Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2R pickup vin question?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 2R pickup vin question?

    So I have a 2R pickup but the title has the number 1r1xxxxx. From my research that doesnt jive with what should be there. Does any one know what's up? I'm thinking it might be a rebuilt vin/title from Arkansas but that's kind of a theory... Thanks all from a studebaker newbie.

  • #2
    Sometimes the older vehicles used the engine serial number to I.D. the vehicles. My 50 Commander uses the engine I.D. for its I.D and my 53 2R5 uses the body I.D. I don't know what makes the DMV use one over the other. Below are beginning serial numbers.
    1R-001 1949/1953 2R series Commercial 170"
    1R-149,001 1954 3R Series Commercial 170"
    I got these engine i.d numbers from the Studebaker Drivers Club website.
    Last edited by kodiak621; 08-22-2011, 09:01 PM.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by schnellstudebaker View Post
      So I have a 2R pickup but the title has the number 1r1xxxxx. From my research that doesnt jive with what should be there. Does any one know what's up? I'm thinking it might be a rebuilt vin/title from Arkansas but that's kind of a theory... Thanks all from a studebaker newbie.


      A few months back I recreated the serial plate for the R series trucks using an original I had. I had intended on having a replica done in aluminum like the original but never followed thru on it. If anyone would like to follow up on it I can forward the graphics and a source for getting them done.
      Richard Quinn
      Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by schnellstudebaker View Post
        So I have a 2R pickup but the title has the number 1r1xxxxx. From my research that doesnt jive with what should be there. Does any one know what's up? I'm thinking it might be a rebuilt vin/title from Arkansas but that's kind of a theory... Thanks all from a studebaker newbie.
        Welcome!
        Many states used the engine number for an identification number for title/registrtion purposes in the 1940s-1950s.
        I believe that the number that you posted is the engine number of your pickup.
        If your pickup no longer has the original engine, you may need to change the identification number over to the Serial Number. A factory build sheet is a big help in doing this.
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

        SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

        Comment


        • #5
          Studebaker Wheel, I tried to PM you, looks like your box is full.
          Any chance you may know where to get one of these? Thanks for any help.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by bkz81 View Post
            Studebaker Wheel, I tried to PM you, looks like your box is full.
            Any chance you may know where to get one of these? Thanks for any help.
            Do you NOT have this Serial Number Plate already on your truck Cab?

            If you do not, and want someone to make one of these for you, it would still require a copy of the Production Order from the Studebaker National Museum to prove your Title Engine Number, matches your original Engine number for the Truck's Serial Number.

            Unfortunately you need the original Truck Serial Number to do ANYTHING.

            The reason Richard Quinn is asking if someone wants to make these is, NO ONE does.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by bkz81 View Post
              Studebaker Wheel, I tried to PM you, looks like your box is full.
              Any chance you may know where to get one of these? Thanks for any help.
              I just emptied my Private Messages so it should now work. I recently sold the original serial plate I had so have none left. Still have the graphics for the reproduction shown in my post of 8-23-11.
              Richard Quinn
              Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel View Post
                I just emptied my Private Messages so it should now work. I recently sold the original serial plate I had so have none left. Still have the graphics for the reproduction shown in my post of 8-23-11.
                Ok thanks, still have my original, but it looks a little rough.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by bkz81 View Post
                  Ok thanks, still have my original, but it looks a little rough.
                  Your truck's production order, from the SNM, will correlate your engine number with your Serial Number. This can be used to make the change at the DMV.
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

                  SDC member since 1968
                  Studebaker enthusiast much longer

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by studegary View Post
                    Your truck's production order, from the SNM, will correlate your engine number with your Serial Number. This can be used to make the change at the DMV.
                    The engine has no serial number whatsoever, over the years I've been told that it was a factory replacement. Nothing on the pad near the filler tube, not even a clover leaf. The CHP was fine with me making a new matching tag and spot welding it back on though.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Good luck getting that number crossed! unless the museum folks have developed a spreadsheet for cross-reference, it's gonna get expensive I think..
                      My 2R5 is the same way from Oklahoma....

                      Originally posted by studegary View Post
                      Welcome!
                      Many states used the engine number for an identification number for title/registrtion purposes in the 1940s-1950s.
                      I believe that the number that you posted is the engine number of your pickup.
                      If your pickup no longer has the original engine, you may need to change the identification number over to the Serial Number. A factory build sheet is a big help in doing this.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Mrs K Corbin View Post
                        Good luck getting that number crossed! unless the museum folks have developed a spreadsheet for cross-reference, it's gonna get expensive I think..
                        My 2R5 is the same way from Oklahoma....
                        It already has a number on it as well as the title, I was just trying to find a new manufacturers plate.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          What I was getting at was the OP's statement of the title has the vin of the engine ser#. There's no way to cross the engine ser# back to the Cab Ser# without hours of research.

                          Comment


                          • #14


                            I believe I have some of these.
                            I will check tomorrow.

                            Robert Kapteyn

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I found this thread interesting as I thought the plates of Studebakers were made from mild steel, but reading this I was mistaken
                              Richard
                              sigpic

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X