Avanti made in Canada?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avanti made in Canada?

Again last evening at the local cruise-in I was told once again by a viewer that "The Avanti was made for a time in Canada...maybe as a kit car." I told the fellow that the Avanti had not been made in Canada. Sometimes there is a reason for such a legend to get started. Does anyone have an idea as to how the story got started? I told the gentleman that Studebakers were made in Hamilton, but no Avanti car was made there. He was surprised when I told him the last ones were made in Cancun.
    "Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional." author unknown

Avanti of Canada?

Sure, the most logical explaination is, since the majority of the non-informed THINK they remember that Studebaker "MOVED TO CANADA", it is ASSUMED that the Larks, Hawks, Trucks and Avantis were built there.

Of course we know that they merely just closed civilian production at South Bend, dropped all but the Lark Types, and continued production at the existing smaller but, more efficient, newer, Hamilton, Ontario Plant.

Then some people remember that "someone" bought the Avanti rights and tooling and started building them, so since Studebaker was in Canada in 1965, it almost makes sense that a Canadian might have bought the Avanti.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
      Sure, the most logical explaination is, since the majority of the non-informed THINK they remember that Studebaker "MOVED TO CANADA", it is ASSUMED that the Larks, Hawks, Trucks and Avantis were built there.Of course we know that they merely just closed civilian production at South Bend, dropped all but the Lark Types, and continued production at the existing smaller but, more efficient, newer, Hamilton, Ontario Plant.

Then some people remember that "someone" bought the Avanti rights and tooling and started building them, so since Studebaker was in Canada in 1965, it almost makes sense that a Canadian might have bought the Avanti.
      Rich: Thanks for the response. Your assessment aligns with what I tell individuals when the incorrect history is mentioned and that is often. It is amazing how many people come up with the incorrect legend. Some are argumentive and quite convinced of their version.
      "Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional." author unknown

Comment

When production was transferred to Canada after December 9th 1963, in the Lark category the Daytona convertible and hardtop lines were also dropped. We continued with Commander, Daytona, Wagonaire and Cruiser.
        Stu Chapman

Comment

Not quite, Stu. Convertibles and hardtops were continued to be built until the end of the 1964 model run (at least until July, 1964)

Comment

Art is correct, I know the where abouts of one of the 3 6 cylinder 63 convertibles built in Canada.

Jim
            "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
            their Memorials!

Comment

Originally posted by 52 Ragtop View Post
              Art is correct, I know the where abouts of one of the 3 6 cylinder 63 convertibles built in Canada.

Jim
              The discussion was on 1964 models, not 1963.
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

In my earlier comment I didn't intend to infer that we immediately ceased production of convertibles and hardtops after South Bend closed. Rather what we announced in Hamilton was that Studebaker would continue with Commander (2 models), Daytona (Sports Sedan), Wagonaire and Cruiser sedan in future production which meant 1965 models. Certainly, we did continue to build the current 64 model line until we were ready for 65 production, using the GM McKinnon engines, however production of 64 convertibles and hardtops did cease prior to the end of production of the rest of the line. Following consultation with George Krem and Andy Beckman it would appear the last 64 six cylinder convertible was built in Hamilton on July 6th 1964 and the last 64 eight cylinder convertible came off the line on May 15th 1964. These two serial numbers respectively were C103674 and C502956. We really don't know for certain when the last hardtop was built since the production orders may not be complete. As a point of interest, Canadian-built serial numbers for 1964 models were 8 digit alpha/numeric versions until January 2nd 1964 when we changed over to a seven digit system. The first serial number for sixes was C100001 and for eights it was C500001. My 64 Daytona convertible was built on November 29th 1963 and carried the old serial version of 64VC2294. If it had been a six its serial would have begun with 64SC.
                Stu Chapman

Comment

I love it! Not so much the minutia of details you folks sometimes engage in. But, the fact that some of you who "Were there" still hang around and contribute to the ongoing saga of the Studebaker experience. Keep it coming!
                  John Clary
                  Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

I hear that at almost every event I go to.
                    StudeRich's answer is correct, people equate later Studebaker with Canada.
                    63 Avanti R1 2788
                    1914 Stutz Bearcat
                    (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

THANKS Stu, that's good information. One thing I've always wondered: in mid-1964 did the corporation set some kind of "drop dead date" for engines made in South Bend -- a date when the Hamilton operation had to have its final orders in for engines? Also - the top of the engine line after December 9th was the 289 with 4 barrel, right? Or were R1 and R2 options retained while South Bend engines continued in production?
                      Gene Nagle
                      1963 Hawk R1
                      1985 Avanti

Comment

In response to Gene Nagle, yes we sort of had a so-called drop dead date for South Bend engines. In effect we continued to import a sufficient number of engines to satisfy the anticipated production schedule up to 1965 model launch date. Unfortunately I cannot recall when a specific date was put in place. As you are aware we switched to GM's McKinnon Industries engines for the 1965 models and that launch date couldn't be set until the engine deal was in place. GM wanted us to also buy Powerglide automatics but we prevailed and continued with Borg-Warner units. As a matter of interest, we could have bought those engines from a U.S. GM plant for $100. less per unit but GM would only agree to supply if we took them from their St. Catharines, Ontario McKinnon operation. Initially those GM-supplied engines were supplied with yellow valve covers to be consistent with the Studebaker practice, but before too long GM decided that was an unnecessary additional cost to them so the paint color was changed to black. The top engine was the Studebaker 289 with 4 bbl and Avanti engines were not an option in 1964 model Canadian-built cars.
                        Stu Chapman

Comment

Originally posted by Stu Chapman View Post
                          In response to Gene Nagle, yes we sort of had a so-called drop dead date for South Bend engines. In effect we continued to import a sufficient number of engines to satisfy the anticipated production schedule up to 1965 model launch date. Unfortunately I cannot recall when a specific date was put in place. As you are aware we switched to GM's McKinnon Industries engines for the 1965 models and that launch date couldn't be set until the engine deal was in place. GM wanted us to also buy Powerglide automatics but we prevailed and continued with Borg-Warner units. As a matter of interest, we could have bought those engines from a U.S. GM plant for $100. less per unit but GM would only agree to supply if we took them from their St. Catharines, Ontario McKinnon operation. Initially those GM-supplied engines were supplied with yellow valve covers to be consistent with the Studebaker practice, but before too long GM decided that was an unnecessary additional cost to them so the paint color was changed to black. The top engine was the Studebaker 289 with 4 bbl and Avanti engines were not an option in 1964 model Canadian-built cars.
                          Stu Chapman
                          I'd like to know exactly when that drop off date was. I know where there is a Canadian built '65 with an original STUDEBAKER engine. I've always wondered about that car.
                          Chris Dresbach

Comment

At this point I can't provide any exact answers Chris. I too have heard about some 65s out there with Stude engines. I'll check with a couple of sources who were production supervisors and see if they can shed any light on this. However it'll be a few days before I am likely to get any further information.
                            Stu Chapman

Comment

Chris, can you provide me with the serial number of that car? An engine number would be helpful as well.
                              Stu Chapman

Comment

Working...
                              X