Wow, a $70,000 53 Champion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

quote:Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp

My Starliner is going up for sale. I've owned it about 12 years now...it's been on the road maybe 7 of these. This is longer than I've owned any car, and I'm overdue for a change . I'm not sure yet what I'll replace it with, but I'm sure I'll think of something fun!
    Dick, you can't sell that car! That's like the Lone Ranger selling Silver, or Batman selling the Batmobile .

That, and I don't have an extra $45K yet. Wait 'til next year!!! [B)]

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Tom - Valrico, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
    1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp

My Starliner is going up for sale. I've owned it about 12 years now...it's been on the road maybe 7 of these. This is longer than I've owned any car, and I'm overdue for a change . I'm not sure yet what I'll replace it with, but I'm sure I'll think of something fun!
      Dick, you can't sell that car! That's like the Lone Ranger selling Silver, or Batman selling the Batmobile .

That, and I don't have an extra $45K yet. Wait 'til next year!!! [B)]

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Tom - Valrico, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona

Tom - Bradenton, FL

Comment

That $70,00.00 Champion would look like it could actually be driven instead of put up on a pedestal at a rod & custom show, if you could at least see the top of the wheels!

Lowered sometimes looks OK on the right car, but on the ground does NOT! [xx(][xx(] That is just plain UGLY!

StudeRich
        Studebakers Northwest
        Ferndale, WA
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

That $70,00.00 Champion would look like it could actually be driven instead of put up on a pedestal at a rod & custom show, if you could at least see the top of the wheels!

Lowered sometimes looks OK on the right car, but on the ground does NOT! [xx(][xx(] That is just plain UGLY!

StudeRich
          Studebakers Northwest
          Ferndale, WA
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Those cars lowered to the ground have air suspensions. When you start the car, the air springs fill and it lifts to regular ride height. I personally would drop the car, even with the air springs. I think it looks plain goofy.

Tom - Valrico, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona

Tom - Bradenton, FL

Comment

Those cars lowered to the ground have air suspensions. When you start the car, the air springs fill and it lifts to regular ride height. I personally would drop the car, even with the air springs. I think it looks plain goofy.

Tom - Valrico, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona

Tom - Bradenton, FL

Comment

Wow, this really makes me feel great about the 30K I have invested in restoring my 1954 Commander Regal Coupe. I wonder maybe I should put it on ebay?????NOT...

Domenic Manera
                1954 Regal Starlight Coupe
                Domenic Manera, Fire Chief
                City of York Fire Department
                York, SC 29745

Comment

Wow, this really makes me feel great about the 30K I have invested in restoring my 1954 Commander Regal Coupe. I wonder maybe I should put it on ebay?????NOT...

Domenic Manera
                  Domenic Manera, Fire Chief
                  City of York Fire Department
                  York, SC 29745

Comment

It looks to me like the A/C pulley does not line up with the water pump pulley. When I see things like this, I worry about other build issues.

This appears to be a nice body and a generally well done car.

I like the Starliner body, for looks, much better than a Starlight body. The Starliner was the way that Bob Bourke intended and the way his own car was.

I see this car is now up to $70K. My modified Starliner wasn't as nice, but it did have a new custom interior, not a Hawk interior. I sold mine last year for $14,500. It didn't have a new frame or air suspension, but it did have 350/350/Mustang II/etc. It is hard to compare, but you are talking almost five times as much money. I guess that some people just want the best, no matter the price.

With some of these prices, maybe someone will give me $15K for my modified 1959 pickup. It is a solid NV/TX body with 350/THM/Trans AM subframe/disc/ps/Air cond./buckets/etc. You can see it and some description at www.classiccarmall.net.

Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

It looks to me like the A/C pulley does not line up with the water pump pulley. When I see things like this, I worry about other build issues.

This appears to be a nice body and a generally well done car.

I like the Starliner body, for looks, much better than a Starlight body. The Starliner was the way that Bob Bourke intended and the way his own car was.

I see this car is now up to $70K. My modified Starliner wasn't as nice, but it did have a new custom interior, not a Hawk interior. I sold mine last year for $14,500. It didn't have a new frame or air suspension, but it did have 350/350/Mustang II/etc. It is hard to compare, but you are talking almost five times as much money. I guess that some people just want the best, no matter the price.

With some of these prices, maybe someone will give me $15K for my modified 1959 pickup. It is a solid NV/TX body with 350/THM/Trans AM subframe/disc/ps/Air cond./buckets/etc. You can see it and some description at www.classiccarmall.net.

Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
                      Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Dick, I predict your 53 will not sell in South Bend's the limited and frugal Studebaker market. Ebay is another matter.

JDP/Maryland

63 GT R2
                        63 Avanti R1
                        63 Daytona convert
                        63 Lark 2 door
                        62 Lark 2 door
                        60 Lark HT-60Hawk
                        59 3E truck
                        58 Starlight
                        52 & 53 Starliner
                        51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

Dick, I predict your 53 will not sell in South Bend's the limited and frugal Studebaker market. Ebay is another matter.

JDP/Maryland

63 GT R2
                          63 Avanti R1
                          63 Daytona convert
                          63 Lark 2 door
                          62 Lark 2 door
                          60 Lark HT-60Hawk
                          59 3E truck
                          58 Starlight
                          52 & 53 Starliner
                          51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

quote:Originally posted by JDP

You're absolutely right, John. That car will go to a non-Studebaker person for sure...but then I was a non-Studebaker person before I built that one .

The '63 MAY go to a Studebaker person, but the odds are against that also. It's every bit as nice as a $50,000 '63 Chevy Impala SS 4 speed for half the money and it will most likely take a non-Studebaker person to appreciate the value.

Dick Steinkamp
                            Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by JDP

You're absolutely right, John. That car will go to a non-Studebaker person for sure...but then I was a non-Studebaker person before I built that one .

The '63 MAY go to a Studebaker person, but the odds are against that also. It's every bit as nice as a $50,000 '63 Chevy Impala SS 4 speed for half the money and it will most likely take a non-Studebaker person to appreciate the value.

Dick Steinkamp
                              Bellingham, WA

Comment

Working...
                              X