Avanti Paint removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avanti Paint removal

Does anyone have a recommended way of removing paint from a 63 Avanti? It looks like a previous owner used paint remover on some parts and it's a real mess now. I have also heard that soda and dry ice blasting is good, but that razor scrape is the best way for fiberglass. Is there an instructional video? Ken, Deltaville, Va

Ken,this is how I did my Avanti.your run of the mill d.a. sander,and I only touched into the factory primer !!! then from there I ran my Hutchins d.a. sander to slightly flatten what the first sander did'nt (with care invested).and applied ppg primer,blocked it and re-primed.some here may turn the eyes up,but I'm not looking to over correct factory waves and trailer it everywhere,just my view <G>
    Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Ken...I don't have an answer for you right now, but I'll be at the body shop tomorrow where my Avanti is have body damage repaired. They installed a replacement door and a NOS front quarter panel. I'll ask them when there how they removed the paint off the replacement door they installed. They specialize in Corvettes so they're well experienced in fiberglass.

If someone else gives you an answer before I can, that's great, but I'll let you know what I find out.
      Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Ken, I restored my brothers 63 a few years back and I completely disassembled the car. I had the body and relative parts plastic media blasted. The guy did a great job and the body man really liked the way the fiberglass was prepped. The car turned out beautiful, so I wouldn't hesitate to do that again in the future. Bill.

Comment

I know a guy in Florida who has painted dozens of Avantis. He only uses razor blades.

Comment

I have been slowly removing paint film, and its alot from the factory, with a razor blade and its peeling real easy. And like a DA you dont want to dig into the glass or stand the DA on the edge of the sanding pad and also dig into the glass. Even the slightest amount will need repaired. If you have access to have it soda blasted that would be my choice, But with soda you will also need to clean before starting any repairs because of a residue that remains from the soda.
            Tom
            sigpic

Comment

When I painted my 63 last year, we used razor blades. What did not come off with those, we blocked the rest off using 80 grit sand paper, either by hand, or on a straight line sander. I would NOT recommend using a DA sander, that is NOT a block! Unless of course you want to sand in more ripples into the fiberglass.
              I went back to Black on my 63, as that is how it came from the factory. A "drastic change" when I bought mine in 1979, it had a "used car lot" paint job on it, and had been painted white. When I painted it in 1981, I went with white.
              But, when I did paint it back in 81, I also blocked it with 80 grit, then sealed it with "Morton Paints Eliminator" a 2 part polyester primer. Eliminator is basically fiberglass resin with a gray pigment added to it. You mix fiberglass hardener and ONLY mix up as much as you can spray in about 15 minutes, as it will get hard!!
              Once the Eliminator dried, i blocked it with 220 grit wet/dry sandpaper. Then a couple of coats of primer (lacquer in 81) and blocked it again with 400 grit wet/dry.
              In my opinion, DO NOT sand on the body WITHOUT using a block! Even when I color sanded last year, I used a block with the 2000 grit!
              I would also NEVER use paint stripper on the body, as you will almost never get all the chemical out! And yes, you will go through a lot of sandpaper! but, the end product with be worth it!

Jim
              "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
              their Memorials!

Comment

Here's a picture of my 63

JimClick image for larger version

Name:	DSC00026.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	1670406
                "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
                their Memorials!

Comment

here's one straight on the side, these were taken last month at Gettysburg
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00028.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	1670407

Jim

their Memorials!

Comment

Interesting topic as I'll need to attack the paint on the 74 sometime in the future. It looks like I should find a deal on single edged razor blades.

Jim's comment on the Morton Eliminator is accurate. It was "relatively" inexpensive when I painted the 54K so I purchased a gallon and sprayed the car. It lays about as flat as anything I've sprayed in the high build primer line. It is not the easiest primer I've sanded but it laid so flat and covered the imperfections so well that minimum wet sanding was all that was required. I'll use it again when I paint the 74.

Bob

Comment

Ken...I asked the fiberglass tech at the body shop who is working on my car now how he does it. He said he used chemical stripper layer by layer until he gets to the primer. Once he gets to the primer coat he uses a rotary sander and carefully takes that coat off.

He's well experienced and does great work, so it works for him. There seems to be a number of ways to do the job and whatever works best for a particular person is what works best.
                      Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

One thing I "forgot" to mention on the Eliminator, it does NOT sand very well dry, but wet sanding goes very easy and before you even start sanding, use a spray bomb of black and put a light guide coat on the Eliminator, that makes the small imperfections show up! There is also a guide coat powder that you can rub on, but a couple cans of spray bomb black works just as well.

Jim

their Memorials!

Comment

Originally posted by 52 Ragtop View Post
                          One thing I "forgot" to mention on the Eliminator, it does NOT sand very well dry, but wet sanding goes very easy and before you even start sanding, use a spray bomb of black and put a light guide coat on the Eliminator, that makes the small imperfections show up! There is also a guide coat powder that you can rub on, but a couple cans of spray bomb black works just as well.

Jim
                          I find a laquer base works better than the enamel base spray bomb. Remember this is only a trace coat and not a complete coverage coat, You are only trying to get a little contrasting color into the imperfection of the primer to know when all is good on sanding.
                          Tom
                          Last edited by COMMANDERPINK1; 08-17-2011, 09:44 AM.
                          sigpic

Comment

On the Bucket List Dream we started with the razor blades only to discover that there was a better way. We called Jim at So-Klean Media Blasting in Templeton,CA. We had the car towed to his shop in the morning and the car was back that afternoon. There was no damage to the glass and it was ready for a smoothing sand and then primer. Took hours of work off the plate and it truned out smooth with no waves. Wouldn't do a glass car any other way. Here are before and after pics:

The front of the car only had one coat of paint. The back of the the car had nine coats of paint. Jim told me he started back about five or six feet to loosen the paint, then he moved closer to remove the rest of the paint and not harm the glass. Here is a pic of the finsihed paint job:

Comment

So, what did he use, soda, plastic, glass?

Comment

Working...
                              X