removing oil stains from driveway

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• removing oil stains from driveway

Now that the Champion 6 has been removed from my truck, I can get rid of the nasty oil stains in my driveway. Since oil drippage is a common occurance with our beloved Studebakers, this should be an excellent forum to get advice on how to get rid of it.

Bous points with my wife if I can Git-R-Done....
    Jon Stalnaker
    Karel Staple Chapter SDC

I have had some luck with the oil/dry products similar to cat litter when I used it in my garage. It didn't completely remove the stain but it certainly improved. Use a very generous application and maybe more than once. Problem with outdoor stains is the wind blowing the product.
    Good Luck

Comment

I agree with 55prez, common cat litter has worked for me. Pour it on heavy and let it sit several days before sweeping it up...

Comment

Originally posted by 55champion View Post
        I agree with 55prez, common cat litter has worked for me. Pour it on heavy and let it sit several days before sweeping it up...
        There is no standing oil, only the stains left behind. Does cat litter work on dried up stains?
        Jon Stalnaker
        Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Comment

Try Dawn dish washing liquid in hot, hot water. Scrub it with some kind of stiff bristle brush and then pressure wash it off. That is what I have done on my concrete slab and it was gone.
          sigpic

J&JW Machine Co.
          Bubbaland South
          Resident Machinist

Comment

Cat litter seems to help for the dried up stains as well....

Comment

Only product I have used that works is Purple Power, sold at Advance Auto and other stores. Spray it on with a sprayer (comes in one), let it sit a few minutes, rinse it off with a hose. May take two applications on a really bad spot.

Comment

cat litter works for me, but wear an old pair of "outdoor use only" boots or shoes, and do the twist on the kitty litter over the stains. Then sweep it up. works well on all my territorial marks.
                sigpic
                JohnP, driving & reviving
                60 Lark & 58 Scotsman 4dr

Comment

Ok, this is a top secret remedy that is guaranteed to work.
                  Pour some gasoline on the oil spot(s). As soon as you get the gas on the oil stains, cover it with speedy dry. Use the plain speedy dry, not the dark clay stuff. All you have to do is wait and the speedy dry will pull the gas from the concrete along with the oil stain, then just sweep it up. If it is really yucky, you may have to do it a couple of times. This may not be EPA compliant, but I won't tell.
                  The only real problem with this is you may end up doing your whole driveway. It will really brighten concrete up.
                  Jamie McLeod
                  Hope Mills, NC

1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
                  1958 Commander "Christine"
                  1964 Wagonaire "Louise"
                  1955 Commander Sedan
                  1964 Champ
                  1960 Lark

Comment

Wipe up any oil which is on the surface, then apply a layer of kitty litter, preferably during hot weather. The, as suggested before, do the twist on the kitty litter, grinding it in, let stand for a day or two.

Sweep off the kitty litter, than grind in a layer of lime, let stand a few days and hose off.

Comment

Growing up we always had older cars in the driveway. 2 out of 3 always were leaking something! When I was old enough to tend the pool, I found that the muriatic acid we used to balance the ph in the pool...worked great on the driveway stains. I got the idea after we had the pool acid washed to remove stains. A little dab 'll do ya! Combine that with a chemically resistant stiff brush and you're in business. Just remember that safety gear is your friend. I would put a little on a spot, brush it, then hose it away. If the grease is really caked on, you may need to use some de-greaser first. For me, the oil dry stuff works great on a nice smooth surface. It didn't work well on the pours, old slab we had.

Comment

i like good old simple green and a pressure washer!!
                        Kevin Phillips
                        Jacksonville,AR

53 commander

Comment

I use Simple Green on fresh oil spots. Don't know about old, built-up areas. How 'bout T-S-P? I think we can still get it in California. Used it with a stiff brush on greasy concrete behind a commercial kitchen. Worked fine. Yeah, that was animal and vegetable-based grease, but who knows?
                          KURTRUK
                          (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by allstateguy View Post
                            cat litter works for me, but wear an old pair of "outdoor use only" boots or shoes, and do the twist on the kitty litter over the stains. Then sweep it up. works well on all my territorial marks.
                            That's how I do it too. Put some music on and dance away!

Pat
                            Pat Dilling
                            Olivehurst, CA
                            Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

I'll second the gas and oil dry on concrete. A little gas goes a long way so start off small, do not do the whole driveway at once. You will have to do most of the driveway because it is so white when done it makes the rest look dingy.

Comment

Working...
                              X