:

• JDP
    replied
    The guy sure loves his decals, one of many things incorrect on the car. I recall when I sold my show Golden Hawk for 26K years back, a few News Groupers suggested it was a "fake bidding", and it was a much nicer car. Barrett Jackson is to ebay, what ebay is to typical Studebaker buyers, different levels of perceived value.

JDP/Maryland

63 GT R2
    63 Avanti R1
    63 Daytona convert
    63 Lark 2 door
    62 Lark 2 door
    60 Lark HT-60Hawk
    59 3E truck
    58 Starlight
    52 & 53 Starliner
    51 Commander

Leave a comment: