X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wow, a $70,000 53 Champion

Looks like it's going to sell.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Stude...17729908QQrdZ1

Good news for Dick Steinkamp! I think his looks better.

Leonard Shepherd
    http://leonardshepherd.com/

Comment

Leonard Shepherd
      http://leonardshepherd.com/

Comment

quote:Originally posted by lstude

I agree. I think Dick's looks a lot better.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Tom - Valrico, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
        1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

quote:Originally posted by lstude

I agree. I think Dick's looks a lot better.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Tom - Valrico, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
          1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Thanks Len and Tom, but that Starlight IS one beautiful car []. I'm sure he has well over $70k into it.

My Starliner is going up for sale. I've owned it about 12 years now...it's been on the road maybe 7 of these. This is longer than I've owned any car, and I'm overdue for a change . I'm not sure yet what I'll replace it with, but I'm sure I'll think of something fun!

Like the eBay car, it is built on a low mileage (35,000), always California (built in Vernon), always rust free original. It even had the original blue over yellow paint on it when I bought it. It is different from the eBay car in that it is a 60's style resto rod. If you need the "fluffy" stuff (a/c, power steering, power windows, Mustang II front end, etc) this is not the car for you. Perfect black paint, perfect all leather interior, completely sorted and a blast to drive. Grand National Roadster Show, one of Rod and Custom's 100 best cars, top 20 award on Americruise, TW cover car, twice selected for a GoodGuys "pick", etc. $45k. I'll have it at South Bend. If it doesn't sell there, it will go on eBay when I return.

I will also be selling the '63 Hawk.

This is a very special car. I'm sure there are nicer, but you'd have to look a long time to find one. It just took best in class at a major North West car show (first time out). Impecable pro base/clear paint. HIGHLY detailed. Runs and drives like new. 4 speed, PDB.

NADA lists a high retail one at $25,358

This is AT LEAST a high retail car. $23k. It will also go on eBay if it isn't sold by the time I get back from SB.

I'm no supposed to tell you what my eBay reserves will be, but here's a hint...you won't be able to buy either of these cars any cheaper when they are on eBay

Dick Steinkamp
            Bellingham, WA

Comment

Thanks Len and Tom, but that Starlight IS one beautiful car []. I'm sure he has well over $70k into it.

My Starliner is going up for sale. I've owned it about 12 years now...it's been on the road maybe 7 of these. This is longer than I've owned any car, and I'm overdue for a change . I'm not sure yet what I'll replace it with, but I'm sure I'll think of something fun!

Like the eBay car, it is built on a low mileage (35,000), always California (built in Vernon), always rust free original. It even had the original blue over yellow paint on it when I bought it. It is different from the eBay car in that it is a 60's style resto rod. If you need the "fluffy" stuff (a/c, power steering, power windows, Mustang II front end, etc) this is not the car for you. Perfect black paint, perfect all leather interior, completely sorted and a blast to drive. Grand National Roadster Show, one of Rod and Custom's 100 best cars, top 20 award on Americruise, TW cover car, twice selected for a GoodGuys "pick", etc. $45k. I'll have it at South Bend. If it doesn't sell there, it will go on eBay when I return.

I will also be selling the '63 Hawk.

This is a very special car. I'm sure there are nicer, but you'd have to look a long time to find one. It just took best in class at a major North West car show (first time out). Impecable pro base/clear paint. HIGHLY detailed. Runs and drives like new. 4 speed, PDB.

NADA lists a high retail one at $25,358

This is AT LEAST a high retail car. $23k. It will also go on eBay if it isn't sold by the time I get back from SB.

I'm no supposed to tell you what my eBay reserves will be, but here's a hint...you won't be able to buy either of these cars any cheaper when they are on eBay

Dick Steinkamp
              Bellingham, WA

Comment

Dick, I'd take yours over the other one if they were side-by-side and someone gave me the choice of either one. Your's HAS to be the more roadable, maintainable car. The other one falls into my "Mines-bigger-'n-yours" catagory wherein EVERYTHING'S done to the percieved MAX, just to prove they could.
                When will someone like this guy or Foose do one and gold or platinum plate it just because??? It's the American way, I guess. Do it outrageous so you can have bragging rights. Not that there's anything wrong with that - it's just dumb to do something that goes beyond what a car's real mission is.[B)]

This $70K job... WHEN do you see these outside of some hot rod show??? What does that say about their driveability? Economy? Practicallity? "OH MY GOD! Don't even THINK of parking next to my $20K paint job!!!" What a pain.

Miscreant adrift in
                the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                1960 Larkvertible V8
                1958 Provincial wagon
                1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Dick, I'd take yours over the other one if they were side-by-side and someone gave me the choice of either one. Your's HAS to be the more roadable, maintainable car. The other one falls into my "Mines-bigger-'n-yours" catagory wherein EVERYTHING'S done to the percieved MAX, just to prove they could.
                  When will someone like this guy or Foose do one and gold or platinum plate it just because??? It's the American way, I guess. Do it outrageous so you can have bragging rights. Not that there's anything wrong with that - it's just dumb to do something that goes beyond what a car's real mission is.[B)]

This $70K job... WHEN do you see these outside of some hot rod show??? What does that say about their driveability? Economy? Practicallity? "OH MY GOD! Don't even THINK of parking next to my $20K paint job!!!" What a pain.

Miscreant adrift in
                  the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                  1960 Larkvertible V8
                  1958 Provincial wagon
                  1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

At least we should give the owner some credit in the "Hanging in there"
                    department....the bogus one was back on this morning....Hope this is
                    an honest sale that appears to be coming to an end today.

1964 Daytona
                    glen Brose
                    Tumbleweed Flats, AZ

Comment

At least we should give the owner some credit in the "Hanging in there"
                      department....the bogus one was back on this morning....Hope this is
                      an honest sale that appears to be coming to an end today.

1964 Daytona
                      glen Brose
                      Tumbleweed Flats, AZ

Comment

Greetings, All,

Very nice car, but nothing Champion left of it other than the body number plate. With a new frame, front and rear suspension, engine, transmission, the body is all remaining that is '53 Studebaker. Thus, IMHO, the final selling price has everything to do with upscale street rods and next to nothing to do with what the next restored '53 Champ will bring.

thnx, jv.

PackardV8
                        PackardV8

Comment

Greetings, All,

Very nice car, but nothing Champion left of it other than the body number plate. With a new frame, front and rear suspension, engine, transmission, the body is all remaining that is '53 Studebaker. Thus, IMHO, the final selling price has everything to do with upscale street rods and next to nothing to do with what the next restored '53 Champ will bring.

thnx, jv.

PackardV8
                          PackardV8

Comment

Sounds like he started with a nice car and made it nicer.

"This hot rod was built from a 46,000 mile rust free Southern Granny car and transformed into an award winning hot rod."
                            I have mixed emotions about the build, but I'm sure it's much more fun to drive with the new drive line and the car will sure get more attention. He did noting to harm the looks of the car and maybe in 50 years it could be made stock if values ever caught up.

JDP/Maryland

63 GT R2
                            63 Avanti R1
                            63 Daytona convert
                            63 Lark 2 door
                            62 Lark 2 door
                            60 Lark HT-60Hawk
                            59 3E truck
                            58 Starlight
                            52 & 53 Starliner
                            51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

Sounds like he started with a nice car and made it nicer.

"This hot rod was built from a 46,000 mile rust free Southern Granny car and transformed into an award winning hot rod."
                              I have mixed emotions about the build, but I'm sure it's much more fun to drive with the new drive line and the car will sure get more attention. He did noting to harm the looks of the car and maybe in 50 years it could be made stock if values ever caught up.

JDP/Maryland

63 GT R2
                              63 Avanti R1
                              63 Daytona convert
                              63 Lark 2 door
                              62 Lark 2 door
                              60 Lark HT-60Hawk
                              59 3E truck
                              58 Starlight
                              52 & 53 Starliner
                              51 Commander

JDP Maryland