Restore/ Destroy/ Repeat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Restore/ Destroy/ Repeat

Very quickly (cause I thought about making this a long Freud type thing). Anyone besides me ever re-do a car only to be so completely happy with it that it no longer is a restoration, but now a daily driver to the point you ruin it only to restore it again? I did this twice to my Hawk which I have had since around 1979.

At this point, however, I will never even allow "The Hawk" to get wet. I have finally reached a point of enjoying owning it more than than I enjoy driving it. (OH BOY THAT SHOULD SET OFF SOME COMMENTS). Before you beat me up I have been member since 1983 so please hold all crap.

Along similar lines, our original intent was to simply restore our car nicely enough to make it a daily driver. After the restoration ($$$$) we now drive it sparingly under 55 mph and we have purchased a car hauler for future travels to car shows. As you can see, it turned out to be a show car. And we have no regrets.
    Tim-'53 Starlight Commander Custom in Yuma, AZ
    jimsrodshop.com/project/53-resurrection

Comment

If you own it long enough, you will start replacing parts you put on and repairing things you fixed before.

Some boys play with their toys, and some boys just show off their toys.

Both boys are happy with their toys.
      HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

I sold my Hawk last week for that very reason; too nice.. don't get it wet, worry about scratching it etc. Bought a 52 truck that I will re-do, except this time, I am determined to enjoy driving it and not worry about dings...
        Joe D.

Comment

I keep my GT as a really nice driver,looks good but has a few dings & scratches thay you won't see unless pointed out.I gave up along time ago spending $$$$$ to get a $ trophy that means nothing to me.I try to drive it as much as I can except long distances in the really hot weather (No A/C)& lousy MPG..
          I've seen cars with velvet ropes around them at shows & think what's the sense.If that turns the owner of many trophies on,so be it.

Comment

The 66 in my signature line is on it's second go around. It was a rust bucket that I used to learn how to ""restore" a car. I drove the wheels off of it. My son drove it in high school. It was then involved in an accident. Started to part it out. Decided not too. Two more parts cars later it's back on the road.
            1962 Champ

51 Commander 4 door

Comment

I wanted a driver to replace the car I drove 30 years ago. Came out like new! Now I have the thrill of what it must have been like driving a new Stude. It will still be a thrill 30,000 miles from now, and I'm getting the confidence that I could bring it back, again, when the time comes. I'm in the same mode jg61. People ask me if I bought it new!!! I would have been 2
              Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

As Jay Leno says, restore it to 100 points, drive it down to 40, then repeat. Sounds like the ideal to me. One of the reasons I'm a Leno fan

All cars are just metal, plastic, glass, etc. None of the materials ever die. So any car can be worn out and renewed indefinitely. Today most modern cars aren't traded by their original owners because they're worn out, it's because they got bored or another shiny thing caught their eye.

Especially with older cars, the challenge isn't restoring them all, it's finding folks with the interest/finances/attention span to see them through once, let alone multiple times.
                Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                Romans 15:13
                Deuteronomy 31:6
                Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Bob A. beat me to the Jay Leno restoration mentality.

My granddad has owned his '57 Silver Hawk since 1979 and has been through the car twice. In a few more years it'll need it a third time; he drives that one more than any other Stude.

Comment

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
                    If you own it long enough, you will start replacing parts you put on and repairing things you fixed before.

Some boys play with their toys, and some boys just show off their toys.

Both boys are happy with their toys.

Yup, what Jeff and others said, it's your car, enjoy it the way the gives you the most enjoyment.

I do subscribe to the Jay Leno philosophy myself. To each their own.

Pat
                    Pat Dilling
                    Olivehurst, CA
                    Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

I've got a pick up I've owned since '68 that's due for it's fourth re-do, and a '39 Harley I've owned since '80 I've done over twice. I baby them and show them when they're fresh. When they get a few dings and scratches I drive them and enjoy using them 'til they start to look shabby. Then do it again!
                      Dwight 54 Commander hardtop

Comment

I hav e a 62 GT Hawk, in the family since 1985 when I bought it out in California 80 something thousand on the odometer. In restoring it then, I installed a NOS speedo, with alll zeros on the odo. It now is on its third time around with the new speedo at 236,000 (not counting the original speedo). I de-did it at 100,000 on the new speedo in 1992, though when it came to drive drive train, I basically fiixed something that was not broke.
                        Recently with help from an older brother, I re-did it again. I have not touched the engine yet, but will eventually do so.

Driving Studes reminds me of riding the older Harleys. Nobody ever throws them away, and they don't wear out, if one keeps up with preventive & corrective maintenance.

Driver quality works for me. I have never had, nor would I want a show car for reasons others have mentioned here; if it were too nice I never would have driven it nearly as much.
                        Joe H

Comment

Originally posted by JoeHall View Post
                          I hav e a 62 GT Hawk, in the family since 1985 when I bought it out in California 80 something thousand on the odometer. In restoring it then, I installed a NOS speedo, with alll zeros on the odo. It now is on its third time around with the new speedo at 236,000 (not counting the original speedo). I de-did it at 100,000 on the new speedo in 1992, though when it came to drive drive train, I basically fiixed something that was not broke.
                          Recently with help from an older brother, I re-did it again. I have not touched the engine yet, but will eventually do so.

Driving Studes reminds me of riding the older Harleys. Nobody ever throws them away, and they don't wear out, if one keeps up with preventive & corrective maintenance.

Driver quality works for me. I have never had, nor would I want a show car for reasons others have mentioned here; if it were too nice I never would have driven it nearly as much.
                          Joe H

Restore it, flip it, repeat with another.
                          JDP Maryland

Comment

When it comes to flipping, my problem is getting sentimentally attached, especially as memories build over the years. Like my now 30 year old son, at one time could lay across the back seat with neither head nor foot touching sides. I have so mamy memories of long drives with him, and him climbing over the seat from front to back and visa-versa.
                            Joe H

Comment

While I've never had to do a full-on resto to any of my cars- yet- I have had a minor resto done to my '65 Cruiser a time or two over the (nearly) 20 years I have owned her. Unfortunately, after 300,000 miles, next time she'll have to go the full resto route...

but there are now more cars in my Fleet then I have time or cash!!!

look for a liquidation sale very soon...

StudeDave '57
                              US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                              SDC Member since 1985

past President
                              Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                              San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                              San Diego Chapter SDC
                              North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Working...