Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '57 GH $56,100 @ Barrett-Jackson

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/carli..._LotNumber=640

The guy sure loves his decals, one of many things incorrect on the car. I recall when I sold my show Golden Hawk for 26K years back, a few News Groupers suggested it was a "fake bidding", and it was a much nicer car. Barrett Jackson is to ebay, what ebay is to typical Studebaker buyers, different levels of perceived value.

JDP/Maryland

63 GT R2
    63 Avanti R1
    63 Daytona convert
    63 Lark 2 door
    62 Lark 2 door
    60 Lark HT-60Hawk
    59 3E truck
    58 Starlight
    52 & 53 Starliner
    51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

The guy sure loves his decals, one of many things incorrect on the car. I recall when I sold my show Golden Hawk for 26K years back, a few News Groupers suggested it was a "fake bidding", and it was a much nicer car. Barrett Jackson is to ebay, what ebay is to typical Studebaker buyers, different levels of perceived value.

JDP/Maryland

63 GT R2
      63 Avanti R1
      63 Daytona convert
      63 Lark 2 door
      62 Lark 2 door
      60 Lark HT-60Hawk
      59 3E truck
      58 Starlight
      52 & 53 Starliner
      51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

I looked at this car at BJ. It was nice but we said at the time it would get beat up in SDC judging. Several none authentic things done to it. I don't understand why these high dollar restorers don't do their homework before building the car.
        Denny L

Comment

I looked at this car at BJ. It was nice but we said at the time it would get beat up in SDC judging. Several none authentic things done to it. I don't understand why these high dollar restorers don't do their homework before building the car.
          Denny L

Comment

Where did they get those whitewalls? The look way too narrow, almost like the ones that Studebaker used on 63 Larks

Leonard Shepherd
            http://leonardshepherd.com/

Comment

Where did they get those whitewalls? The look way too narrow, almost like the ones that Studebaker used on 63 Larks

Leonard Shepherd
              http://leonardshepherd.com/

Comment

I looked at an excellent V-8 Studebaker at a Hershey Meet. I complemented the owner about the car and stated that I only saw one not authentic item. She was surprised and asked what. I said that three of the radiator hose clamps should be spring type and the other (lower, engine end) should be flat steel. She said that they knew that but the AACA judges would dock them if the clamps aren't all the same style.

Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I looked at an excellent V-8 Studebaker at a Hershey Meet. I complemented the owner about the car and stated that I only saw one not authentic item. She was surprised and asked what. I said that three of the radiator hose clamps should be spring type and the other (lower, engine end) should be flat steel. She said that they knew that but the AACA judges would dock them if the clamps aren't all the same style.

Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                  Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Green53

Denny L
                    Ditto here,saw it with green53 and noticed someone had cut the dash and overlay and added a gage down low just to the right of the steering column u-shaped part of dash, don't remember what sort of gage it was. To me it looked like a #2 1/2 to a #3 car.
                    Frank van Doorn
                    Omaha, Ne.
                    1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
                    1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
                    1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Green53

Denny L
                      Ditto here,saw it with green53 and noticed someone had cut the dash and overlay and added a gage down low just to the right of the steering column u-shaped part of dash, don't remember what sort of gage it was. To me it looked like a #2 1/2 to a #3 car.
                      Frank van Doorn
                      Omaha, Ne.
                      1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
                      1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
                      1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

The real problem is how to deal with Studebaker pricing today. Some want the pricing to remain low and this "orphan" to be affordable as a driver. Then we have the "investor/broker" who wants to buy low and sell high.

I'll say up front you can't begin to do a "quality job" on a Golden Hawk for under 45K. Pick them apart if you wish, but as long as you do you continue to depreciate the Studebaker you own.

Look at JDP, (and I'm not picking on JDP) he finds a good car and presents it in a posititve position. The car brings more than most of us believe is possible. It is not about a "book value" it is curb appeal.........

Cars sell at what "market value" is, if you pay more than that .......shame on you.......

Last time I do this,I promise
                        It is an addiction!

Comment

The real problem is how to deal with Studebaker pricing today. Some want the pricing to remain low and this "orphan" to be affordable as a driver. Then we have the "investor/broker" who wants to buy low and sell high.

I'll say up front you can't begin to do a "quality job" on a Golden Hawk for under 45K. Pick them apart if you wish, but as long as you do you continue to depreciate the Studebaker you own.

Look at JDP, (and I'm not picking on JDP) he finds a good car and presents it in a posititve position. The car brings more than most of us believe is possible. It is not about a "book value" it is curb appeal.........

Cars sell at what "market value" is, if you pay more than that .......shame on you.......

Last time I do this,I promise
                          It is an addiction!

Comment

I did my Golden Hawk for 22K total. I farmed out the paint, chrome and interior (about 10K there) but did the rest myself. If I paid myself $50-$75 a hour it could have been 45K.

JDP/Maryland

63 GT R2
                            63 Avanti R1
                            63 Daytona convert
                            63 Lark 2 door
                            62 Lark 2 door
                            60 Lark HT-60Hawk
                            59 3E truck
                            58 Starlight
                            52 & 53 Starliner
                            51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

I did my Golden Hawk for 22K total. I farmed out the paint, chrome and interior (about 10K there) but did the rest myself. If I paid myself $50-$75 a hour it could have been 45K.

JDP/Maryland

63 GT R2
                              63 Avanti R1
                              63 Daytona convert
                              63 Lark 2 door
                              62 Lark 2 door
                              60 Lark HT-60Hawk
                              59 3E truck
                              58 Starlight
                              52 & 53 Starliner
                              51 Commander

JDP Maryland