What all swaps on a '50 and '51?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What all swaps on a '50 and '51?

So I found a 1950 coupe I think I'm going to get and I know of a 1951 that would probably be good for parts. The '51 has a sunvisor that I'd definitely want to use.

Originally posted by DudeStude View Post
    So I found a 1950 coupe I think I'm going to get and I know of a 1951 that would probably be good for parts. The '51 has a sunvisor that I'd definitely want to use.
    The list could be long, but not of most body parts, particularly the nose section. 1950s and 1951s have a similar look, but they are different cars - body, front suspension, Commander engines, etc. First we would need to know if the 1950 is a Champion or Commander.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Suspension was different, 51 was the first v8, as well. The body panels don't exchange between certain models (e.g. Champion to Commander or Land Cruiser), but I think the basic tubs were the same 47 through 52. Is it a business coupe or a starlite?
      Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

wow, we REALLY need a topic in the "Tech Tips, Specs and Data" link for this, as often as it comes up.

No, I am NOT saying anything about new owners asking the question. Go new owners!!!! Ask and you shall receive.

Comment

The sun visor will swap.
          "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '33 Rockne 10,
          '51 Commander Starlight,
          '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
          '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

If the '50 is a Commander Big Six, there is almost nothing but the body tub that is the same as a '51.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

StudeRich, I tried to send you a private message but it is full. Anyway, I received a phone call from a customer who needs a 1950 champion hood. He is located in Seattle Wa. He has tried to call you but you have not return his call. Do you have a hood for him?

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
                The sun visor will swap.
                The '50 had a 2 piece windshield and the '51 had a 1 piece windshield. So, you would need the corresponding mounting for the windshield type.

Comment

John, The 1950 starlights champion and commanders came with a one piece front winshield. But you are correct in some respect.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnMSeymour View Post
                    The '50 had a 2 piece windshield and the '51 had a 1 piece windshield. So, you would need the corresponding mounting for the windshield type.
                    Not true. It depends on the body style.
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

studegary, please state it depends. As I stated, 1950 starlight and commander had a one piece front glass.

Comment

To try and turn this thread back positive for the somewhat "newbie" original poster...

Regarding windshields (not that you asked):

The same one-piece w/s was used from 47-52 on convertibles, 3 passenger coupes, 5 passenger coupes (Starlight), and Landcruisers. And the one-year only '52 hardtop.
                        47-50 2 and 4 door sedans used 2 piece flat w/s. In 51-52 the sedans switched to the same one-piece w/s.
                        KURTRUK
                        (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

OK. I stand corrected. I seem to remember that my '50 Starlight Coupe Regal Deluxe (that I had back in the seventies!) had a two piece windshield. But, that was a long time ago. Anyway, this is good conversation and I agree this would be a good subject to cover in Tech Tips. Any volunteers?

Comment

Working...
                          X