Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who's Going: 2011 Pure Stock Muscle Car Drags?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who's Going: 2011 Pure Stock Muscle Car Drags?

Woo-Hoo! 'Less than a month to go before The 2011 Pure Stock Muscle Car Drag Race September 16 and 17, 2011 at The Mid-Michigan Motorplex NE of Stanton MI. 'Rumblings suggest an even larger turnout of Studebakers and StudeFans this year, including a re-invasion from points west such as Colorado and British Columbia. Cool beans.

In fact, we're projecting the largest confluence of Turning Wheels writers and editorial types since Springfield, attendees tentatively including yours truly, Editor Art Unger, Modified & Custom Corner Editor Brian Curtis, and Tailgating Writer Matthew Burnette.

Matthew has agreed to do some of the overall event reporting so I can better concentrate on reporting individual cars and drivers, and Art and Brian will be handling photography and such. The idea is to make the overall report/presentation in an early 2012 Turning Wheels "really special" for those who cannot attend.

SDCers Frank Remlinger (Dart) and Richard Poe (R1 Lark Custom) square off at the 2010 Pure Stock Drags:

Nonetheless, the event is best experienced in person, as will attest those who have attended. Roll call? BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Hey Bob, Duane Miller says I can co-pilot with him so plans at this moment is to be there or be square Been wanting to make it out there since the beginning and things are working out this year to be an enthusiastic spectator. GO STUDES!!!
    Tom
    sigpic

Comment

Bob , I bet there is going to be a good turn out this year . the hotel we stay at in Greensville is usually mostly empty ...it is full this year , unless there is something else going on.
      sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

I'm scrambling to get there. My signal light switch and carb springs arrived, today (thanks S.I.). The driveline shop was supposed to set the axel end play on the Dana 44, but the staff didn't show up this morning (Monday Flu?). I have a house and dog sitter lined up. My speedo just turned 80,001 (it was 77,654 when I dragged the car across the border four years ago). Karma owes me...I'm commin!
        Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

I will be there if I can get the old engine back in in time. The new engine just did not cut it.

Peter Sant
          KOOL R2

Comment

We are coming from Springfield MO, not bringing a car/pickup, just coming to watch. Hope there are lots are cars, good weather, and people. See you then. Dusty

Dusty Taylor

Comment

Will be there with bells on, this will be the 2nd time for me driving all the way from California and bring a 63 super lark hard top to Joliet and then on up to the races, picking up a 52 in Kansas City on my way back they shipping it to Australia, see every one there , be there or be square.
              Candbstudebakers
              Castro Valley,
              California

Comment

I plan on driving up on Saturday to watch the fun.

--george
                1963 Lark Daytona HT - 63V J8 175

Comment

George and I are still planning to go ,will probably have to do a second mortgage on my house to pay for the gas!
                  Steve
                  36 Dictator cpe
                  36 ST.regis custom 2dr sedan R-2
                  37 Coupe express R-2
                  50 Champion convert
                  54 champion cpe
                  59 3/4 p/up 4wd
                  63 Custom R-2
                  63 GT hawk R-2 Motor Trend Hawk/Chicago Show Car
                  63 Avanti R-2
                  63 Avant1 R-2
                  64 Commander R-1
                  64 Challenger R-3
                  58 Packard hawk
                  64 Champ
                  2-63 Wagonaire's
                  62 E40 Transtar
                  55 3/4 T pickup
                  64 Daytona
                  Brand X :
                  70 Duster 340,56 Chevy Del Ray,49 Jeepster,58 Plymouth Belvedere,67 IH Travelall,58 IH Golden Anniversary

http://www.studebakersteve.com

Comment

I'll be there with a 4.55 rear ratio in my Hawk. Just need to install it ,weld on some traction bar brackets and install the backing plates and brakes when we get back from our European vacation. Were in Prague, it's hotter than hell here, hotter than the weather we've experienced all summer in Southern Ontario. Happy to hear that Bob P. Matthew et al are making it as well. Hope you get that engine in Peter! Haven't booked a room yet either... Seems I am always flying by the seat of my pants.
                    Last edited by studebaker-R2-4-me; 08-23-2011, 11:01 AM.
                    1964 GT Hawk
                    PSMCDR 2014
                    Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
                    PSMCDR 2013
                    Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

Comment

I'm in. Won't be driving a Studebaker, but I'm proudly sportin' the team colors!
                      Frank Remlinger
                      Detroit, Michigan
                      SDC# A004602R

Comment

OH, I wish I could go.

One good thing, Bob, the cool cover picture of the four Larks is now the wallpaper on my computer monitor. Has been since you posted it

Now get me a shot of all those cars together in a group
                        Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                        Romans 15:13
                        Deuteronomy 31:6
                        Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Andrews View Post
                          OH, I wish I could go.

One good thing, Bob, the cool cover picture of the four Larks is now the wallpaper on my computer monitor. Has been since you posted it

Now get me a shot of all those cars together in a group
                          That will be the doin' of Art and Brian, Bob, if it's to happen. I've been running myself ragged the past couple years, trying to "do it all," and decided to solicit assistance this year to keep from getting burned out.

Art and Brian are better photographers than I am, so they'll be doing the bulk of the photography. Matthew will do an overview of the event.

This will allow me to concentrate more on individual reports of how each competitor is doing for those individual boxes of information in the overall Turning Wheels report of the entire event. I have not been able to get as far "into" each competitor's tweaking as I'd like recently because I've been spread too thin, so this will free up more of my time for more thorough coverage of individual competitors. BP
                          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

BP, Ted and all those who were there in 2001~ can you believe it's been TEN YEARS since Sweet Pea and I were there? I can't either. I think she enjoyed it as much much as I did!!!

But as much fun as I know this event to be, I won't be going.
                            It is great to know that Brian will be- as close as he lives to me-
                            it'll be that much easier to pester him about it on his return!!!!
                            StudeDave '57
                            US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                            SDC Member since 1985

past President
                            Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                            San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                            San Diego Chapter SDC
                            North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Allen , you may want to bring a sleeping bag....you may have to camp out in the back seat <g>
                              sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Working...
                              X